I want to play with 3 or 4 players !!! How can I do ?

By fatmax66, in Tannhauser

Hi ( sorry for my english, i'm french ! aliviado )

I've bought Tannhauser and somes expansions, and I want to play with 3 or 4 players. I have somes questions:

1/ I want to try with 2 vs 2 ( four players) system every player will have 2 heroes and one troop. Do you think it will be ok ?

2/ Can we play 1 vs 1 vs 1 ? How ?

3/ Generally how do you do to play with 3 players ? With 4 ?

Thanx and best regards.

Hi

With just the base game it is difficult, if you have novgorod there are more options available, I posted about them in the forums and also on miah's blog here

I will see your post.

I have bought: Tannhauser / Novgord/ Daedalus and one additionnal caracter for each team ( matriarcat/union/reich).

Thanx.

That will be enough for 3 players. If you want to play with 4 players, you should get the Shogunate characters as well, so you'll have 4 factions for 4 players. If you play with 3 or even 4 players, you probably should use 2 linked game boards. Especially in 3 player games, every player should have the first half of his characters enter the first board and the other half enter the second board. Playing a 2 vs. 2 with each player getting 2 heroes and 1 trooper sounds good as well.

Ok, good Idea, but what kind of game do you play with 2 boards ( capture the flag, domination, story ? ). How do you determine the link between the two boards ?

Have you got exemples ?

Thanx.

Hi I have a similar wish. so rather than starting a new thread I'm posting here

I see Tannhauser as primarily a two-player 4 with the expansions thrown in. I've only played it as a two player game saving it for nights when there are only two of us.

But now that I have almost all the expansions and I've swelled my gaming ranks to 6-9 players I want to give it a try with that many players

My initial idea of getting all players involved with minimal or no down-time for hero-deaths is to make the game Death Match mode but more like the console online games where one runs around shooting and respawning while scoring the game on kills/deaths ratios.

so one player one hero, or two troopers matching up the faction sides evenly, with mercenaries out for themselves. or have all v all. scatter bonus and crate tokens on the objective/action circles and replace all on a board when there are non left on a board.

keep tallies of a characters kills and deaths and score the game at the end of the night. possible set up two - four boards together. one idea was to have the castle and the catacoombs together and then a gate token in the centre of the catacoombs map that leads to the centre of the deadalus map.

I'm currently only missing the Shogunate force (although I've just bought the map pack), also missing only the Frankenstahl's and troop pack for the Reich and only the troop packs for the Union and Matriachy so I recon I've got enought to get this masterplan into action.

Any thoughts?

The main chalenge when adding players (and thus characters) in the game is game lenght, instead of linking boards I have used some fanmade boards that are bigger than the standard ones.

Using the rules I have posted in miahs blog I have played very fun Domination and CTF games 3p games with 2 heroes and 2 troopers per player worked very well for these in a single map if you dont want to bother making it bigger.

I've played some 3p games on a singel map with full teams, which ended up as a total bloodbath, but it was fun. If you are going to have a 3p+ deathmatch, just make sure too have a clear end of the game, for example, the game will only last 10 turns or the first one that gets 6 kills win.

Also, if you are going to do a 6p game with either 1 hero or 2 troopers per player, ban the epic heros, they will be unfair.

To share my experience for 4 players in a coop game 2 players vs 2 players this week.

We played on the Tesla Map with king of the Hill rules .

My specific rules for 4 players:

- 2 teams, each players has 2 heroes and one troop ( we played Union + Edison vs Reich + Yula)

- Players don't choose when they play. In a same side, players must play alternately ( if a player A don't have figure to play in his turn, player B can play).

Rules I will add:

- At the end of the game, the winner is the team which have more points…The team win even if every figures are deads. ( i think it will stimulate more movements on the board to earn points ).

It was so fun ! I recommend it !

I love this game, revised rules are greats.

I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but I have never played Tannhäuser in King of the Hill mode.

But how does it feel? Do people actually care about the objectives or does it turn into a frag party?

I would also recommend playing a normal objective match on two maps with four full teams. It is pretty epic.

I always avoided that as I thought it would be like 2 1 vs 1 objective games played side by side but with the extra waiting for other activations to resolve.

Was that the case? how long did it take?

MeisterH said:

I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but I have never played Tannhäuser in King of the Hill mode.

But how does it feel? Do people actually care about the objectives or does it turn into a frag party?

I would also recommend playing a normal objective match on two maps with four full teams. It is pretty epic.

At the beginning of the game we try to resolve objectives, the second part turn into a frag party, it's the reason why the next game, I say the winner is the team with the most points which win even if all his figures are dead at the end of the turn 10.

One question : How do you put objectives with four full teams on two maps please ?

fatmax66 said:

MeisterH said:

At the beginning of the game we try to resolve objectives, the second part turn into a frag party, it's the reason why the next game, I say the winner is the team with the most points which win even if all his figures are dead at the end of the turn 10.

One question : How do you put objectives with four full teams on two maps please ?

It was a while since I did that but if I don't remember wrong, we counted the number of objectiv spots and made sure that every one had to complet the same amount of secondary and main objectives and we also made sure that everyone had the same amount of objectives on both maps. We played on the castle kzias and okinawa crash site, as shown in the long war in operation hinansho.

Though I feelt that the Matriarchy was a bit overpowered with theire Voivodes and Oksana, they can clear objectives extremly fast.

For the sake of clarity I'll repost the multiplayer rules I proposed clarifying how objectives are chosen in 3p and 4p games in a single map:

These rules account for the daedalus rules for new entrances for castle ksiaz and dungeon maps.

General hints, for more than 2p I would rather go for 4 character teams to limit the aoount of figures on the table the maps are intended for 10-12 figures and that way that is preserved, I went for 2heroes and 2 troopers in 2cp games and 3 heroes 1 trooper in 3 cp games to limit the reinforcement options but this is up to you.

The side effect of this is that it shortens turns (and games) which is often welcome.

Player order is determined as usual by initiative, only lowest initiative roller can re-roll initiative.

Here they go! (Again it would be good to have some feedback)

Deathmatch:
In multiplayer mode the game ends when there are only 2 factions remaining on the board, the player with more kills wins.
3 players: Each faction team is comprised of 2 Heroes and 2 troopers. On a 2 entrances map use the additional entrances rules on the daedalus rules page 5 (available for free at FFG site). On the unused entry point place a secret door token, any faction may choose that entrance as an alternative entry point. If at end game a player does not have at least 1 kill from each opponent he counts as having 2 less kills.
4 players: Each faction is comprised of 2 Heroes and 1 trooper. On a 2 entrances map use Daedalus additional entrance circles mark ownership of each entrance circle with facedown objective tokens. If at end game if a player does not have at least 1 kill from at least two opponents he counts as having 2 less kills.

Capture the flag:
3 players: Each faction team is comprised of 2 Heroes and 2 troopers. On a 2 entrances map use the additional entrances rules on the daedalus rules page 5 (available for free at FFG site). Each player puts a flag on their entrance circle and the remaining 2 flags in designed objective circles using normal placement rules. The winner must have placed 3 flags and at least 1 from each opponent.
4 players: Each faction team is comprised of 2 Heroes and 2 troopers. On a 2 entrances map use Daedalus additional entrance circles mark ownership of each entrance circle with facedown objective tokens. Each player puts a flag on their entrance circle. Each player puts a second flag on an action circle, if you run out of action circles to put flags on place them on the stamina circle and/or the combat circle. The winner must have placed 3 flags and at least 1 from each non allied opponent, allied faction flags cannot be handled (although allied factions are considered as opponents for all other effects).

Domination:
3 players: Each faction team is comprised of 3 Heroes and 1 trooper. On a 2 entrances map use the additional entrances rules on the daedalus rules page 5 (available for free at FFG site), treat action circles as objective circles for flag placement purposes.
4 players: Each Faction is comprised of 3 Heroes and 1 trooper.On a 2 entrances map use Daedalus additional entrance circles mark ownership of each entrance circle with facedown objective tokens When an action circle has a previous flag already placed use the following rules: If the previous flag(s) belong(s) to an allied faction (Union is allied with Matriarchy and Reich with Shogunate) place your flag on top of it, if there are any previous flags not belonging to your allied faction remove any of those flags from the circle.

King of the Hill Mode
Honestly, I never play this mode so I don't think I can suggest a balanced way of playing this mode.

Objective Mode
3 players: Treat all objective circles as primary objective circles. Take turns as normal placing objective tokens on the circles. Each faction team is comprised of 3 Heroes and 1 trooper. On a 2 entrances map use the additional entrances rules on the daedalus rules page 5 (available for free at FFG site).
4 players: Each faction is comprised of 3 Heroes and 1 Trooper, On a 2 entrances map use Daedalus additional entrance circles. Each faction places 2 objective tokens each, if all objective circles are covered try using action circles, if all of them are covered, place the token in the stamina bonus circle and/or in the combat bonus circle.

I am confused arent some of the expansions provide gameplay for 3 players? Am i wrong on this?

I am confused arent some of the expansions provide gameplay for 3 players? Am i wrong on this?

Officially, the base game supports 2-10 players. Playing with more than two just means splitting up the 10 available figs between however many players, though. 10 players just means one figure for each player. Not particuarly well done IMHO, especially considering how easy it is to kill a single figure in this game.

If you want more than two teams on the same board, you're looking for house rules.

Talking about playing with more than 2 players but no more than 5... the core game has 3 heros for the Union and 3 for the Reich + 2 troops for each side, so is it really needed to buy the Union & Reich Troop Packs?

I'm confused and I don't see why should someone would buy one of those troop packs. I think just if two players want to play at the same time with the same team.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Trrop packs are useful, in some team builds it may make more sense to use 2 troopers of the same type instead of one and one (reich does better with 2 shocktruppen with hermann and with 2 stoss with hoss for example)

You can also home rule the team size or even the setup if you use artemus point based system

I have already mentioned the best approach for 3 and 4 player games, 1 player per faction, dividing the faction between players does not work very well in my experience although we only did it once.

I have been thinking about another approach, a home ruled mod to make tannhauser play like descent: 1 player controls reich as bad guys and the other players control 1 hero each from the union, the game mode would be objective driven scenarios...