Foul thing from the deep

By joefling34, in War of the Ring

If the fellowship is in Dale but Dale has been overrun by a shadow army, can the SP play cards that say "if the fellowship is not in a free peoples settlement"?

Well, mustering and Hunt (also healing) are limited to places that your side controlled at the start of the game and are still in control. I'd hazard a guess that this applies here as well. Since Settlements are something that you can control as well.

"A Free Peoples City or Stronghold means a City or
Stronghold controlled by the Free Peoples at the beginning of
the game. In order to Heal, the City or Stronghold must
naturally still be in the control of the Free Peoples."

I completely agree with Dam.

"In order to Heal, the City or Stronghold must
naturally still be in the control of the Free Peoples"

Ok this is true and more obvious. But to me a Free Peoples stronghold is a Free Peoples stronghold regardless of who controls it. If the FSP is in Rivendell with Elven units... and then a Saruon army besieges it, the SP can now play cards as if the FSP was not in a FP settlement? That doesnt seem right to me. That makes it way to easy to play very deadly cards against the FP. The SP should have to get the FSP out of rivendell by having a successful hunt and reaveling it out. That seems more thematic. I just want some reassurance on this. I always play my unclear rules with whatever Krieghun says, but this just seems to odd. Thanks for the help guys!

joefling34 said:

"In order to Heal, the City or Stronghold must
naturally still be in the control of the Free Peoples"

Ok this is true and more obvious. But to me a Free Peoples stronghold is a Free Peoples stronghold regardless of who controls it. If the FSP is in Rivendell with Elven units... and then a Saruon army besieges it, the SP can now play cards as if the FSP was not in a FP settlement? That doesnt seem right to me. That makes it way to easy to play very deadly cards against the FP. The SP should have to get the FSP out of rivendell by having a successful hunt and reaveling it out. That seems more thematic. I just want some reassurance on this. I always play my unclear rules with whatever Krieghun says, but this just seems to odd. Thanks for the help guys!

In your example, FP is still in control of Rivendell. Rivendell's region isn't a "free region" anymore, as the SP troops can now move in and out without problems. SP can however play "One For the Dark Lord" combat card if they are besieging Rivendell and the FSP is inside. Also in that situation (well, let's say Lorien), FSP can still Heal corruption, even though it's under siege.

"Q. What is a “Free Region”?
A. A “Free Region” is a Region free of enemy armies and/or
enemy-controlled Settlements. A Region containing an enemy
Stronghold is also considered Free if you are besieging the
Stronghold."