Question on Deep One Rising and Performance Artist

By brightknight_216, in CoC Rules Discussion

Deep One Rising

Just want to clarify that from the reading of the FAQ, I believe Doppleganger can have the triggered effect of Deep One Rising when played but can the "Forced Response" of Deep One Rising be triggered when using the ability of Hydra which state "Action: Pay 2 to choose a Deep One character in your discard pile and put it into play" and the effect of Twilight Gate which said " Action: Choose a non-Ancient One character card attached to one of your domains as a resource. Put that card into play under your control. If that character is still in play at the end of the phase, attach it to any of your domains as a resource."

Performance Artist

Can Performance Artist be sacrificed to cancel the effect of location card like Shadowed Reef in order to make Deep One lose the benefit of gaining a Terror Icon and give me the opportunity to use some Hastur's events or character to make my opponent's Deep One insane.

"Put into play" is different than "play" (FAQ, section 2.24). Since Deep One Rising requires "play", the "put into play" from Hydra etc. won't trigger that effect.

Performance Artist says " Disrupt: Sacrifice Performance Artist to cancel the effects of a character or support card ability." So yes, you can use this cancel the effect of a support card.

I was under the impression that Performance Artist cannot cancel passive effects (like on Shadowed Reef). This is under the timing structure in the FAQ:

Passive abilities are “always on,” and
active whenever the circumstances of
their text would indicate. When any
action, regardless if it is a player action
or a framework action seeks to initiate,
any passives that would alter the ability
will do so. That altered ability now
follows the standard timing of that type
of action. At every instance of a new
effect initiating or having executed, each
relevant passive ability must be resolved.
Passive effect cannot be canceled.
Was there another ruling to say otherwise?
-Joe

badash56 said:

I was under the impression that Performance Artist cannot cancel passive effects (like on Shadowed Reef).

I am little bit confused with regards to this "Passive Ability" ruling. Are we to say that during gameplay Shadow Reefs has already given effect to the Deep Ones and therefore even I sacrifice Performance Artist it will not work to nullify the effects as all the Deep Ones already received the terror icon? Or that there need to be a continuous interaction between Shadow Reefs and the Deep Ones and when Performance Artist's ability is activated it somewhat severes the "connection" between Shadow Reef and the Deep Ones where as such, none of the Deep Ones will have the terror icon?

Or that Passive Ability cannot be cancelled at all?

From my understanding, passive effects just can not be canceled. To use Performance Artist, there needs to be a trigger keyword before the ability like 'action', 'response', 'forced response', or 'disrupt'.