FFG Regionals in Dayton, Ohio. May 18/19

By bitraven, in CoC Organized Play

With the Yog box being legal it'll be interesting to see what deck types make an apperance/splash?! It's gonna be loads of fun! I can't wait! I'm still testing and have no idea yet what deck I will eventually field!? avergonzado_triste

Sounds fun, but a little too far for me. Hopefully we can see a tourney report!

Will do. Our local group is really scrambling to test these new cards. It's been a very fun and challenging exercise!

How'd the event go, decent turnout?

You always hope for more but I'd say 10 is decent. The field inluded the current World Champ and a former World Champ! I'll try to post a brief report later today after work.

10 is a pretty solid number for a Cthulhu tournament - glad to hear it went well.

I apologize for the delay!

So the weekend of the 18th our local game store 'Epic Loot Games and Comics' hosted Regionals for every possible FFG game!

Cthulhu was a Sunday 9:30am start. 10 players showed up and we played 3 rounds of swiss before cutting to a final 4. I don't have specific stats like deck lists or W L totals so I'll just give a basic overview.

7th ST/Cthu Bounce Kill

9th Yog Discard

3rd Yog/Shub

4th Yog/Shub

10th Yog/Shub Tesla

6th Yog/Shub

1st Hastur/M.U. Rush Steal

8th Hastur/M.U. Rush Steal

5th 2012 Champ deck

2nd Cthu/Shub Cthylla

All the decks with Shub ran The Festival except one. Two wins were recorded by discard.

One of the highlights was when Jim Black (Cthu/Shub Cthylla) and Tom Capor (Yog/Shub similar to 2012 deck with The Festival added) faced off. Tight game but Jim pulled out the win and finished 2nd.

Congratulations Travis, a local player won going 4-0!

Epic Loot was an excellent host and everyone had a great time win or loose! We all look forward to doing it again next year. The stores facebook page has a great number of photos from all the events. Some of our Magic players are crossing over to the LCGs and commented that FFG should consider changing their competitive format to draw more Magic oriented players. Changes like, best of 3 matches and a sideboard. What does the community think of those suggestions?

Congrats on what sounds like a great event with a good turn out - ten players is quite respectable for Call of Cthulhu. It's always fun to read about other CoC tournaments, the format used, what factions were most prevalent, etc… so I appreciate your report.

With regards to your question about changing the tournament format to "best of 3", that was the old tournament structure for CoC. It was changed for last year's Regional Championship season.

Thanks for the wrap up, sounds like a fun event!

By my count, this is the third regional this year Miskatonic/Hastur won. We have some discussion going on over at cardgamedb.com about it, since the fourms here are so terribly slow.