Parry skill questions

By jack_px, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi, recently i bought black crusade and i have some questions about this skill,

PARRY (WEAPON SKILL)

Parry is the ability to avoid blows in melee, either deflecting them using one’s hands or weapons, or evading them entirely through quick reflexes.
soo reading this i understand that you dont need a weapon to parry because you can evade them, but, what happen then with the flexible cuality of some weapons?
FLEXIBLE
Some weapons are made up of a multitude of loosely connected segments, such as chains, while others, such as whips, are woven from supple hides. These kinds of weapons lash about when used to attack and cannot be Parried.
Honestly by the description of parry, this cuality doesnt make any sense to me

Had a game just the other day about this rule. The guy i was playing with didnt understand how a pen 5 lathed Saber could not pary a whip. I just decided to house rule it that weapons with Flexible make pary atempts at a -30. I think that works and shows that yes…whips are hard to pary, but not completly

This is a combination of poor choice of words for a new rule (the Parry Skill, added in BC, was not present in older game lines, it was assumed that everyone had Parry at WS +0 rather than being a skill) and the copy/pasted text from previous books (the Flexible trait, present in all game lines since DH).

Flexible means that you cannot parry the weapon because it will wrap around your parry and hit you anyway (at least, that's the justification in older books).

I've heard it said that you cannot dodge a melee attack in Black Crusade, that you must parry it or not avoid it at all. Given that the Flexible trait makes it impossible to parry, that would represent a serious balance problem compared with older games. Especially when you consider that a daemon weapon or a legacy weapon can add the Flexible trait to a weapon that wouldn't normally have it, potentially a weapon that hits a LOT harder than a whip and can hit multiple times on a Lightning Attack.

Answer in any other 40k RPG system: No, you can't parry, dodge it instead

Answer in Black Crusade: @#$%! this book needs an editor, refer to older game line (above)