Possibly the most noobish question there is

By TheDauntlessFew, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

How do you fight a door? Armor and health stats are given for a sealed door but with most GM's i've seen using the rule of "you always had just enough ammo with you" for standard munitions and the door being unable to fight back surely it's just an instant victory. I may be overthinking this but when a sealed bunker door is in the way how are you meant to go about with forcing it open?

The only use for this I can think of is the longer they spend shooting at it the more likely something is attracted by the sound.

Edited by TheDauntlessFew

Has anyone just walked up to it and "handled the mechanism control"....be it a keypad, handle, yoke, dog-wheel or knob? Sometimes one doesn't HAVE to fight with EVERYTHING.....

It's using the adventure from the core book which specifies that the door is "deadlocked from within and will require considerable force to open". When making my own stories most doors will have alternate routes but since the one in the premade adventure seems to require brute force and based on what I know about the people who I will be the GM for about 3 of the 4 of them will vote to just blow it up half the time so it'll be useful to know what to do in that scenario.

In the recent BL paperback "Deathwatch", there are a couple of instances where a few members of the Kill Team have to work cooperatively to physically "open" an air-lock styled door with no functional keypad or other mechanism. Perhaps that is what is intended is to see if the "team" is thinking enough like a "team" to chime in that THAT is what they are going to do. Then an approp[riate "tesat" can be devised for them to pass. Lets say the door has a Strength of XXX, and so 2, 3, or 4 team members need to combine their effort and add their combined strengths together to offset the door. Example:

Door (ST 130) vs # of Marines combined ST to equal or surpass the strength of the door and roll a test to succeed. GM could make all the members succeed for the door to be opened or designate one person for the "test" or whatever. Degrees of success could be formulated by the GM to make it as easy or difficult as he/she wishes depending how.....miserly they want to be.

In the paperback, it took a significant effort by several of the Marines to open the hatch door (I won't spill any spoilers). They had to pass through it going in and again while making egress. Perhaps that is the answer you are looking for. There are Solo as well as Squad Mode abilities....perhaps the instance you speak of is just an extension of such to demonstrate to the GM that the "team" is in fact thinking the way they should when an appropriate circumstance presents.

That idea sounds pretty much perfect. It'll still be a week or two till we begin but I'll note that down and use it at that point in the game and probably a couple of times in my own campaigns in the future. Thanks for your help :)

Battering down, or physically forcing open, a door should be a strength test. The GM sets the difficulty for the door in question.

Attacking the door with weapons is simple: It is an unaware and helpless target. Therefore it cannot react ( >.> ), is hit automatically, damage is rolled twice, and 2 10s equal auto-RF. The GM determines how much damage, armour, etc. the door has, probably best to consider their damage as vehicles.

Wooden doors shouldn't be an issue for space marines, but shouldn't be easy for normal humans to beat down. Metal doors should at least slow down a space marine, short of a powerfist it shouldn't be 1-hit to get through. Armoured doors should be very difficult for space marines to open, or damage. Armourd blast doors should be almost impossible for even space marines to open up.

Some fast and furious example rules for doors, these are normal house-door sized increase armour by 10% and SI by 25% each time size doubles:
Wooden: Hard (-20) test. Armour: 3 SI: 15

Metal: Very Hard (-30) test. Armour: 6 SI: 25
Armoured: Punishing (-50) test, impossible for humans. Armour 25 SI: 50

Blast: Practically impossible test for space marines, impossible for humans. Armour: 50 SI: 150 (these are REALLY strong doors)

Edited by herichimo

@ herichimo - I think that's one way to approach this, but the OP has already mentioned it to be a rather sturdy construct with no apparent operating or operational mechanism. Also, when you are relatively limited by the ammount of ammo and/charges that you are carrying, sometimes it is impractical to waste limited resources on "attacking" something that can just be physically "moved" aside or whatever.

I don't think the original intention is to "fight" everything encountered. There are elements of a mission where stealth is in order so as not to draw attention to the team....."attacking" a door when not necessary is just one way to blow cover and reveal the existence of the team when it may not be the most advantageous (as much as possible). Initiative for the Kill-Team is very likely best when they maintain it and use it when they dictate the time and place for such. One is generally put on the defensive and forced to be reactionary rather than aggressive or assertive when the enemy/opponent has the initiative.

The Team knows the mission, the objectives and they have their orders....it would work closest to plan if they dictate when and how to reveal themselves in revelation is unavoidable. Contact with the enemy is innevitable in the RPG, so being able to dictate ones actions to the fullest extent possible will make the mission and objectives as efficient as one is able to. Otherwise everything becomes a running battle and that opens up the very real possibility of running out of ammo and resources before securing the objective and by extension....successfully accomplishing the mission.

Edited by Korvis

How do you fight a door?

See my previous post (#6) concerning strength tests for forcing open doors of various materials, robustness, and construction; as well as the official rules for attacking an inanimate object.

Thinking of better ways to open doors without crashing, prying, hacking, or shooting their way through is always a smart and interesting thing to do. It is also part and parcel of a roleplaying game.

Space marines are pretty darn strong, the temptation to just bash the thing open instead of trying to use massive space marine sausage fingers to pick a lock is always pretty tough to control.

Edited by herichimo