Louisville, KY 6-/1/13 Regional Results

By Amuk, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

The second Louisville Regional had 15 players, including players from TN, OH, and IN.

Houses:
Greyjoy: 3
Martell: 1
Targaryen: 5
Stark: 1
Lannister: 3
Baratheon: 2

Agendae:
The Long Voyage: 4
Knights of the Hollow Hill: 4
The Maester's Path: 1
Kings of Summer: 1
Black Sails: 1
The Power Behind the Throne: 1
No Agenda: 3 (2 charagendas)

Restricted Cards:
Fury of the Kraken: 2
Fury of the Wolf: 1
Fear of Winter: 1
Long Lances: 2
TMP: 1
Hatchling's Feast: 1
Val: 1
Search and Detain: 2
Kings of Summer: 1
Castellan of the Rock: 1
Burning on the Sands: 1
No Restricted Card: 1

We played 4 rounds of Swiss and cut to Top 4. Top 4 after the cut were:

1. Wade Freeman -- GJ TLV (Fury of the Kraken)
2: Michael Pandorf -- Martell KotHH (Burning on the Sands)
3: Jonathan Benton -- GJ TLV (Fury of the Kraken)
4) Mike Skau -- GJ TLV (Fear of Winter)

Finals:

Wade Freeman -- GJ TLV (Fury of the Kraken) v. Jonathan Benton -- GJ TLV (Fury of the Kraken)

Winner: Jonathan Benton -- GJ TLV (Fury of the Kraken)

Full Field Results:

1. Jonathan Benton -- Greyjoy The Long Voyage (Fury of the Kraken)
2. Wade Freeman -- Greyjoy The Long Voyage (Fury of the Kraken)
3. Michael Pandorf -- Martell Knights of the Hollow Hill (Burning on the Sands)
4. Mike Skau -- Greyjoy The Long Voyage (Fear of Winter)
5. Leon Harris -- Targaryen Knights of the Hollow Hill (Long Lances)
6. Nathan Bradley -- Targaryen Knights of the Hollow Hill (Hatchling's Feast)
7. Dodd Harris -- Targaryen The Maester's Path (TMP)
8. Chris Perry -- Stark No Agenda [The Kindly Man] (Fury of the Wolf)
9. Tim Parsons -- Baratheon The Long Voyage (S&D)
10. Richard Chang -- Lannister No Agenda [Kevan Lannister] (S&D)
11. Richard Giles -- Targaryen Knights of the Hollow Hill (Long Lances)
12. Eric Lowell -- Targaryen Kings of Summer (Kos)
13. Tyler Hockman -- Baratheon Black Sails (Val)
14. Scott Childress -- Lannister The Power Behind the Throne (Castellan of the Rock)
15. Michael Mattingly -- Lannister No Agenda [n/a] (None)

Great to see everyone again, way to go Jonathan! Three GJ TLV in the top 4 and each running a different set of cards, I hear TLV won in CT this weekend too. I hate to say it, but its really as good as they say it is…

[rant]Agenda is already a (neutral) plural in Latin (meaning "things to be done"). In English, it is used as a singular, with the regular plural "agendas".[/rant]

Surprising that there was only 1 Martell player. Is this a product of the popularity of GJ in the meta?

Based on my playtesting, and what I've heard reports of at recent east coast tournaments, Martell TLV is a pretty strong build. They have gone against a variety of decks, including GJ choke builds, and seem to be pushing through. I suppose that in a choke-heavy environment they could hit a few obstacles though.

Gratz on the win Mr. B

Twn2dn said:

Surprising that there was only 1 Martell player. Is this a product of the popularity of GJ in the meta?

Jonathan and Wade are from TN and I'm not sure whats popular in their meta to be honest. Mike Pandorf is from Indy and I'm from Cincinnati; I took the GJ deck b/c I was tired of the Lanni deck I played at the past several regionals and b/c it was the only other thing I had built at the time. GJ is one of my 3 primary Houses but in our meta neither GJ nor Martell are all that popular (in fact, we kind of like to hate on Martell). Dodd and Leon are the two highest placed players from Louisville - I only met Leon during this regional season, he had a Bara deck last time and I don't think I've ever seen Dodd play Martell. So basically its just coincidence? Apparently Stark isn't very popular right now in our area, only one Stark at this event and only one Stark at Centerville a few weeks back.

I was planning to play Martell TLV at the event, actually, until Darknoj shared his version of the Balerion Maesters dek with me. Since it was due to be published on cardgamedb right after our event, I figured I'd better run it instead and save my Martell deck for later. I changed a couple of cards from his build and made Top 8, losing only to the #1 and #2 guys out of Swiss, so it worked out pretty well.