ES Unseen Forces: Jim Culver ability question

By Groddzilla, in Elder Sign

I just played a game of ES and used Jim Culver. His ability Strange Luck allows him once per turn to focus or assist even after a roll in which the task was successfully completed.

My question is, should it read "Once per day" because he can use it to assist, which would happen on other peoples turns. Or should the assist part be dropped and Strange Luck only works on Jim Culver's turn?

Hi Grod

Having had a quick read in the Elder Sign pdf rules, I think the wordings right.

FFG have given an example of JC's ability online …

… but say it's another investegators turn and they get a successful task role with JC on their adventure card, they can use his ability as an assist, only "once per turn" as stated on his card. Now, say the investigator fails the adventure card, all dice are passed to the next investigator, who can also use JC's ability, "once per turn" … and so on. So it gets used again and again during the day.

• Requesting Assistance - quick rule ref: Page 11 & 12 (core Elder Sign rules)

Finally, JC would use both focus or assist during his own turn, but only one or the other at the time of the die roll if another investigator was on his adventure card!

• Focusing - Quick Rule Ref: Page 10 & 11 (core Elder Sign rules)

This ability is def one of the best in the game! Hope that helps?

Walts

I know this is an old question, but I'm playing him myself right now and I think it's worth noting: "Once per turn" seems to be correct here. Due to the way movement works in the game, Jim could only stay on an adventure card if he fails his own adventure there. But his ability could be used on that card if another investigator tries it before his next turn. Once that adventure is completed, Jim goes back to the entrance, and then is not on another adventure until his own turn. So no matter what happens, Jim can only help to complete or complete one adventure per cycle of player turns. I think that this limitation still makes him very valuable, but not so valuable that the ability should read "once per day" or "once per roll" (which would mean only on his own turn).