Chapter IV: Talents and Traits

By FFG Andy Fischer, in Proofreading Changes

Welcome to the proofreading changes sub-forum for the Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Beta.

In this thread, you can list any proofreading changes you find in Chapter IV: Talents and Traits.

The Bastion of Iron Will and the Warp talents in Mental fortitude refers to the users psy rating, but psy rating is not a prerequisite. Is this an error?

And how are non-psykers supposed to get access to Strong Minded?

I am not sure exactly how the talent tree prerequisites works. Do you need all talents in any path, or do you need all talents in one path (from the root).

For example, in the Ranged Talents.

If you want to learn Crippling Shot, do you need to learn both Hawk's Eye and Marksman, or will it suffice to learn one of them?

The text on page 97 is as follows:

"Then, the player must trace a direct line along the tree’s paths from the top-most talent down to the desired talent. If there are any intervening talents that the character does not possess, those must be purchased first."

Notice that paths are in plural, so it means all paths?

Is the range on Luminen Arc (given as 160m) correct? It seems a bit high to me, considering Luminen Blast only has 20m, yet is in a higher tier of the talent tree...

The description of Warp Lock on p 106 refers to psychic powers counting as "being on the fettered level". But there is no mention of fettered as an option in chapter 6.

Is this just a copy/paste error from OW? Personally, I miss the Fettered option :(

The Fear Trait on page 127 lacks Heading, and also states: " For more information on fear, see page 127."

A recursive reference, and not terribly helpful :)

The text box on Fear effects, under "Flee": " If he is prevented

from fleeing, he dazed for the duration, and suffers a –20 to all tests."
Should be "he is dazed".
Edited by Darth Smeg

Page 98, Responsive

Extra a in the first sentence.

Quick draw on page 108.

It states that the ready action can be performed for 0 AP.

However, the ready action allows for other things, like coating a weapon with poison and I would assume stow away weapons again.

Perhaps quick draw should be specified to only allow the Ready action to cost 0 AP for the specific event of drawing a weapon or procuring something from your pockets? And thus not allow poisoning and stow away items to be done for 0 AP?

Prosanguine lists a cost of 200 xp on p. 119 (in the tree), 600xp on p. 120 (in the text)

Omnissiah’s blessing lists a cost of 200 xp on p. 119 (in the tree), 400xp on p. 120 (in the text)

This is for the NEW rules set:

p. 101 Two-weapon wielder:

... It can be enhanced by the Blade Dancer, Gunslinger, and Sidearm talents.

These talents do not seem to exist. Is this a reference to Only War which escaped editing?

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this, but it is the closest I could find. The Paranoia Talent is missing, under Hiveworlder the book says you start with it, and its listed in the index as being on pg 99 but its not there.

Beta #2

Pg. 90 Table 4-1 of the Tier 1 Talents:

Clues from the Crowds: Benefit says: "Can re-roll a test made to gather information from a groups ." Should be "group".

Edited by Elior

The Hive Worlder starting talent can be Paranoia - the talent seems not to exist in the descriptions though...

The Hive Worlder starting talent can be Paranoia - the talent seems not to exist in the descriptions though...

This was corrected in the latest update. It no longer references that talent.

Ah - ok...sad though that Paranoia disappears... :(

Thanks for the information

Halo of Command, effect -> affect, page 96. Pretty sure at least. :)

2 Talents that need clarification:

> Devastating Assault: does this talent still make sense with the new opposed Evading ? Maybe give bonus damage instead ?

> Eye of Vengeance: does this work with called shots ? Currently it wouldnt work - but I think it would make sense to work with it

1 hint for a trait:

> Regeneration (X): just heals wounds, not fatigue. Intended ?

Edited by GauntZero

p93: Blind Fighting: the Tier-table says the penalties are halved, the talent description says they disappear completely ?

p104: Machine trait says its armour points are usefull against fire damage - natural armour does not say such a thing, but wouldnt it also make sense ?

Ambidextrous seems to become absolutely obsolete with Two-Weapon Master...

Shoudlnt there be

a.) a different bonus that doesnt replace each other

or

b.) Ambideextrous being a prerequisite for Unarmed Master ?

Speaking of which, Two-Weapon Wielder mentions the Blade Dancer, Gunslinger, and Sidearm talents, all of which seem to have been rolled into the Two-Weapon Master talent instead.

The Blademaster Talent (p. 93) has WS 30 as a prerequisite. This may not be a typo, but it seems unusually low for such a powerful Tier 3 Talent.