Inter-Game Compatibility....

By kwinland, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Howdy,

I have to scratch my head as to why FFG chose to do substantial changes with the DH system, when they are QUITE different from Only War and the later iterations of the 40K RPG. The blurb at the head of the news announcement indicated that the other 40K RPG lines (RT/DW/BC/OW) will NOT be getting Second Edition treatments, thus making DH as hard or even harder to integrate/reconcile with the rest of the games as the 1st Edition currently is.

I would have thought the the way to go would be make the rules as compatible with the latest iteration of the 40K RPG line....? I have only started going through my copy of the DH 2.0 Beta.

I am interested to see where the Askellon Sector is in relation to the other published sectors.

Cheers,

Ken

Howdy,

I have to scratch my head as to why FFG chose to do substantial changes with the DH system, when they are QUITE different from Only War and the later iterations of the 40K RPG. The blurb at the head of the news announcement indicated that the other 40K RPG lines (RT/DW/BC/OW) will NOT be getting Second Edition treatments, thus making DH as hard or even harder to integrate/reconcile with the rest of the games as the 1st Edition currently is.

It's actually impossible to reconcile. If the changes from DH to BC are like D&D 3 to D&D 3.5, this beta is like going from 3.5 to 4e - some of the terms may sound familiar, but they actually mean different things now, and there is no backwards compatibility whatsoever.

As to the reasons, well, I don't actually believe they're willing to continue 1e if 2e sells. If you ask me, they're just saying that right now to not cause panic and keep their options open should DH2 flop, but if it works out for them, we'll be seeing even more decline in 1e lines' publishing schedules. It's the only reasonable course of action, otherwise they'll end up like Wizards of the Coast - with a raging edition war, trying to pander to all groups simultaneously and ultimately losing clients from both ends.

There wont be anymore publishing for DH 1.0 - they say as much when they say they won't publish for the Calixis sector anymore.

...otherwise they'll end up like Wizards of the Coast - with a raging edition war, trying to pander to all groups simultaneously and ultimately losing clients from both ends.

Seems to me, from some of the posts around, that we're already there. The fires are started, it's just a matter of time before we see if they can be controlled. *sigh*

One of my favorite things in 40kRPG is how easy porting over things from one line to another is.

Given the differences in how Wounds work, the new weapon Qualities, and the switch to the Action Points system, bringing over NPCs, creatures, and gear will be a nightmare.

Howdy,

It's actually impossible to reconcile. If the changes from DH to BC are like D&D 3 to D&D 3.5, this beta is like going from 3.5 to 4e - some of the terms may sound familiar, but they actually mean different things now, and there is no backwards compatibility whatsoever.

As to the reasons, well, I don't actually believe they're willing to continue 1e if 2e sells. If you ask me, they're just saying that right now to not cause panic and keep their options open should DH2 flop, but if it works out for them, we'll be seeing even more decline in 1e lines' publishing schedules. It's the only reasonable course of action, otherwise they'll end up like Wizards of the Coast - with a raging edition war, trying to pander to all groups simultaneously and ultimately losing clients from both ends.

Howdy,

The WoTC edition war was due to the flop of 4th Edition - with NO 4e Product on the schedule for 2+ years, they had to support *any* iteration of D&D, or their Hasbro masters would drop the axe on them.

Cheers,

Ken

One of my favorite things in 40kRPG is how easy porting over things from one line to another is.

Given the differences in how Wounds work, the new weapon Qualities, and the switch to the Action Points system, bringing over NPCs, creatures, and gear will be a nightmare.

Howdy,

Yeah, it will be a HERCULEAN effort - simply *not* worth it. Better to port over some of the preferred changes from BC/OW to DH.

THAT said, if the new edition of DH had something to offer it could *possibly* stand on its own legs. On the first read-through of the draft, I am just not seeing that. Some interesting ideas, but a LOT of sloppy stats (did *anyone* look at the weapons/armour write-ups in the playtest groups?) and changes that could easily have been made as updates to DH 1.0.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi all,

time for me to wade in to this one after one of my players reactions last night - keep with me on this one.

I've been reading the 2E rulebook since it was released, and last night I announced its existance to my players (we are currently about 4 sessions into yet another Dh1e campaign) and gave them a brief summery of the changes made (new char gen, new skills and talent systems, new weapons, new combat, etc) any the first thing that any of them mentioned (after the shock sunk in about having a new edition) was that they wanted actual in-game money not an influence stat, and straight after that they wanted to know how they could integrate there fav RT/OW careers into 2e.

When I told them you couldn't integrate the immediate reaction was, and I must stress I didn't say this but it is a quote from one of my players

"So 2e isn't compatable with any of the old stuff, well clearly FFG just wants to milk us for money all over again I'm going to stay with the first ed games"

Now I am not going to accuse FFG of releasing 2e just ot make money, there were some fundimental flaws in DH1 that most GM's have had to house rule around at some point, but to have a long term 40k fanatic - both table top and rp - decide that FFG was trying to make a cash cow simply by preventing people form using there old material does make me wonder how many groups that have the full set of the older lines will actually adopt the new system.

Regards

Surak

For me personally, the different power levels and goals of the various games never meshed well anyway. I would rather have a fresh, second edition of Dark Heresy to play than an update of the original system to integrate better with other games.

For me personally, the different power levels and goals of the various games never meshed well anyway. I would rather have a fresh, second edition of Dark Heresy to play than an update of the original system to integrate better with other games.

Same here, I never once did a crossover game between game lines, so compatibility is less important for me than solid rules are. I don't agree with all the changes, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if it had just been Only War with different specialities, because that's already been done, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the money.

Same here, I never once did a crossover game between game lines, so compatibility is less important for me than solid rules are. I don't agree with all the changes, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if it had just been Only War with different specialities, because that's already been done, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the money.

Its interesting to see the different way groups have used the 40K RP line - since RT my groups have almost always been a mix of the product lines - with the exception of a very short-lived DW campaign. We have had an Inquisitor and his Acolytes mixed up in the RT Lure of the Expanse campaign book, and a RT crew going through the Purge the Unclean DH campaign.

At the end of the day it is always going to be down to personal preference, but for me (and a lot of people it would seem) having games set in the same universe that don't work together seems to be a problem that FFG should at least consider during this Beta Test.

Regards

Surak