Edge of the Empire Form Field PDF

By Caied, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

My group was looking for a PDF they could fill out and share digitally over dropbox/etc. I found one and modified it to provide a little more flexibility and convenience when filling out the form and wanted to offer it here in case others were interested as well.

Based of DylanRPG's original form fillable character sheet PDF with some (a lot...) adjustments and changes.

Sheets and variants are at the bottom of this post.

Updated! Char Sheet v4 and Vehicle Sheet v1

Vehicle v1

• Added base functionality as well as High Contrast/Low ink use version of Vehicle sheet

Char v4

• Modified 2nd page from the Core Book standard character sheet to include several new form fields
  • Added 3rd page with extra talent spaces and large area for notes/additional gear/background information
  • NEW Higher Contrast version to help save on Ink Cartridges if you'd like to print the sheet (I don't have a printer so let me know how this one works out)
  • Adjustments to Obligation and Motivation box layout
  • Re-optimized, both character sheets are around ~800kb

Char v3

• Improved performance
  • Drastically decreased filesize (by almost 2mb!)

Char v2

• Added Auto-Dice generation based on stats/skills. (thanks for the inspiration Kallabaca)
  • Generally improved some issues with alignment
  • General improvements to appeal
  • Updated PDF pages with higher res character sheets from FFG's website (using the same pdf style as found in the back of the core book, this resulted in a loss of the "critical injury" box in place of "Other" distinguishing features)

Char v1

• Fixed Tab order issues (you should be able to hit tab and correctly progress to the next logical form field)
  • Added form fields for each section and subsection (i.e. weapon, damage, range, crit, special, etc for weapons)
  • Check boxes for skills
  • Improved alignment of form fields

Tested on

• PC/Mac
  • iOS (note: Adobe Reader app (free) highly suggested as the 'lite' pdf readers in Dropbox and other apps do not display any custom forms or their data, resulting in a "blank" character sheet)
  • iOS note 2: Adobe Reader App will correctly display the filled out sheets, but does not run the javascript necessary to update it. As such any changes (in order to take advantage of the auto-dice) will have to be done in an appropriate program.

Example Character Sheet

http://i.imgur.com/ytLAAyb.jpg

EotE Character Sheet v4

EotE Character Sheet HC v4 (low ink)

EotE Vehicle Sheet v1

EotE Vehicle Sheet HC v1 (low ink)

Edited by Caied

hey is it because im using reader and not acrobat that it wont let me save after filling it in?

Or you could try Aazlain's (see signature).

hey is it because im using reader and not acrobat that it wont let me save after filling it in?

Yes, that could be a reason. Unless the creator of the PDF extends the permissions to reader (or you're using Reader XI) then you can't save the form with just reader.

Yes, that could be a reason. Unless the creator of the PDF extends the permissions to reader (or you're using Reader XI) then you can't save the form with just reader.

thanks i got it now, i just had to find a copy of acrobat!

I'm positively thrilled you improved upon my efforts : ) I will use your version for sure and share it with my online group.

I'm positively thrilled you improved upon my efforts : ) I will use your version for sure and share it with my online group.

Thanks DylanRPG! It's hard to know how people will react when you use their work as a basis, so I'm glad to hear you like it.

yes definitely! thanks for pointing this out, i'll make sure to fix the issue so that Reader users can edit and save. It'll be a little bit since I don't have access to Acrobat at work.

Edited by Caied

Nice work, Caied. If you ever feel like doing form-field versions of the vehicle and group sheets, I'll be happy to yoink them as well. Have a like.

So I'm checking out this sheet and I really enjoy it so far.

It definitely fixes some minor flaws in my own version, such as my inability to line up squares properly, and my lazy refusal to make little boxes for all the skill ranks :D

I'm kinda giggling at myself while I check out this far superior work. It's badass. Thanks for doing it (genuinely).

I'm loving the dice pool calculations, that's a really neat feature. I considered doing something similar (with an auto-fill feature for some stats) while maintaining the official page structure, but given the limitations of Acrobat decided against it. Never even considered auto-dice.

Edited by Caied

Updated the character sheet using Auto-dice generation. Many thanks for the great idea Kallabecca! It took a little bit to figure out the javascript (had to re-teach myself after 10 years of no scripting) and adapt it to my naming conventions.

Also the sheet should now be writeable in Adobe Reader

(note: Adobe Reader iOS can properly read all the text and custom fields when filled out. However it does not run the Javascript necessary to properly *edit* the files. So heads up)

Example Character Sheet

http://i.imgur.com/ytLAAyb.jpg

Edge of Empire Character Sheet v2

Edited by Caied

Wow, version 2 is just wow. I almost didn't see it until I scrolled down (add it to original post?)

Sometimes I wish publishers did these things already.

Updated the character sheet using Auto-dice generation.

Looks great!

Wow, version 2 is just wow. I almost didn't see it until I scrolled down (add it to original post?)

Done

Nice job.

thanks! Next up Optimization. File size and performance has bloated a bit, gotta pull it back down.

What is a Form Field PDF? :lol:

EDIT: WHOA! Nevermind... I have always heard it as Form Filled... thought it was a typo. LOL

Great form in any rate. I use it for my online Roll20 campaign.

Edited by BrashFink

This is seriously one of the most underrated character sheets (I mean it visually shows the dice pool).

All three of the ones I've done have that as well (and he got it from mine, hahah).

All three of the ones I've done have that as well (and he got it from mine, hahah).

It was a pretty genius way of calculating the dice pools. Though our naming conventions were totally different so it took a couple hours of troubleshooting to get the same logic working correctly (once i figured out how it worked and relearned JS)

This is seriously one of the most underrated character sheets (I mean it visually shows the dice pool).

Thanks Tallon! I tend to prefer the official sheets of most games since they tend to have a better 'flavor' than most custom sheets. I kinda shot myself in the foot by not naming the thread with a more descriptive title... :wacko:

Edited by Caied

Loving the sheet. Set it up for my family's characters tonight, looks great.

One minor suggestion - the yellow color on the dice pools is oddly hard to see. It might be helped by either changing the tone a bit, or (my preference) changing the icon to have a black border.

Thanks for the effort!

This is awesome! My group will now be using this. You, sir, ROCK!