Skill activation

By 413554ndr0, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

If you don't want to activate an optional skill, you cannot activate the next skill, am I right?

Example: you use a player with these skills: cheating - tackling - cheating.

The first skill (cheating) is mandatory, so you get 1 cheat token.

The second skill is optional and you decide not to use it.

In this case, the third skill, even if it's mandatory, is not activated, because you do not activate the previous one.

Is it correct?

Thanks.

I dont think that is a correct interpretation of the rules, but the rules do not seem to explicitly negate it.

The only notes that come close are the Bold text stating Cheating is mandatory (implies there's no way to avoid it) and the text in the Sudden Death expansion involving Downed Skills…

After completely resolving all of a players downed skills…

To me, this indicates that not using an optional skill is a method of resolving said skill and that the game intends you to resolve all available skills (barring getting downed or injured).

There is also the text regarding Passing when you already have the ball. It tells the player to ignore the additional passing icon, but doesn't address ignoring ALL subsequent icons.

But if you feel opting out of Block avoids the following Cheating skill, by all means go for it; without clarification it seems justified.. just a little hinky IMHO

Nah, if a Skill is optional, it means you won't have to do it, but doesn't mean you skip any following Skills automatically. Only way to avoid the second cheating with the example player is to make a tackle and get knocked down yourself. I agree it's not explicit in the rules, although the SD rules have something about that:

"A manager may use all skill icons on a single side of a

slash. For example, if a player has / on his card, his
manager may choose to use once, twice, or not at all, or
he may choose to use once or not at all. If a is present
among the chosen skills, a manager must assign the player
a cheating token." (p. 2)

Thanks for your quick reply, but I would like to have an "official" answer to this topic, because it changes a lot the way of playing.

Moreover the rulebook at pag 10 says: Managers must completely resolve a skill before using another skill.

This could mean that if you don't want to resolve an optional skill you cannot use the other ones…

It sounds fair….

For an official answer, you'll have to use the Rules Questions tab at the bottom of the page, FFG never answers on the forums, it's just players.

For what it's worth, skipping a skill is just as completely resolving it as say rolling the dice and applying the result (for a Block skill).

Similar discussion:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/710209/cheating

Thanks.

I'll write to FF.

But also your replyes convice me.

Let's wait for FF response :-)

Ciao.