How about Kickstarting an expansion?

By SuperKalelJorson7, in Android

Lots of bigger gaming companies, like Days of Wonder and Chaosium are Kickstarting their projects. I know they were planning an expansion, since it was mentioned years ago, but this would be a way to gauge interest and minimize or eliminate the financial risk.

FFG likes the property well enough to redesign Netrunner around it and for standalone games like Infiltration and several novels.

A Kickstarter campaign would be a financially safe way to generate some interest.

to much hassle for FFG to make KS campaign. they will never do it

what kind of expansion was mentioned anyway?

A PoD would be great! A new Character with related Cards, some Events. Don't need a big expansion, the game feels like expanded yet:)

A PoD would be great! A new Character with related Cards, some Events. Don't need a big expansion, the game feels like expanded yet:)

I don't know how feasible Print on Demand would actually be, though. PoD cards are of different quality than the ones in larger print runs; as a result, FFG usually ends up reprinting the old cards the new PoD cards would interact with (see Mansions of Madness for examples). Otherwise, in the case of this game, you'd easily be able to figure out which cards were the new ones (this wouldn't made so much for a new character's light or dark deck, but would really effect the event deck).

Still, I'd love to see some sort of expansion (and no, the book-related event cards don't count). I check the site daily in hopes of seeing some Android-related news, and I have been for the past four years.

I agree about POD, the cards would have to all be sleeved because of the differences or reprinted.

Skolo,

It was mentioned in one of the FAQs I think. Someone asked a question about one of the detective's NPCs and the reply suggested the expansion.

It was mentioned in one of the FAQs I think. Someone asked a question about one of the detective's NPCs and the reply suggested the expansion.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the wording surrounding Det. Nisei's Chairman Hiro favors suggests a possible expansion. Though this might have been written with the assumption that the game was going to be a runaway hit.

The possibility of a PoD expansion comes up every once in a while, and it'd work as long as the new cards aren't anything that needs to be shuffled in with the old ones. So, no general events or new twilight cards, but they could make new murders, new detectives with their own complete sets of components...

Honestly though, we're a lot more likely to see a 2nd edition than an expansion. I mean, that's pretty much how FFG rolls even with their successful games, so I can't imagine that after all this time they're going to try to kindle interest in an expansion for a game that (sadly) never had that good a reception in the first place, and which they've been trying to unload clearance-priced copies of for at least a couple years. People aren't going to say "hey, an expansion for that game that I didn't buy five years ago? Count me in!," but a brand new revised edition might be able to ride Netrunner's coat-tails. Probably not as a Kickstarter, but I suppose one never knows.

The possibility of a PoD expansion comes up every once in a while, and it'd work as long as the new cards aren't anything that needs to be shuffled in with the old ones. So, no general events or new twilight cards, but they could make new murders, new detectives with their own complete sets of components...

Honestly though, we're a lot more likely to see a 2nd edition than an expansion. I mean, that's pretty much how FFG rolls even with their successful games, so I can't imagine that after all this time they're going to try to kindle interest in an expansion for a game that (sadly) never had that good a reception in the first place, and which they've been trying to unload clearance-priced copies of for at least a couple years. People aren't going to say "hey, an expansion for that game that I didn't buy five years ago? Count me in!," but a brand new revised edition might be able to ride Netrunner's coat-tails. Probably not as a Kickstarter, but I suppose one never knows.

Yeah, I think you're right. Android is my favorite game and love it without reservation, but I would be excited to see what they could do with a second edition.

I don't think a second edition is likely. The initial response to Android's release was mixed- some loved, some very vocal people hated it. FFG has offered it at a huge discount the last two years during its Thanksgiving sale and still hasn't sold out. Their second editions lately have been Game of Thrones (hugely successful for a long time) and Descent (which was streamlined and sped up because of competition from Ravenloft and such). If any game deserves a new edition its Arkham Horror.

The suggestion of Kickstarter was to eliminate the financial risk to FFG and give fans of the game more to love.