Lets start our own FAQ. Ask your questions here!

By Malachai, in Only War

Why aren't there multiple boards for OW like every other game?

Why isn't there a sticky for FAQS?

Why is there a note for the virus grenade from RT in the grenades section of the OW core rulebook?

Why does the grenade launcher entry mention it's usage in indirect firing, but then not give it indirect fire?

The photon flash grenade/round has a blast of 10/12, but is described as affecting everyone within 15 meters. Which is it?

When making a logistics test to acquire ammo for a non-standard kit weapon, is there an official amount listed for how much you get per check?

How much ammo can a tank carry?

Actually, why don't we just start asking our questions here so FFG can easily compile all of our questions.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way an official source. Whenever a question comes up, I'll do my best to answer it using official sources from OW. If an answer can't be found there I'll look in the other 40k rpg systems to offer suggestions. I'll always explain my reasoning.

Thanks.

If two characters in a squad have Radiant presence, do the effects stack?

If multiple characters in a squad use command to Inspire, do the effects stack?

I can give a stop-gap answer to the tank ammo question. According to Imperial Armour Volume 1, a standard Phaeton-Patten Leman Russ has space for 40 Battle-Cannon rounds. A Demolisher has less space - 25 rounds. Heavy Bolter ammunition is listed at 600 rounds, I would assume that means per weapon. Lascannon ammunition is listed as unlimited - plainly absurd since even if it ran off the vehicle's power plant it couldn't be unlimited.

If you requisition something, how long can you keep it before you have to give it back? If your Psyker is Primaris-calibur, and you acquire a Force Sword for him/her, when must they lose it back to the general pool?

Must all of your players be Cadian/Catachan/what have you? How do you convince all your players who know what we're talking about to pick one regiment origin, when it is very easy to imagine that, in the meat grinder, Cadians, Elysians, and Death Korps COULD be lumped together, after casualities, if a specific mission could benefit from a blend of their varied skills?

What is the real use for Sergeants? Much of their buffing abilities focus on Comrades, rather than other PCs, as I see it, beyond Inspiring.

Malachai said:

Why aren't there multiple boards for OW like every other game?

There is Only War.

Friend of the Dork said:

There is Only War.

@ Tullio: Thanks, good find! I'll use that.

venkelos said:

If you requisition something, how long can you keep it before you have to give it back? If your Psyker is Primaris-calibur, and you acquire a Force Sword for him/her, when must they lose it back to the general pool?

Must all of your players be Cadian/Catachan/what have you? How do you convince all your players who know what we're talking about to pick one regiment origin, when it is very easy to imagine that, in the meat grinder, Cadians, Elysians, and Death Korps COULD be lumped together, after casualities, if a specific mission could benefit from a blend of their varied skills?

What is the real use for Sergeants? Much of their buffing abilities focus on Comrades, rather than other PCs, as I see it, beyond Inspiring.

Are Guardsmen magically immune to the horrors of war, or should there be some insanity point gains listed in the Fear table?

bogi_khaosa said: Published on - 23:30:36

Are Guardsmen magically immune to the horrors of war, or should there be some insanity point gains listed in the Fear table?

As best as I can tell, Insanity usually comes from an out of combat source, or is allocated by the GM after an encounter. There are few creatures which, by simply viewing, cause a character to gain insanity or corruption. Not even fighting a Lord of Change (from DH ascension) mechanically gives you insanity points (but it can give corruption/mutations).

Insanity also comes from Psychic phenomena quite frequently.

Out of combat failed fear tests result in gaining some insanity points (OW CRB pg 305, Failing the Fear test).

Malachai said:

bogi_khaosa said: Published on - 23:30:36

As best as I can tell, Insanity usually comes from an out of combat source, or is allocated by the GM after an encounter. There are few creatures which, by simply viewing, cause a character to gain insanity or corruption. Not even fighting a Lord of Change (from DH ascension) mechanically gives you insanity points (but it can give corruption/mutations).

Insanity also comes from Psychic phenomena quite frequently.

Out of combat failed fear tests result in gaining some insanity points (OW CRB pg 305, Failing the Fear test).

What happened was that they accidentally copy-pasted the Fear table from Black Crusade, the only 40KRP game that does not give you Insanity Points from combat Fear (because it does not use Insanity Points). No way was this intentional, since 1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids) but in, like, every war movie ever made and every war novel ever written and 2) the entire rest of the Fear section is copy-pasted from Dark Heresy.

bogi_khaosa said:

1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids)

Quite the opposite. The major theme is being super-duper heroes while facing the biggest horrors the universe can vomit at you. I can't recall single WH40K story where a soldier snapped and it wasn't a "Hey, Jimmy the Loser snapped, so Joe the Hero had to save the day twice as much heroically!" thing.

As to the OP: The Sergeant is the social character. His Orders are quite 'meh'-ish, but he can fight rather well and can handle the random social encounters that the other couldn't.

On the other hand, I also wonder about the lack of sub-forums… Maybe someone should call the admins to do something…

bogi_khaosa said:

What happened was that they accidentally copy-pasted the Fear table from Black Crusade, the only 40KRP game that does not give you Insanity Points from combat Fear (because it does not use Insanity Points). No way was this intentional, since 1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids) but in, like, every war movie ever made and every war novel ever written and 2) the entire rest of the Fear section is copy-pasted from Dark Heresy.

Holy crap you're right! I totally missed that when I looked at Rogue trader. Good catch. So, we should probably use the rogue trader/DH fear tables then.

I have a mechanics question regarding the Razor Wing Flock minion (OW 358). This creature has wings listed as a weapon (Melee; 1d10+2 R; Pen 0; Razor Sharp, Tearing.)
Now consulting the Razor Sharp weapon trait (OW 172) it reads:
"…If the wielder scores three or more Degrees of Success when rolling to hit with this weapon, double this weapon's Pen when resolving the hit."
So going back to the Razor Sharp quality Wing weapon stas we have 0 pen. So imagining I roll a 01 to attack a PC, damage would look like this, at least as I read it:
1d10+2 damage, where 7, 8, 9, and 10 = 7 (since it is a standard natural weapon).
Before damage is rolled, and because I rolled a hit with 4 DoS with my 01 (WS 47) I apply razor sharp doubling the penetration of the weapon. Or, inother words:
Original Weapon Pen multilied by to, which in this case is 0x2 giving us a 0 penetration after Razor Sharp is applied.
So am I doing this wrong, or is there just a mistake here and I should always count weapons as having a Pen of 1 for application or Razor Sharp?

Also, multipl NPCs are listed with weapons they don't have the talent to use. Am I supposed to treat their use by the NPC as untrained, or assume they have traing to use said weapons.

Similarly I encounter stuff that gives a creature the Multiple Arms trait, which according to the rules requires Two-Weapon-Fighter to do anything in combat, without the NPC/Creature actually being given Two-Weapon-Fighter. So am I to assume said creature can utilize the multiple arms trait or that they can't when I encounter this.

Btw, none of the Dark Eldar actually can speak a language since most of them in OW aren't given any linguistics skills.

AtoMaki said:

bogi_khaosa said:

Quite the opposite. The major theme is being super-duper heroes while facing the biggest horrors the universe can vomit at you. I can't recall single WH40K story where a soldier snapped and it wasn't a "Hey, Jimmy the Loser snapped, so Joe the Hero had to save the day twice as much heroically!" thing.

I can. There's a major one involving Tyrannids. If they were super-dooper heroes, they would not suffer from Fear at all. Or all PCs would have Jaded.

Anyway, it's clearly a cut-and-paste goof. As things stand, Guardsmen are more resistant to madness than hardened rogue traders and members of the Inquisition.

One other thing:

The book uses BC's redefinition of "degrees of success" BUT in many many places does not take this into account in individual rules (which have, again, been copy-pasted from older books). E.g., Accurate should be +1d10 per two EXTRA degrees of success. Avoiding multiple attacks should be one extra attack avoided per EXTRA degree of success,

ZombieLenin said: Published on 5/15/2013 - 18:05:18

Also, multipl NPCs are listed with weapons they don't have the talent to use. Am I supposed to treat their use by the NPC as untrained, or assume they have traing to use said weapons.

Similarly I encounter stuff that gives a creature the Multiple Arms trait, which according to the rules requires Two-Weapon-Fighter to do anything in combat, without the NPC/Creature actually being given Two-Weapon-Fighter. So am I to assume said creature can utilize the multiple arms trait or that they can't when I encounter this.

Btw, none of the Dark Eldar actually can speak a language since most of them in OW aren't given any linguistics skills.

Hahahhaa man. Good finds, all of them.

Re: Razor sharp.
This sounds reasonable to me. Their weapons already count as primitive, so any pen they get will help make these weapons effective.

Re: Witches not knowing how to use splinter pistols and Orkboyz not knowing how to use Sluggas and neither of them speak their own language.

The weapon proficiency and language stuff probably weren't included in enemy stat blocks because FFG didn't count on players wanting to do anything with their enemies other than kill them. Putting stuff in like EWP: Splinter rifle would just lead to players want to take those talents, and since this isn't RT, that isn't allowed. While i really like the idea of certain grunts like cultists or grots having weapons they don't know how to use, i don't think this was intentional. I think it's also safe to assume that Chaos guys speak low gothic, and that the xenos speak their own language. Some xenos might also know low gothic, but that's probably up to the GM (how else would Orks be able to say "Wut da Zog?!" if they didin't speak the language?)

Re: Multi-arms
I think this was originally put into place to allow the monster to have more than one type of weapon on hand. E.G the three armed mutant is armed with an auto rifle and a chainsword. What's interesting to me is that everyone of these traits should be something like Multi-arms (X) as per the trait description. I don't recall if this or the requirement for two-weapon wielder has always been the case. Looking at the Khymera entry for the DE, it has the multiarms trait with no X, meaning it wouldn't ever get the extra attack assuming x=1.

I don't have my books on me right now, but a good check on how much of this is intentional and how much of this is a mistake is to do some cross referencing.

1. Find a creature with multiple arms that does melee combat, like the Genestealer
2. Look at the definitions for multi-arm traits for the system the creature is from and see if they're the same to the OW ones.

AtoMaki said:

On the other hand, I also wonder about the lack of sub-forums… Maybe someone should call the admins to do something…

So, choosing advanced speciality (/switching guardsman speciality/staying true to your speciality) takes place after spending 2500 Exp. Does it include initial 600 Exp given at character creation? I am bit unsure about the wording, my common sense and memories of other 40kRPGs say no, but how should it be RAW?

Droma said: Published on 5/16/2013 - 18:19:53

AtoMaki said:

To be frank this forum doesn't have enough activity to warrent additional sub forums.

That maybe true, but it's really hard to use these forums at all without any organization. At least a sticky or two would be nice. I realize now that this was probably the beta-playtest board and FFG simply changed it's title. The lack of an FAQ/errata compilation despite them already working on the 3rd supplement book is alarming. And all of this indicates to me that FFG simply doesn't care.

This was a new board they created when the game was close to launch. They got rid of the beta forums that actually did contain various sub forums for feedback.

Okay after reading the CRB and Hammer of the Emperor over and over again there are still some realy big questions on my mind.

Why is the range for a Leman Russ BATTLECANON listed with 350 meters? We'r talking about the Main Gun of a MBT here and not a simple heavy stubber. Same goes for the Earthshakerr Gun. Discriptions tells that it is a piece of "superior long range artillery" but the range chart tells us that it is in fact just a piece of short range anti-tank weapon with a range of 3.5km (3,500 meters). Compared to a modern day german Panzerhaubitze 2000 (max. range 30-40 km = 30,000 to 40,000 meters) this is next to nothing.

Same goes for every singel heavy weapon from autocannon to mortars and missilelaunchers the listed ranges don't make any sense.

Perhaps some of you fine folk can sheed some light on this matter.

My assumption is that it's because we don't give people chainsaw swords and point them at the other guy in real life. Realistic range would nerf close combat pretty heavily (unless every fight is an ambush/close quarters brawl/unending horde until the squad runs out of ammo).

It also makes representative miniatures easier to put on the map!

Ganruy said:

Why is the range for a Leman Russ BATTLECANON listed with 350 meters?

It's not, it's 750 meters. Where did you get that number? I brought up some some inconsistencies between the Weapons section of the Armoury and the ones listed in the Vehicles section in my Errata Suggestions thread (I might cannibalize this thread for things to bring up there, just to have it all collected in one place), but the Leman Russ Battle Cannon is the same in both (750m; S/–/–; 3d10+10 X; Pen 8; Clip 12; Reload 3 Full; Blast [10], Concussive [3], Reliable). You also shouldn't forget that weapons can fire up to 4 times their standard range, they just get increasingly harsh penalties to their attack rolls when doing so.

As for the rest you said, I just blame the fact that plenty of writers for 40k simply don't get military stuff, whether it's logistics, weapon ranges, tactics, or anything else, and then try to to fix the most egregious stuff by complaining at the people in charge until they notices and fixes the problem. Personally, I've been trying to get FFG to make the Ammo Backpack less crap since the Beta.

If a guardsman is engaged in melee, may he make a ballistic skill attack at the enemy with which he is engaged? What would the modifiers be? Thanks.

If a guardsman is engaged in melee, may he make a ballistic skill attack at the enemy with which he is engaged? What would the modifiers be? Thanks.

In melee you can make shooting attacks. But only against the target you are in melee with and only with pistols or weapons deliberately stating the can be used one hand in combat. There is no additional modifiers for shooting your melee opponent with a pistol, but note that you do not get the bonus for Point Blank Range in melee. If you are using Two-Weapon Fighting penalties will apply (see page 252 for Two Weapon Fighting).

As for the Battle Cannon and Artillery range issues, I have used search to find all the battle cannon references in my PDF and only found the distance 750m for it. The absolute range of the weapon (4x) would make it 4Km which is the same effective range as the M1a2 Abrams effective range.

Also if you are comparing artillery, the larger the calibre the more powder and therefore longer range. The long range artillery people site with 30Km+ range are 155mm peices. The Earthshaker is 132mm. And if you look up artillery ranges you should compare it with the smaller 105mm artillery aswell. You will find that the Earthshakers range is in between those from 105mm and 155mm artillery peices. 132 is between 105 and 155.

However if you compare it to 5.25" (132mm) Naval Guns you will find it lacking. But since Naval guns have heavier breaches (Too heavy for mobile ground use) and can therefore use more propellant it is somewhat understandable.

Having said all that though, the Forge World Imperial Armour 1 gives its ranges as exceeding 15Km. So it max range is still 1Km short. So I would House Rule the Earthshakers range to either 3750m (for 15Km max) or 4000m for (16Km max)