New to the game, over whelmed

By Decker1613, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

So, I finally got around to learning this great game and like all the other LCG I have played so far this one does not disapoint. I have one small problem, and that is, where do I start? I mean I have the core set and that is it, how should I go about building decks, or should I do that? I am so far behind the curve on this one I and my friends are afraid to really sink money into it because of this fact. I don't see myself actually compeating in this, but I would love to figure out how to start building decks for fun and for making a great story. So if you have any input please send it my way. Thank you for your time and always keep smiling.

Welcome!
With just 1 Core, your best bet is to just keep the pre-built decks and start learning the intricacies of the game. A 2nd Core is the next stop for most people looking to get into it, it will allow you to build more reliable and consistant decks, then move on to box expansions for the Houses you prefer and intend to play the most. There are several good articles on CardGameDB for new players, even one for how to build balanced decks with just 2 copies of the Core.
It does all look intimidating at first and there is a giant card pool, but it is by no means impossible to get into; I'm from Cincinnati and some guys in Columbus just started playing recently… they've showed up at two Regionals I've been at so far, one of them placed first in a Regional and one placed second in the other. Also, theres a great community of players happy to help new people learn and happy to answer questions for you so don't be afraid to ask. Many of the questions have been answered already over on AGoTCards and there are plenty of discussions about individual cards, from the most basic (does this card suck?) to complex timing/rules issues.

1 Core set. 1 deluxe expansion for favorite house. Find a theme that you would really enjoy playing- Brotherhood,Maesters,smugglers,knights,wildlings, nights watch, shadows, asshai etc. Or maybe some of your favorite characters if you like the story. Browse CardGameDB.com to view the card supply. Buy some chapter packs with cards that seem awesome to you. Go from there depending on your passion of the game and your budget. Don't be too overwhelmed by card pool. Remember: No matter how many cards you own, a deck can still only have 60 cards in it! Cheers! Oh, and don't net deck. Takes fun and creativity out of the game. Play what's fun for you, then win or lose you'll have great time playing.

I think you should definitely net deck a tournament winning deck and start from there. Netdecking increases your chance to win as a new player, and winning is fun.