Land Speeder Storm

By Adeptus-B, in Deathwatch House Rules

I recently picked up the Land Speeder Storm plastic model kit to use in my Deathwatch campaign. Upon assembling it, I noticed that it has some additional elements not portrayed in the stats in Rites of Battle . For me, miniatures and fluff usually trump the official RPG rules, so I came up with some additions to the official Storm rules to satisfy my obsessive-compulsiveness…

AUXILIARY WEAPONS-

The Land Speeder Storm comes equipped with supplemental infantry weapons intended to be used by the crew or passengers in the event of a crash landing in hostile territory. On the back of the Pilot and Gunner seats are two Astartes Bolt Pistols, while the back wall of the passenger compartment has a pair of Astartes Shotguns, one on either side. These weapons are loaded with standard ammunition. Being securely fastened in place, it requires a Full Action to access them; they cannot be ‘Quick Drawn’.

RAPPELLING LINES-

To facilitate the rapid deployment of troops, the passenger compartment of the Land Speeder Storm contains four integral rappelling lines, two on either side of the Speeder. These lines consist of 100m cords of nanofibre cable attached to a handle, which can be lowered its full length in a single round, or retracted its full length in two rounds via a powerful motor. Intended to be used exclusively by Space Marines, the lines forgo the niceties of a safety harness in favour of a handle which allows for rapid deployment, albeit at some risk. If used under optimal conditions (the Speeder is hovering in place, over clear terrain, in calm weather), a Routine (+20) Strength Test is required to maintain a one-handed grip on the handle while ascending or descending. If the Speeder is currently moving, if the deployment site is obstructed by trees or other hazards, if the weather is stormy, and/or if the rappeller is under fire, the Test is one step harder per inclemental situation (hence, rappelling while the Speeder is moving and the deployment site is clustered with trees would require a Challenging [+0] Strength Test). Failure indicates a fall from the halfway point of the ascent or decent. The raising and lowering of the rappelling line can be controlled from within the Land Speeder Storm, or with a control stud on each handle. All four lines function independently, and can carry weight equivalent to a Space Marine in Scout armour without danger; if used while in power armour or carrying a heavy weapon, there is a 5% chance that the line will break- 10% if used while wearing power armour and carrying a heavy weapon.