So, who has started/finished painting their relic busts?

By Vomkrieg, in Relic

Post up you pics of your painted Relic busts, ill get the ball rolling with the ones I have done so far.

From my painting blog http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/

The first three are mine, and the Ultramarine captain was done by a friend who has an Ultramarines army

Vomkrieg_Commissar.jpg

Vomkrieg_Sister.jpg

Vomkrieg_Assassin.jpg

Bust1.png

Looking good so far! Are you going to do any highlighting on the assassin? She's very glossy. I've just about finished the smurf, and will slowly work through the others in my free time.

Tony Helion said:

Looking good so far! Are you going to do any highlighting on the assassin? She's very glossy. I've just about finished the smurf, and will slowly work through the others in my free time.

There is some highlighting on the assassin but its hard to see in that pic. And the glossyness is intentional, i was going the "wet look" pvc/vinyl for the bodysuit.

being so dark, she just did not photograph well at all

That's what I figured…it wasn't a rip or anything, I think they all look nice!

Tony Helion said:

That's what I figured…it wasn't a rip or anything, I think they all look nice!

Any grumpiness would be me grumbling at the pic quality. You can just make out that her nose and eys have had some highlights, but's its pretty subtle.

I really need a light box or something better to take shots with.

Actually suprised this forum isn't flooded with pics.

Lovely pictures, I don't have the game yet but if I get it I do intend to paint the busts. I've never quite gotten lenses right, how did you do them? And the great black on the commissar? Never managed to get black right.

(If I may) The trick with lenses (like on the Ultramarine) and some gems is that you need to put the highlights at the BOTTOM of the lens and the shadows at the top, the opposite of what is usually done with opaque objects, it's to simulate the light coming from above shining thru the transparent lens. Then you can either add a "catchlight"(a small white dot) to simulate the reflection of the actual light source, or you can paint the lens with a clear gloss (which I would do as a matter of course anyway), or both.

Ghaundan said:

Lovely pictures, I don't have the game yet but if I get it I do intend to paint the busts. I've never quite gotten lenses right, how did you do them? And the great black on the commissar? Never managed to get black right.

I paint it all black and then highlight a little with black and dark blue mixed. Helps break it up a little while still keeping it "black"

Three more

relic+rog.jpg '

backshot.jpg

relic+adep.jpg

Relic+INq.jpg

Lovely work.

I think I will start my busts as soon as I finish my new Codex Eldar stuff…

Nicely done; what are the decals on the Marine?

Great job.

The marine is particularly stunning.

There she is. My first Relic character painted. The lips were actually the hardest thing. I didn't want her to wear lipstick and I wanted a warm pink glow as well. I went with fairly natural skin and hair tones. I only have a few paint pots, one of which was purple, so I went with a purple armor scheme.

I am pleased with it. Not ecstatic, but pleased none the less. Besides, I paint miniatures for a 3 feet distance which is how far I and most of my friends enjoy the painting, that is when we are playing.

pic1876919_md.jpg

I finished mine about a month ago and found the Ogryn to be the most horrible model. The commissar, rogue trader and Ultramarine are the best. I see that the Sister if Battle looks strange in all cases; perhaps it's either the model or we don't paint girl models enough!

For black, I use GW's Eshin Gray as the base, Shadow Grey for major highlights and old Fortress Grey for top highlights. A black ink wash to finish it off.

Edited by Cailus

We need pictures... When all is said and done, you need to show us your work, even if it is crappy. We are a community and FFG will only take notice of us if we spur this game on.

I am working on the space marines. I am going with a Tyrannid veteran look with a white helmet.

I finished mine about a month ago and found the Ogryn to be the most horrible model. The commissar, rogue trader and Ultramarine are the best. I see that the Sister if Battle looks strange in all cases; perhaps it's either the model or we don't paint girl models enough!

For black, I use GW's Eshin Gray as the base, Shadow Grey for major highlights and old Fortress Grey for top highlights. A black ink wash to finish it off.