1000 Thrones Vs Paths of the Damned

By gmanjkd, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hello, I'm going to run either run TTT or POTD next.

Which requires more prep work?

Is there anything in TTT that would spoil or break POTD if I run TTT first?

Thanks

Gary

Hi,

TTT is definitely more "high-level" campaign than PotD. So, I would go PotD first.

Also PotD is far more less prep work. TTT is huge campaing with various interesting elements - I would recommend reading most of the book and designing more how to involve players in the various events and turns AND how the campaign will take them through the Empire. PotD is much more straight forward and easily adapted.

As for the timeline, both are set after Storm of Chaos war. Even PotD starting date/year could easily be forwarded, it is meant to happen RIGHT after the war - Which is especially seen in the first part of the campaing (the Middenheim). Now TTT can much more openly start year, or few years after the war.

Thousand thrones certainly requires more prep if you plan on modiying it or using the fan-published modifications.

Paths of the damned is very straightforward (for any system), but Forges of Nuln can be a bit of a pain as there are a lot of clues to manage (as are most investigative scenarios).

Paths of the damned part 2 in Altdorf works best if you give the PCs a blanked-out sheet (remove the relationship lines, but leave the pictures.)

jh

TTT needs alot of tinkering - ran it with my group and had to alter alot. Gladly I found valvoriks summary here on the boards and used it as a helper.

but some chapters of the original are just too odd and dont make sense in the flow (like chapter2).

We played ~30h in total. My group ended up killing Karl to restore balance.

I am currently running Thousand Thrones and we are towards the last chapters of the Campaign now.

We have not played POTD, but I did notice several places within Thousand Thrones where they assume that some events in POTD already took place, or suggest to throw in parts of the POTD campaign between certain chapters.

From a Thousand Thrones point of view I have not found anything problematic at all, but I am still left with a feeling that I missed a few "funny" references to POTD events within the campaign.

My players are currently imprisoned and awaiting their executions.

Thanks guys! Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I thought I had already done so. I am taking your advise and running PoTD next. Thanks again.