Highlander decks-what did you play and what won?

By player1053558, in Hollow Bastion

At our tourny in Victoria, there were 2 WR, one light player newfews deck (came second) and my Ansem Dark deck that came first. I saw the comments on the dark decks maybe not working. Well let me tell you it worked very well, with a deck of only 40 it may not of had a play the first couple rounds once it started it was easy to lock the other player down. As far as i figured the newfews deck and the dark deck really were the way to go due to the usual multi-card needed WR decks (herc/beast/jack). with only 19 cards in total that could mess up a dark deck besides spells it was easier to maintain it. With only 3 jacks, so they'd have to keep it on teh field, even easier if they played one to play out my cards.

What did you see/play and what decks were really successful?

This tourny was really fun and I would like to play it again.

this really isnt a good idea for a topic seeing as most of the tournys havent even been done yet and someone can come along and ****** a winning decklist/idea and use that build may i suggest waiting till april for this discussion? and i figured riku would be better then an ansem but good for you.

what is a light news fews deck????

I can answer this but I refuse seeing that their are still plenty of HL tourneys in the works. Maybe after the cut-off date.

I used Amsem due to the fact i was not going to use any spells or weapons. And with sea neon out, having weapons in the deck made it a moot point. As for spells, lots of people are using Phil's +6 ona regualr basis, as well as the occasional wizard. Though I will give out the hint that for dark decks in this tourney there are only like:

6x lvl1

many lvl 2

ONLY!!! 4x lvl 3 .. or was is 5?

lots lvl 4-8

so getting lvl 1 through 3 was a bit of a hassle. BUT if it worked you had a lock down in no time flat.

"Newfews Deck" is when you use Huey. Duey, and Louie to lock down a 3 card hand draw.. then use the 5 point aeroga? to get 6 more cards FAST! as well as using donald's staff thing to get the spell back at the end of the turn for another go next turn... ZOOM fast decking!!!!

and why not talk a bit more about it. let's give the newer and/or weaker/younger players a chance in this one card only tourney. it's a GREAT chance to see other people win, than the normal 1-3 people each store normally sees. As far as I'm concerned if anyone that is new or doesn't have many cards wants to ask for my opinion or help to win this one... more power to ya. Much like playing a peasant deck, it gives a lot of people fair footing.

I saw this coming and played a kairi to be on the safe side.

While I agree that I won't post my Highlander deck up due to others potentially buildin a similar, if not carbon copy, deck structure, I can state that this is the first time that I've had to put cards into my deck to reach the 41 card limit. 'N to follow through with it, it's design was nearly flawless in the tournament. In the 'win some, lose some' ratio, I placed first place, but my deck had a few moments of weakness. Right after the tournament, though, I took the deck design 'n tweak'd it, remasterin it to what it currently is. Now it's a 42 (w/player) card deck that is a whole lotta fun.

Zarathura said:

I used Amsem due to the fact i was not going to use any spells or weapons. And with sea neon out, having weapons in the deck made it a moot point. As for spells, lots of people are using Phil's +6 ona regualr basis, as well as the occasional wizard. Though I will give out the hint that for dark decks in this tourney there are only like:

6x lvl1

many lvl 2

ONLY!!! 4x lvl 3 .. or was is 5?

lots lvl 4-8

so getting lvl 1 through 3 was a bit of a hassle. BUT if it worked you had a lock down in no time flat.

"Newfews Deck" is when you use Huey. Duey, and Louie to lock down a 3 card hand draw.. then use the 5 point aeroga? to get 6 more cards FAST! as well as using donald's staff thing to get the spell back at the end of the turn for another go next turn... ZOOM fast decking!!!!

and why not talk a bit more about it. let's give the newer and/or weaker/younger players a chance in this one card only tourney. it's a GREAT chance to see other people win, than the normal 1-3 people each store normally sees. As far as I'm concerned if anyone that is new or doesn't have many cards wants to ask for my opinion or help to win this one... more power to ya. Much like playing a peasant deck, it gives a lot of people fair footing.

i dont see how you won if you didnt have any spells in ansem you must have had some really bad opponents because i dont see how a dark deck with only 1 of each possible dark card can get passed a light WR sorry. and you said it yourself, if you give people winning decklists it wont be the same person but the same deck and there fore there is no difference so its best not to discuss Decklists until after the tournys.

I agree, it's better to wait....

what spells would you really need? honestly, if you lock out weapons, magic, beast, herc, and pan/tink, the other player is at your mercy... because EVERY card you draw you can play into your field or theirs. Especially with a one card limit world racer, it is REALLY easy to lock them out and play good dark on them. you just have to use your head and know what to do. As a HUGE hint, my Mega Villains dark deck runs 2 each of the top 3 villains, and a few other suprises and there really is nothing a light player can do except run and take the damage, or just get pummeled to death. And giving the other player the chance to use weapons, even if you yourself are playing them just adds the the chance of you getting hit back.

Zarathura said:

what spells would you really need? honestly, if you lock out weapons, magic, beast, herc, and pan/tink, the other player is at your mercy... because EVERY card you draw you can play into your field or theirs. Especially with a one card limit world racer, it is REALLY easy to lock them out and play good dark on them. you just have to use your head and know what to do. As a HUGE hint, my Mega Villains dark deck runs 2 each of the top 3 villains, and a few other suprises and there really is nothing a light player can do except run and take the damage, or just get pummeled to death. And giving the other player the chance to use weapons, even if you yourself are playing them just adds the the chance of you getting hit back.

thats great but this is highlander so your mega villains deck is pointless cause you only get 1 of each and a dark deck cant WR in this type of tourny on friend support alone its just too hard to chain it all together and use their support to beat any dark cards on your world and thats fine make it so i cant use the 2 attack cards that are worth packing in a deck. most WR decks make it on friend support alone and like i said you must have had some pretty bad opponents because i just dont see how ansem could do it riku maybe but ansem no way at least no way in the way you say you did it. and if ansem wasnt a dark wr and you just went to lock them down i dont see how you can do it within 5 turns and then drop their hp to 0 with only 1hp damage every turn what kind of useless cards are people packing these days that they can be taken out so slowly without drawing anything helpfull.

um Darkwing, instead of telling me how dark is no good, why not tell me how WR is so good. I know how my Dark deck works and how it did work, you want me to post a list then great i will, am I also to post the 2nd place deck list as it was my son.

Dark is especially powerful this round BECAUSE light can only have one of each card, making it easier to keep my cards in play.

The dark deck has the basic's for the highlander tourney to make ANY deck work. Ansem works because it has 1 extra attack, what unless EVERY player is going to wuss out and play the new sora card... even still the ansem deck can over power them. Again i will say, it's better to be able to play EVERY card you draw them have to hold or discard cards for next turn.

i never said dark decks are no good just dark ansem without magic cards because with just friends its kind of hard to get the higher lvl friends out when there with only 6 lvl 1's in a 40 card deck to work with. And with beasts and hercs being able to mess up your friend area (with simba's of course) and to take about 7 or 8 of YOUR turns to get his hp to 0 withput your opponent using any heal cards seem less likely and the racing option of ansem is also tough especially with dark cards on your world like behemoth or stealth sneak. like i said i just cant see an ansem deck with just dark cards winning sorry.

well simba would hurt it alot until the magic blocker comes out for the dark deck but i think in a one of each card tourny and the opponet is world racing they might save the beast to drop a heartless off their world because the dark deck has more friends to play down and with the help of jacks working in your favor it could easily be possible to play up to your high level heartless/villains. Frankly zathura i say great job on winning it with dark i think we are all a bit sad to see how unstable dark decks are since there release and this makes people see they have competetive ability. Id like to see the deck list but after highlander I dont wanna rip your idea off. as long as you are able to avoid simba or make a come back from a big one like simba lvl4 I think this deck has a great chance. I may have put some magic in just to be on the safe side but thats me.