Combat Variants

By Thalin, in DungeonQuest

Does anyone else forego the confusing combat card system and use only the dice combat systems like me? I like the dice variant that pairs the ability to the specific monster since your chances for sucess are based on abilities somewhat, but it can be a bit tough depending on the character you choose. For example, the dwarf or the knight has no chance against the Sorcerer. With this variant, Lindel is the most balanced character. The other dice variant equalizes the characters regardless of abilities, but it is a lot less fun.

Yeah i'm using the Dice variant too even though it's pretty much diluted and not that fun...but still better than the official combat rules imo. Coupled with that I use the official variant that give a reward when you kill a monster, make combat a bit more compelling.

I am still searching for a great combat variant (official or not) to make combat somewhat thrilling and fun...but I do understand that combat in DQ is not a major feature.

Hi there, I stumbled upon your thread here, and I think I have something for you. Im a avid game designer, and I had Dungeonquest in the 80's. I didn't know until a few months ago, FFG re-released it, and they did a AWESOME job. One thing in particular I love is the card combat system. I like it so much, I designed and developed a system for us solo players. Its called Dungeonquest Solo Combat Arena The monsters have a sort of A.I. or tactics that will give you a challenge in a fight. I created 4 very high quality maps you will be able to download and play this on. Im going to try and post them on FFG's site if Im allowed. I LOVE Dungeonquest, so I designed these battle maps so they look and feel like a extension of the game. I think people are going to think differently about the card system, and when you see your hero battling it out with these monsters on these maps. The gameplay is pretty strategic, but VERY easy to understand. Im really excited to show this to fellow DQ fans who would like a more involved combat experience. I bought some D&D minis to use with mine, but you could easily use the monster token for the monster, and you use your hero figure on the battle maps. But, it is really nice "eye candy" to see painted minis battling it out. I'll put a link up here for the video Im going to film explaining how to play this. I will have the 4 maps ready tomorrow for you to download and try out. Oh, you will need a D4 dice to play this. I'll try to get some pix up. Talk to you soon...Rodger :)

I played it the other day and I enjoyed the card system, took awhile to get it nailed down but after that it was fastpaced and utterly ruthless. None of us survived any of the game sessions, mostly due to traps and whatnots but we also did get a nasty thrashing now and then. I still wonder how that fiery flame demon managed to sneak up on me in the Catacombs.

Haven't tried any combat variants yet but as it is now I don't see a reason why I should. Will probably try it out eventually though, this is the "toughest" game i've played in quite awhile.

I might get the official combat a second chance...maybe with more plays i'll start to enjoy it...I hope so.

Hey all, I got some videos showing the Solo Combat Arena. Some changes may be coming to the dice rules, as this is version 1.0 of the rules. I hope you enjoy :)

Hey all, I filmed another battle report video to explain better on how to play Dungeonquest with the Solo Combat Arena. This game went PERFECT on how the system works. The only thing that didn't come up was how to use the power cards. Basically its this...if there is any un-used movment left on the die (example: You roll a 3, the monster is only 2 spaces away, you have 1 movement left) you can pull a power card for this attack. Anyway, enjoy the battle! Krutzbeck vs. A Troll....who will win? :)

Thanks for all the input. I am inspired to check out the card combat again

I must admit that I used to play with the dice combat variant until yesterday, when I got the game out again and thought I'd try the rules as per the instruction book. It was actually really good!