It's Coming…..

By Dobbler, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

In a time not so long ago, and a place not so far….
Before CCG was replaced with LCG….
There was a legend in the Thrones community. He was a man who could throw down drinks with the best of them, whose generosity and contribution to the Thrones community was rivaled by few others. He opened the doors of his home (and pocketbook) and welcomed players from all across the world to match decks, wits and alcoholic fortitude inside the walls of his abode.
His name was ProfessorAJ, and for three consecutive years, he hosted Chicon, an event that has never been duplicated. He passed out Booster packs like candy, catered in food and drink to feed the players, and with the help of Ktom and the Sheik, he ran one of the most fantastic Game of Thrones weekends ever seen. There has never been another event that fostered such fantastic community between the Thrones players.
And there has never been another player who opened up the doors of his own home to entertain a tournament of 50+ players….
Until now….
Valar Morghulis - All Men Must Die
Valar Dohearis - All Men Must Serve
Valar Dobblerus - All Men must play Thrones in my home
March 7-9, 2014….Nixa, Missouri….Dobbler's home….
ValarCon is coming….

It is only natural that legends begets other legends.
(you almost make me wish that I was American, living in that general area.)
*thumbs up*
I will cheer you on good ser.

WHAT!!!! I will be there sir sounds awsome…….

YOu coming to The King In The North Tourney???

STOP IT, TIMMY!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtX-G1SuPghKVR5P_t0j7

I apologize for having to change direction....

But due to a leak in my basement (and the necessary repairs ensuing), as well as a variety of additional issues that have arisen, I will be canceling ValarCon. I appreciate the interest I received in the event, but it unfortunately won't be happening.

~NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I come back to thrones, hear about this amazing ChiCon clone, and then have it ripped away! I don't even know what I'm living for now.

Lol all the drama that these two competing events caused and now one is canceled and n’er a word about the other in months. Oh well, see you’all at worlds (hopefully)!

Ps: nyc is hosting an event in october, everyone should come to that instead.

What was the other event?

Luigi's Tournament of Champions and his invite only controversy.

I've been calling for invite only tourney for years! You could do cool stuff like "Best Martell Player NA" and only invite top notch Martell players.

Magic has invite only tourneys... but you need a few Qualifier tourneys to generate the list of invites. Inviting just the people you happen to think are the best... deserves the response:

"Screw you guys, I'm going home. - Eric Cartman"

Man, hope the basement is OK.

Let the community vote on the who they think the best players are. Problem solved!

If I weren't going to be gone for 2 weeks, I'd bring this up with the NYC meta and see if we could potentially fill the void.

Ps: nyc is hosting an event in october, everyone should come to that instead.

Here here. A more official post is forthcoming, but mark off 10/12 in your calendars and get ready to book a trip to NYC!

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear about this. We just had a small pipe break in our ceiling... A few thousand dollars in damage, which hurts when you aren't expecting it, but I can only imagine a flooded basement. I was looking forward to the event sand had already cleared it with my wife. Sorry buddy.

To follow up on Dennis and Vaapad's post, we are holding an event. Won't be a replacement to the fantastic gathering Greg had planned, but will feature some of the best competitors in the country. Many of the past world's and nationals champions are from the east coast, and attend NYC events regularly. I hope others will consider attending, but even if it ends up being more of a regional event, will be a lot of fun and unequaled prep for world's the month after.

Let the community vote on the who they think the best players are. Problem solved!

Staton: I think the controversy (I wasn't around for it) came from the fact that since Luigi was hosting the tournament, the understanding was that he was the only person with a say in who was invited to play. My understanding is that the drama referred to had less to do with the concept of an invitational tournament and more to do with one guy in the community doing all the inviting. It would have probably been a lot less dramatic if FFG had announced an invitational - and a method by which invitations would be extended.

Perhaps staton was thinking of how many baratheon players have the self invite only tourneys. I mean one of the hardest things in a rush deck is blowing your load too early and getting valared, so you have to play with yourself quite a lot to get the timing right.

:-P

Staton - I'm not sure if popularity with the players necessarily correlates with skill at thrones. That being said, it seems inequitable to have only one person decide, too.

Though, it would be interesting to have an invite only tourney after say, top 32 in an OCTGN qualifier or something. I hear someone runs OCTGN tournaments....

Bump! Less than 6 months away!

yay! 6 months away from a canceled event! wooooooo!

yay! 6 months away from a canceled event! wooooooo!

You expect me to read , Dennis? You should know better by now. Sorry to hear that this won't be happening. Guess that means someone else is gonna have to do something sweet...hmm.

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!!! Mwahahahahaha!

/catstrokes

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!!! Mwahahahahaha!

/catstrokes

~Gotta get my mind out of the gutter on this one...