Make better use of the Single Shot Quality

By KommissarK, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

A lot of ranged weapons have a decreased RoF in a seeming attempt to curb their use with regards to multiple hits. A RoF 1/3 weapon has no chance of generating more than one hit in a turn, and even then, can barely be aimed (it takes 3 AP to shoot, and the Aim action now only benefits attacks made that turn).

The Single Shot quality exists, but is worded to reference very low tech/simple weapons. It forces the RoA of a weapon to 1 no matter its RoF.

I feel alot of the weapons listed in this book should have RoF of 1/3 altered to be RoF 1/2, or even 1, but gain the Single Shot quality.

This is mainly looking at sniper rifles, but would even make sense for melta weapons, and the long-las.

Agreed, it would be a great way to fix up the problem with AP and compatibility.

Well, seeing as I mentioned something that is, for all intents and purposes, nearly identical elsewhere, I have to agree here. RoF under 1 don't make a lot of sense if you consider how weapons are used in the first place. You can't even use the excuse that those guns require more aiming, because their is a separate action just for that.

I still feel that SS is a bit too weak right now, especially since multiple shots have cumulative bonuses between APs used. Returning the damage bonus to accurate should alleviate some of that, especially if it can only be fired once a round anyways.

especially since multiple shots have cumulative bonuses between APs used.

Could you clarify what you mean?

At the moment, high RoF/RoA doesn't cause the wound effect of a single attack to balloon, because the wound effect modifiers only count for wounds recieved before the attack was made, not wounds recieved by hits from the attack.

A lot of ranged weapons have a decreased RoF in a seeming attempt to curb their use with regards to multiple hits. A RoF 1/3 weapon has no chance of generating more than one hit in a turn, and even then, can barely be aimed (it takes 3 AP to shoot, and the Aim action now only benefits attacks made that turn).

The Single Shot quality exists, but is worded to reference very low tech/simple weapons. It forces the RoA of a weapon to 1 no matter its RoF.

I feel alot of the weapons listed in this book should have RoF of 1/3 altered to be RoF 1/2, or even 1, but gain the Single Shot quality.

This is mainly looking at sniper rifles, but would even make sense for melta weapons, and the long-las.

I agree that there is a huge issue here but I don't think making them Single Shot is the solution. Single Shot seems to imply something akin to Laslocks or rifles with bolts. The generic kinetic marksman rifle in 40k is more akin to an SR-25 than that so I think it would be safer to give it a RoF of 1 or even 3/2's.

Well if you give a Sniper Rifle RoF 1 it becomes terrifying is the thing. In the hands of a capable marksman, it could end up pulling off 3 hits in a turn, and 1d10+10 pen 3 is pretty messy in this game.

Well if you give a Sniper Rifle RoF 1 it becomes terrifying is the thing. In the hands of a capable marksman, it could end up pulling off 3 hits in a turn, and 1d10+10 pen 3 is pretty messy in this game.

As it should be.

If you change the RoF to one, then a sniper will be able to aim, called shot and still have 1 AP left for evading, if needed. And why not 3 shots in a round? THe heavy bolter has an RoF of 3, so it can hit, potentially, 3 times per AP, and it only has 1 less Pen than the sniper rifle. Both have 1d10+10, if I remember correctly.