Minions

By Keffisch, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Game Masters,

Show off your player or self-created Chaos Minions!

Here is one of mine, an Ogryn Bodyguard.

Name:
Gronk

Minion Type:
Normal

Statistics:

WS
35 (Frenzy: 45)

BS
25 (Frenzy: 5)

S
40 (6) (Frenzy: 50 +2 SB)

T
40 (6) (Frenzy: 50 +2 TB)

Ag

Int (Frenzy: 1)

Per

WP (Frenzy: 20)

Fel
5 (Frenzy: 1)

Inf
-

Loyalty
X

Movement:
2/4/6/12

Note: despite having an Agi bonus of 1, I decided to give him a more normal movement speed.

Wounds:

Skills:
Dodge, Intimidate, Parry

Talents:
Frenzy, Furious Assault, Iron Jaw, Sound Constitution (2), Weapon Training (Heavy), Weapon Training (Chain)

Traits:
Auto-stabilised, Sturdy, Unnatural Characteristic Toughness (2), Unnatural Characteristic Strength (2), Size (5)

Gear:
Heavy Stubber /w 2 ammo belts
Chainaxe (human)
Guard Flak Armour (AP 4)

Appearance:
Gronk is a hulking, filthy, foul-smelling monstrosity. His pale skin is covered in scabs, warts and scar-tissue. His jutting lower jaw is a bizzare landscape of broken tusks and brown-black stumps of bone. His small beady eyes betray an animalistic cunning and a capacity for violence comparable to his size.

No one eh?

Here's another one:

Name: T'tocli

Minion Type:
Lesser

Statistics:

WS

BS

S

T

Ag

Int

Per

WP

Fel

Inf
-

Loyalty
Master's Fel

Movement:
½/1/2/3

Wounds:

Skills:
Awareness, Dodge, Stealth

Talents:
Berserk Charge, Heightened Senses (Sight), Light Sleeper, Mimic, Takedown

Traits:
Bestial, Size (2), Toxic (1)

Gear:
Daemonic skin (AP 8)

Appearance:
Small daemonic dog creature with reddish scaled skin, small sickle-shaped black claws and slitted yellow eyes.

Note: Prefers to sit on the shoulders or lie nestled bewteen the shoulders and backpack of its master. It has a tendency to unnervingly stare with eyes wide open at whoever is nearest to its master. Whenever combat is about to ensue. Roll an awareness check, if succesful, T'tocli will scamper off and will not return until after combat has ended in the favour of its master. if its master is defeated but is still alive (e.g. captured) it will try to follow its master by stealth.

T'tocli can mimic sentences which it has overheard but it has no real understanding of the words. This talent is very random and will most often come into play if anyone talks to it for greater lengths of time.

If cornered, T'tocli will attempt a Berserk Charge - Takedown (+20 bonus to hit for the talent and and any additional size difference bonuses apply). If it hits, roll 1d10 for damage against any unarmoured location, or simply the head whenever applicable (T'tocli loves to pounce at someones head!).

Note: In our sessions he was mostly used as an early warning system and for comic relief.

Looks pretty cool to me. Frankly I've yet to get to play Black Crusade for real but I imagine that its pretty sweet to make up all of these crazy critters.

Another one,

Ex-Guard Bounty Hunter

Minion Type: Normal

Statistics:

WS

BS
40 (50 when aiming from Accurate)

S

T

Ag

Int

Per

WP

Fel

Inf
-

Loyalty
Master's Fel

Movement:
2/4/6/12

Wounds:

Skills:
Awareness +10, Dodge, Stealth +10, Operate (Surface),

Talents:
Deadeye Shot, Heightened Senses (Sight), Sharpshooter, Weapon Training (Las), Marksman

Traits:
Auto-stabilised, Size (4)

Weapons:
Long-Las Basic 150m S/–/– 1d10+3, E, Pen 1, Clip 40, Rld Full, Accurate (+1d10 dmg per 2nd DoS, max 2d10, extra dice cannot crit), Reliable, Felling 4)
Upgrades: Silencer, Photo Sight

Armour:
Synskin (AP 2, all), +10 to Stealth

Gear:
2x Long-Las clips, Micro-Bead, Comm Leach, Magnoculars, Knife, Field Rations

Haven't you always dreamed of having your own Death Cult at your beck and call?

Look no further,

Name: Chaos Death Cultist

Minion Type: Normal

Statistics:

WS

BS

S

T
25 (3)

Ag
35 (4)

Int

Per

WP

Fel

Inf
-

Loyalty
Master's Fel

Movement:
4/8/12/21

Wounds:

Skills:
Awareness, Stealth +10, Parry, Deceive, Security

Talents:
Ambidextrous, Catfall, Disarm, Leap Up, Sure Strike, Weapon Training (Power), Swift Attack

Traits:
Deadly Natural Weapons, Toxic (2), Unnatural Agility (+1), Unnatural Toughness (+1) Size (4),

Weapons:
Powerblade (1d10+3, E, Pen 5, Power Field)
2x Haywire Grenades (Thrown, SBx3, S/-/-, Pen 0, Haywire (3) )

Armour:
Mesh Combat Cloak (AP 3, Arms, Body, Legs)

Edited by Keffisch

So far only done CSM minions... And we do not follow the minion rules strictly for them... Just as some Minions listed in the Tomes do not follow them - Rubricae for one... And personally never understood the use for a Minion that will get splatted the moment an Elite foe shows up - especially not paying a decent amount of xp for one.

Interesting,

My players will go out of their way to keep their beloved servants out of harm's way.

The main use for them, apart from RP, is to get someone with skills and talents that they do not want to take themselves (due to alignment, etc.)

So far only done CSM minions... And we do not follow the minion rules strictly for them... Just as some Minions listed in the Tomes do not follow them - Rubricae for one... And personally never understood the use for a Minion that will get splatted the moment an Elite foe shows up - especially not paying a decent amount of xp for one.

Firstly, minions are generally replaceable. So they might get splatted but better them than you.

Secondly, minions are often very useful in non-combat situations. One of our group (an alpha legionary) had a couple of minions with high fellowship, charm and assorted willpower-impeding devices (like the pheremone implant). Useful for sorting things out before the heretics ever got there, and especially useful when (as with all marines) the minion can move freely in places where a chaos marine couldn't.

Not a GM, but this is my current Minion:

Vandire , Cyber-Mastiff
Minion of Chaos

Weapon Skill: 35
Ballistic Skill: --
Strength: 35
Toughness: 20
Agility: 35
Intelligence: 5
Perception: 35
Willpower: 10
Fellowship: --

Wounds: 10

Skills:
Awareness +10, Acrobatics +10, Dodge, Stealth.

Talents:
Frenzy, Furious Assault, Leap Up, Weapon Training (Chain), Double Team, Combat Master, Berserk Charge.

Traits:
Quadruped, Machine (4), Unnatural Agility (3), Unnatural Toughness (3), Brutal Charge (4), Size (3; Weedy)

Weapon:
Murderteeth - Melee, 1d10+4 Rending, Pen 4, Tearing, Toxic (0)
(Equal to Chain Axe w/ Mono & Poison Drip)

Armour: Carapace Composits (5 AP Arms, Legs, Body; 4 AP Head)
(Equal to Light Carapace set)

Built-in Auspex and Pict Recorder, and a back Dataslate for readouts if necessary.

This was made a long time ago, but only really became relevant just now again. I don't remember if we made any changes to it, but it might not be 100% by the book.

Nice one.

Apart from its wounds it looks about right.

I've always felt that Minion Wounds should be 3xTB and not 2xTB.

Edited by Keffisch

Nice one.

Apart from its wounds it looks about right.

I've always felt that Minion Wounds should be 3xTB and not 2xTB.

Well he has a TB of 5, so while I may agree that maybe it *should* be 3xTB, the Wounds should be correct. I think.

You're absolutely right. :)

Can't find the stats anymore for these, but at one time had a ork servo skull running around with a chainsword in its mouth. used it to herd all of the lesser servo-skulls.

And that poor tech priest that the group's heritick hacked was just fun

I personally have never had minions, nor had any players want to have minions, mostly because I never play Fel-high characters, and while having a Servitor or Servo-Skull may be appropriate for a Heretek, or a Daemon for a high level Renegade, the Minion rules pretty much mean that unless you want to go all Slaanesh your Minions will almost always be ****. Also, the example in the Core breaks the rules FOR Minions - in the example for how Loyalty is generated as based on Fel, the character in question has 32 Fellowship. Except he's making a Normal Minion of Chaos - he needs a minimum of Fel 45 for that Talent. Whoops....

With the incredibly bad stats the Core book minions has... they will never succeed on a skill test that counts anyway. And the disciple of chaos which hesitates to sacrifice a minion is no real disciple of chaos ;)

And yeh, likewise Alph/Om... In my group we've never utilized minions either. There has not been one occasion so far that our PCs could not handle better than any minion which we may have had had we bothered. Especially not given that getting those useful Minions is very expensive for most characters, experience which is better spent getting the skills to do it yourself.

Granted, been toying with the ideas of some minions, notably the Superior ones and the Tome specific ones - who do not follow the rules for creating minions at all.

I'd say if you aren't using them, you are missing out on so much potential and RP fun.

We've had minions:

Repair a suit of armour

Point out the obvious

Save a crashing shuttle midflight (skill checks succeeded where no one else could)

Alert the master to an impending ambush, as the minion could move around unseen and spotted it in time

Infiltrate another warband

Infiltrate a Chaos cult

Sabotage an Imperial Navy vessel

Become a serial killer

Mutate and die

Become daemon possessed

The list goes on and on.

The RP potential is huge :) .

Here's a bunch that'll probably unfortunately never get used, they have some small backstories to them but I'll not note them down.

They were all intended to be used by an Adeptus Arbites Judge called Tarkin the Fat, as he corrupted more and more of his precinct and pulled specific members of it into his personal retinue when 'adventuring' with the rest of the Warband or whatever you want to call it.

xcniUr3.png

Steve Harkennen, Verispex Agent

Minion of Chaos

Rolled Stats, +5 Int/Per, -5 Str/-5 Will.

Weapon Skill: 25

Ballistic Skill: 22

Strength: 25

Toughness: 20 (TB 5)

Agility: 27

Intelligence: 34

Perception: 36

Willpower: 28

Fellowship: 27

Skills:

Awareness, Medicae +10, Tech-Use, Scholastic Lore (Chymistry, Cryptology), Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites).

Talents:

Cold Hearted, Orthoproxy, Weapon Training (Shock, SP), Combat Formation, Foresight, Paranoia.

Traits:

Fanatic, Sycophant, Regeneration (2), Machine (4), Unnatural Toughness (3).

Weapons:

Ius Automatic - Pistol, Rng 30m, 1d10+3 Impact, Pen 0, S/3/-, Clip 11, Rld Full. Reliable.

Shock Maul - Melee, 1d10 Impact, Pen 0. Shocking.

Armour:

Verispex Armour - Arms & Body 2 AP. Built-in Auspex, chrono, combi-tool & data-slate. +10 Awareness & Medicae to find information in the field.

Verispex Helm - Head 4 AP. Built-in preysense goggles & photo-visor. +10 to tracking and searching.

Light Flak Undercoat - Legs 2 AP.

Additional Equipment:

None. Armours already come with all reasonable extra equipment.

xCYr3Y9.png

Alexandra Sevren, Magistrate

Minion of Chaos

Rolled Stats, +5 Int/+5 Wp, -5 Str/-5 WS.

Weapon Skill: 22

Ballistic Skill: 30

Strength: 20

Toughness: 26

Agility: 20

Intelligence: 39

Perception: 32

Willpower: 29

Fellowship: 24

Wounds: 6

Skills:

Dodge, Deceive, Logic, Scholastic Lore (Judgement) +10, Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy), Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites).

Talents:

Legalese, Combat Formation, Peer (Adeptus Arbites, Administratum, Schola Progenium), Sound Constitution (2).

Traits:

Fanatic, Sycophant, Unnatural Perception (3), Sonar Sense, Unnatural Senses (5).

Weapons:

Ius Automatic - Pistol, Rng 30m, 1d10+3 Impact, Pen 0, S/3/-, Clip 11, Rld Full. Reliable.

Shock Maul - Melee, 1d10 Impact, Pen 0. Shocking.

Armour:

Enforcer Light Carapace, 5 AP (All).

Additional Equipment:

Glow-globe.

g8MxzDj.png

Titus Sorenson, Enforcer

Minion of Chaos

Rolled Stats, +5 BS/+5 Agi, -5 Int/-5 Fel.

Weapon Skill: 29

Ballistic Skill: 24

Strength: 20

Toughness: 26 (TB 5)

Agility: 32

Intelligence: 21

Perception: 31

Willpower: 24

Fellowship: 16

Skills:

Athletics, Dodge +10, Inquiry, Interrogation, Intimidate, Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites).

Talents:

Ambidextrous, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Combat Formation, Weapon Training (SP, Shock), Frenzy.

Traits:

Fanatic, Sycophant, Natural Armour (6), Brutal Charge (4), Unnatural Toughness 3.

Weapons:

Persecutor Shotgun - Basic, Rng 35m, 1d10+4 Impact, Pen 0, S/3/-, Clip 20, Rld Full. Reliable, Scatter.

Shock-maul mounted beneath muzzle that can function as a Shock Staff.

(Shock Staff - Melee, 1d5+3 Impact, Pen 0. Shocking.)

Tarsus Suppression Shield - Melee, 1d10 Energy/Impact. Defensive, Recharge, Shocking.

Adds 4AP to Left Arm and Torso. Lose Shock and gains Primitive (4) instead while Recharging.

Armour:

Enforcer Light Carapace, 5 AP (All).

Additional Equipment:

Laud-Hailer.

And obviously, these would be in addition to Vandire, the previously posted Cyber-Mastiff. :)

Nice! Where are those pics from?

Nice! Where are those pics from?

The first two characters are ripped straight out of Dark Heresy's Book of Judgement (Verispex Adept and Magistrate, respectively), with backgrounds slapped on from images I've saved across the internet. The last one is artwork I just found online when searching for Adeptus Arbites material, I can't really cite a source.

The borders I slapped on myself, based on the borders used for images in the Rogue Trader books. I've got a .psd for doing that on 400x400 images, just for style.

I usually make a case for houseruling minions to be more effective in certain ways, but I won't cover my methods here.

My favorite minions were a bunch stunted, warp-tainted psyker-things that my Psyker had arranged to have bred at Q'Sal. Crippled stats mostly, but great intelligence and willpower. I kind of went over them in this thread , because they were useful for performing or assisting with rituals. They also had infused knowledge, for all of the lore, as well as some useful psyker skills for slapping PR 4 warptime or other 'support' psyker abilities on characters, and I made sure that there were a couple who could assist with the rolls for warp-navigation.

This also set the stage for a later betrayal on my part, which eliminated a rival in the group. Great fun, laughs were had all around.

but I won't cover my methods here

why mention it then? :)

Nice idea with the Psyker minions/skills, it also makes for a great narrative prop when explaining new PCs about "the dangers of the warp".

Because it was relevant to the topic of "minions are underpowered" that had been discussed, but the details on how I argue for such house rules to be made belong in the house rules subforum, not the GMs subforum. Call it a message of support and couched encouragement for the "minions are awfully weak" camp.

If the PCs don't get the dangers of the warp quick-like, I find a few devolved allies gets the point across darn quick.