Mighty Shot

By Kuririn67, in Only War Rules Questions

Hello board,

the tier 3 talent Mighty Shot states:
The character adds half his Ballistic Skill Bonus to Damage inflicted with a ranged weapon.

Now I asked myself – rounded up or down? If I had a BS of 53 for example, would I have a damage Bonus of 2 or 3?

Thank you!

Good question, I want to say round up.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Darck Child said:

Good question, I want to say round up.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Absent any specific ruling, round normally (5/2= 2.5 which rounds up to 3).

Chapter 1 Core Rulebook says that any fraction should be rounded up.

But I think thats a little unfair to the guys with the higher scores, its a little cheap to have a score of 41 and get a +3 bonus just because its a little more than 40. Personally I would say that rounding to the nearest 10's place would be a good way to be fair about it: a guy with 54 or less rounds down, while a guy 55+ rounds up.

@ Blck Magos Since only the BS Bonus is relevant to Mighty Shot, one would round up from a value of 50 or higher, because up to that point you'd still have a bonus of "only" 4.

Concerning that rule - where is it, could you give me a page please. It came to my mind, since I read it in different Warhammer 40k systems but I did not find it here.

@ everyone else Thank you. I felt the same.

Kuririn67 said:

@ Blck Magos

WHAT! HERESY! BLAM!!!!
Am not affiliated with those backwater, delusional, half-witted, theologically-incorrect hicks! They are one of my favorite targets (along with the High Lords of Terra) and one of the many things dragging our glorious Imperium down, a second mistake shall be MET WITH EXTERMINATUS!!! destellos campana
…But to answer your question burla its page 28 right below the ‘Example’ for rolling 1d5.
It states:
“Whenever fractions are generated, such as when dividing
a result in half on a roll, the results should be rounded up.”
Which implies that you round up on more than simply dice rolls, and I would assume its ‘suppose’ to applies to any such questions on fractions unless specifically noted otherwise.

Crushing Blow (the only talent that specifies, and the melee counterpart to Mighty Shot) says round down.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the way NPC damage has been calculated, they round down.

bogi_khaosa said:

Crushing Blow (the only talent that specifies, and the melee counterpart to Mighty Shot) says round down.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the way NPC damage has been calculated, they round down.

While I do agree with that it may have been specifically given that to differentiate it from Mighty Shot (as said above, “unless noted otherwise“).

The difference between the two could be for many reasons.

Melee weapons already add the characters Strength Bonus to damage and there is the fact that, Core Rulebook only, there are about 31 Melee only talents compared to Ranges 15 (and the 7 that are for either or both). Most of the ‘nice things’ that are applied for melee weapons can be seen as superior to the ones that Range weapons can get (craftsmanship is major difference)…

I’m not saying Ranged is weak or anything, the best way to survive 7 out of 10 times is to use Ranged weapons; I’m just saying that the Crushing Blow (and any other talents that like them) may have been specifically made to round down to make it more fair since melee weapons have more options overall.

Just an offical word on whether it lack of text is a misprint or intentional or not would be nice.

Chapter 1 Core Rulebook says that any fraction should be rounded up.

But I think thats a little unfair to the guys with the higher scores, its a little cheap to have a score of 41 and get a +3 bonus just because its a little more than 40. Personally I would say that rounding to the nearest 10's place would be a good way to be fair about it: a guy with 54 or less rounds down, while a guy 55+ rounds up.

This can't happen, as it is only the characteristics BONUS that us halved, not the whole characteristics. So the guardsman with 41 BS has BSB 2, which is halved to 1. having 54 or 59 does not matter when calculating characteristic bonus - just like it doesn't matter when using melee weapons and adding strength bonus.