Worth it for 2?

By SerAndrew, in Age of Conan

My wife and I are huge Conan fans, but this looks like a game better suited for 3-4 players. Anyone play with just 2 and still enjoy it?

I am playing my second game with two - against my 13 year old son. He loves it. Its pretty fast and clean with two and plays very well I feel. We are trying Hyperborea vs Stygia for our second game (Central Hyboria always playable whatever the matchup). Still seems to work perfectly even though that is not the suggested combo in the rulebook.

My 23 year old son and I played for the first time last night and it went well, no problems--and a lot of fun. We played the suggested combo, Aquilonia vs Turan, but we couldn't see any reason another match up wouldn't be equally available as the previous poster said. I wouldn't avoid the game just because you only have two players--and who knows when a third or fourth may come along?

I just got mine in the mail today, and I'm hoping to get my girlfriend give it a go with me. Seems like it would be much faster...is it?

My wife and I have played a couple of 2 player games. It plays just fine with 2 players (although I haven't played with more than 2 so I have no basis for comparison). Now if she would just stop beating me at the game...

"If it's Conan, it's worth it!"

SerAndrew said:

My wife and I are huge Conan fans, but this looks like a game better suited for 3-4 players. Anyone play with just 2 and still enjoy it?

This game was not costumed made for two players like certain other games. And watch out you will not be playing Conan but playing with or against him.

However... I am a Conan fan and a two player game of Age of Conan is really enjoyable! gran_risa.gif

I'll talk about my experiments and thoughts about the subject.

I've bought it last week and had the first game with two players. And I am now playing my second time with three. Hopefully the third will have four players.

Actually I bought it because its for more than two players, but at the first game the others "usual suspects" weren't around.

I bought it equally because of the other game this authors made - War of the Ring, wich I think its one of my favorites, and its kind of similar.

For one exception it really is a 2 player game, since you should always have a grand plan for your strategy in how to take down the adversary. In four player games its difficult to have a thought strategy throughout the game, since some of the players must play with some of the nations wich you probably wouln't move so early in the game. It looses its depth in three-four player games.

Since usually the "usual suspects" are around, after reading the rules I bought Ages of Conan.

I think its a good game. Fast paced and really simple. The character Conan is a great addition for the gameplay, its kind of a joker that you really must have attention to, as he goes for you or against you.

Now it is worth if you are always going to play it with 2??

I guess it is... I think it hasn't the depth in terms of strategy it should have if it was designed just for 2 players. For example some of the objectives in play really lose the juice with just 2 players. And its problable that you get tired of it.

This "depth" comes from all the other players in game, wich rises the number of threats to your empire, and rises the sugestions of strategys of how to tackle them.

So...I think Age of Conan works well with two players but its much more fun with more.

The game is really fast going. In some ways I think its faster with more players, since the dice pool will be increasingly shorter, leaving less possible moves.

In conclusion if you have just another regular partner, go for War of the Ring! One of the greatest! You'll find it more replayable and enjoyable.

Otherwise go for Conan! Great fast game for more players!

In either way, it's good that Fantasy Flight Games have either rules in .pdf, so go print it and read it. That way you know what you are buyin'.

Well there you go...

Cheers, Q.

Definitely. My wife and I are playing it and it's hitting a sweet spot...heavy enough for me, light enough for her.

Hi everybody,

Got the game today, I hope to get someone to try it this weekend happy.gif

Will probably be a 2 players game.

Let you know in the future hoe it went.

Cheers,

This was just the kind of thread I was looking for here. I've got War of the Ring and was hoping Conan would play well with 2 or more players and it sounds like it does just fine.

It certainly looks like a beautiful game with a great theme.

I usually play Age of Conan with my girfriend, and it plays very well. First we tested the game as suggested in the rulebook as Turan VS Aquilonia, and later we tried different matches like Hyperborea VS Stygia and so on. I think the game is well suitable for 2 players.What matters very much is who you are playing the game with, and of course, the right atmosphere. The soundtracks by Basil Poledouris do a great service! :)

Definitely a good two player game.