de plane de plane

By player1540319, in Dust Warfare

Played a game the other night vs allies, they had the plane with bombs(Bert) I think. It seemed to go down quick after it bombed my reapers. I was able to react to it with the Rattler, and then attk. with it again and reapers during my turn. Berti went down in flames. I want to by the planes but wonder if they are worth the points. I should say that this was my opponents first time flying one. Did he pick on the wrong units since I was able to shoot back? Also, what is the advantage to fly at low altitude? It seems that you should always fly high.

chris cook said:

Played a game the other night vs allies, they had the plane with bombs(Bert) I think. It seemed to go down quick after it bombed my reapers. I was able to react to it with the Rattler, and then attk. with it again and reapers during my turn. Berti went down in flames. I want to by the planes but wonder if they are worth the points. I should say that this was my opponents first time flying one. Did he pick on the wrong units since I was able to shoot back? Also, what is the advantage to fly at low altitude? It seems that you should always fly high.

The only reason I can think of to fly low is because you are forced to, and that is not a very good reason. At low altitude Aircraft become vehicles, so everything can shoot them.

Moving aircraft is very tricky. The SSU have had the advantage of Hover, the Allies and Axis do not. It will take some time for most players to get a hang of how to maneuver planes safely.

Sounds like he didn't support his aircraft well. Also, did he not shoot up those Reapers with the MGs when he went by? Its something like 7/1, which can cause some hurt if they aren't in cover and suppresses them at the least. I would run my Pelican into the waiting guns of Reapers and a Rattler, though. Seems like a bad plan. And the Bertie has the rockets, which would be better I think. Just shoot up the Reapers and Rattler as you go at them. 3/2 on those Ground Rockets can be pretty damaging on a V4 if it gets a good roll.

I would say he should run at least two aircraft, though, to ensure target saturation.