Rules tips for a new player

By SerAndrew, in War of the Ring

I've read the rules numerous times, and I'm still waiting for the game to arrive. While I know we're bound to make mistakes initially, are there are helpful reminders you guys can give me? Basically, any mistakes you made in your first few games that really could have affected the outcome...

SerAndrew said:

I've read the rules numerous times, and I'm still waiting for the game to arrive. While I know we're bound to make mistakes initially, are there are helpful reminders you guys can give me? Basically, any mistakes you made in your first few games that really could have affected the outcome...

play first few games with those simplified rules, so it doesn't get too complicated.

flervk said:

play first few games with those simplified rules, so it doesn't get too complicated.

I never even ready the Quick-start rules myself, just dove in with the standard game. There isn't too much difference between the rules from what I've subsequently browsed at. Full flavor > half-assed simplified stuff.

flervk said:

My advice is to just bite the bullet and play the regular game. The game comes with some tip sheets (simplified rules on one side, regular on the other) that should definitely use.

Download this latest FAQ . The one posted here at FFG is outdated.

Also, there are some great tip sheets at BGG. Those will definitely help.

When we added it to the collection, we just fired up the standard rules. In my first game, there were some fairly glaring mistakes, but the game was still a blast. In the second game, there were a few, but significant mistakes. In my third game, I think we got the rules down pretty well.

The thing about the simplified rules is that they can be just as confusing as the regular ones.