4 Years In: What do you and your fellow players think of WFRP?

By Emirikol, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

4 Years In: What do you and your players think of WFRP?

What kinds of comments are you still thinking?

r43_219x164_12356_Dealing_in_Danger_2d_f

We think it's great. Most of my players have expressed that this is (by far) the best roleplaying game they have played. The only issues they have are that there are too few careers, they'd want even more to choose from and the fact that number of talent sockets does not depend on rank (we still use socketing). Also, they would like to see elf supplements similar to black fire pass.

We started playing 2010 and most of the players from the original group are still playing (two moved away so they did not stop playing by choice).

Also, I introduced a person to roleplaying through WFRP and she loved it and thought that all the bits and cards were very handy for her.

Do you mean the 3rd edition in particular? or the setting and all its incarnations through the different editions?

Hi,

Our group was a little unsure of the cards and fiddly bits when 3rd ed was released, but after a couple of sessions we were all sold. It is not without its mechanical problems, ie some scaling issues on opposed tests, but none of the issues were difficult to fing reasonable solutions. While I realise that most games have a production lifespan for business reasons, I do hope this edition is supported and possibly evolved into an eventual 4th ed.

1st ed has the most nostalgic affection for our group, but in all honesty the quality of play with 3rd ed has surpassed probably any other RPG weve played.

I too would like an elf box, but it wouldnt be wfrp if we werent continually waiting for an elf supplement… ;)

In my opinion it's propably the most enjoying edition of wfrp to play. The mechanics make the game really fun to play. My group in every session is as excited as it was in the first one. What I miss, is more careers (especially elite and heroic) and maybe some more creatures like different kind of vampires, dragons, mummies. More expansions would be welcome and I can't wait for them!

Also add BRETONNIA! we are all looking forward to it!

After playing for almost 1.5 years I have to say that I love the system. I think the cards and the dice (banes, boons, chaos stars, comets) facilitate great role-playing. I don't think the cards are a crutch for role-play. I think the stripped-down rules-medium/light versions (no talent-socketing, no party sheet, etc., for example) streamlines the game and works great.

Playing an intitiate was a bit dodgy with currying favor, recharge tokens, etc. My Sigmar priest was basically a combat mook. Not that exciting to play. I lean towards non-magic, non-priest characters at this point.

It seems like it's really hard to NOT get hit in combat. Would like it if my character could avoid/dodge/parry/block a bit better.

We're just scratching the surface of the revamped Enemy Within campaign and it's been a blast so far.

Although we have a bunch of dice at our table we could use a few more. C'mon FFG!

I'd hate to see 3rd edition simply die.

I've been playing since W3 release in 2010, 5-6 players + the GM, about 45 game sessions.

We all love the game still.

We've played most W3 adventures (but not Enemy Within yet) and are currently ending Thousand Thrones adapted to W3.

We've never used the tension meter on the Party Sheet, but otherwise I think we've been using all the W3 mechanics.

Agree with the above. My players absolutely love WFRP 3 more than any other RPG they've played. It revolved so much more on the story, and involves so much more thinking. Specifically to 3e's credit, my players love having the cards in front of them for Actions. Easy for them (especially those less experienced in RPGs) to see exactly what they can do and the various results that can occur.

Personally, I have to agree myself. I love GM'ing it so much. It is so flexible, and allows me as a GM to easily handle curve-balls that the players think up.

I resisted for a long time, but 1.5 years ago, jumped fully onto the 3rd band wagon. I enjoy it. Personally, if 3rd dies, I would be disappointed, but not devastated . I do not find it too difficult to convert 1st and 2nd edition on the fly, so I still have lots of toys to play with.

I'm a huge Warhammer fan, both RPG and table top, but the 3rd edition never really clicked with me or my RPG group. We had a hard time getting into character (we didn't really like the prepainted carreer cards) and getting that RPG feeling. We gave it a few sessions, but later decided to go for 2nd edition Warhammer instead.

Here's hoping 4th edition goes back to its roots a bit. =) My personal opinion, of course! There seem to be plenty of people here who love the game.

Well… just saying… purely for fun I scan in my players' career cards and find a picture online and photoshop in a picture more appropriate to their character. It isn't very difficult to do. burla

Isn't the art for 3e reprinted from 2e and colorized? When I look through my career compendium 2e, it looks the same to me. I hope the new Zweihander game doesn't make the same mistake burla I think part of why I enjoyed 2e so much (and have nostalgia to what 1e brought to my D&D game) was that there are so dang many careers that had unique artwork and that it doesn't matter which one you choose, because they're all essentially equal in terms of game-power (except for the Ironbroken of course..but that's just because of his armor).

Anyways, I'm with the earlier posters that I may not want my character to look like the character on the card (initiate is a good example), so we photoshop as well and slide that pic right into the table-tent. We do the same for our Pathfinder games..and our Cthulhu games..and D&D games..and Conan games..and I even do it for boardgames (much to the chagrin of the typical personality-lacking bardgamers..no offense to you personality-lacking boardgamers ;)

Also, my kids complained when we played Talisman that they didn't want to play a character of the opposite sex, so I printed some pix off the internet and taped them to the front of the character cards. For the troll, I used Mrs. Shrek for example. So, it's not just us older people that want some variety.

Regarding pictures of characters that I don't like, I don't like what D&D became. Its like they sprinkled fairy-dust on all their artwork.

Pathfinder still gets some good stuff, and can walk the line with comedy.

jh

My players and I, a bunch of newbies, started at the end of 2011 and played since a half year ago (sometimes every second week).

We only stopped because I was not there for the last half year, but they are eager to continue their journey in the old world. And so am I. Tomorrow I will send them to Nordland for the crimson rain adventure.

As I recall, just about all of the 3e art is recycled GW art. Not all of it is from 2e, but it is all pulled from GW's Warhammaer Fantasy library and tweaked (generally colorized).

I have a very love/Hate relationship with the game. Mechanically I love the cards, tokens, career sheets and I LOVE the stance track, and I LOVE the dice! i recently got the chance to play for the first time….i have been GM since i purchased the game 8 months ago. I played an amethyst wizard and found the mechanics and components to be the easiest game i have ever played!!! WOW i was shocked, however if given the choice, between 3e and wfrp presented the same way Dark Heresy is, sadly I would choose the Dark Heresy route. I am the minority in the two groups that I run for. What I miss is easy storage and portability. I miss having friends over and lounging on the couch playing an RPG without the necessity of a large table or any table for that matter :-). I miss heading over to a friends house, throwing 2 or 3 books in a backpack along with graph paper penciles and a dice bag. For me I just can not do that with 3e. Like I said I LOVE it, and I HATE it just as much. But I will continue to run the game and love doing it and I will buy everything ffg releases for it.

Long live 3e! But I hope 4e takes a lot from DH

Love with just the needy feeling of more love (to quote the line that had everyone looking at the wood elf character's player), "elves need more love".

i recently found a way to play by post, as my friends don't even want to try the game (even though they don't have to expend money!). I only want to say that i LOVE it! But as Valvorik said, the wood elfs need some love.

Now, as a wishlist: What if, there is an adventure set in the bretonnian/ loth loren boundry? there should be material enough between the brettonian armybook, and the wood elf army book to place something there, if that's the main adventure inspiratonial setting. There is so much to go for: Questing knights, squires, men at arm (not so much), lady of the lake spells and other arthurian lore, and for the other side, wardancers career path (not only the most basic that is already out there), glade rider, pathfinders, even hawk rider…

just my thought about it ;)

Tho i can't find a group to play with right now (Northern Virginia peeps, hit me up!), I really enjoyed the game when I was able to play. I've only been a GM (and a first time one at that), and found that the dice easily lend towards roleplay. Wish I could be on the player end to experience that too, but just from a GM experience, I have nothing but good things to say about it (other than the scarce player base in my area).

A word from Chaos Wastes (Russia). Sorry for my poor English, it's not my native language.

My friends and I started playing the game in January 2011, so we are in for more then 2 years now. We gradually bought all the nessesary supplements to have acess to all things that make game more interesting - different careers, mounts, deseases, corruption, mutations, severe wounds, wizard/priest spells, small but vicious ghouls… We had more than 50 gaming nights and finished many grim, dark ( sonreir ) and perilous adventures. Around 15 player characters died from different reasons. One or two turned into Chaos Spawns (during adventures in Norska). We even finished the Hero's Call Adventure, with players defending Castle Shlussesshloss until the end (ours ending was rather stupid, btw).

We played WFRP 2ed alot before and during 3ed (we enjoy it), so we are able to compare the two editions.

We think that WFRP 3ed is a great game - mainly because of the components. All that cards make the game a way easier to play than any other roleplaying game we've ever tried. And if you don't like or need any components, just remove them from the table. That saves lots of time, compared to finding things in many-paged books.

And while the game is easy-to-play, it is rather deep in content. Lots of careers means lots of different characters - from social duelist (social duels are funny, with NPC nobles running out of the room in shame) to zweihander warrior, fish-creating priest of Mannan, mind-****** Shadow Wizard or corrupted, oops-again-miscast warlock. NPCs are easy to customise, too. My first character died from a Reckless Cleave performed by a maid who turned out to be a Lamiah vampire sonreir Making houseruled stuff is absolutely easy, too.

And for those who miss 2ed stuff - it can really be converted into 3ed, try it! But if I don't mistake, there was no book dedicated to elves in 2ed, so long-eared kin still suffer from the void of content.

Conclusion: we love the game and never played anything like it before. New expansions are desired. Too bad that FFG shifted its attention to different projects. I hope at least new PoDs will be appearing without long delays.

Special thanks to Liber Fanatica authors, Gitzman's Gallery owner (suddenly it's Gitzman sonreir ) and Kalevala Hammer. Gentlemen, your stuff rocks, be it for 2ed or 3ed.

I must also mention that this forum has so calm and friendly atmosphere, compared to other places in the net. Thanks to all guys (and probably girls?) who make this place a safe heaven in the ocean of rage and derp.

Aranei said:

And for those who miss 2ed stuff - it can really be converted into 3ed, try it! But if I don't mistake, there was no book dedicated to elves in 2ed, so long-eared kin still suffer from the void of content.

http://liberfanatica.net/Elf_Project.html

That's great! Thank you!

I am still in love with this game.

Sadly I was never able to run one group for more than three sessions, but I played a lot of oneshots, and it's my favourite game to gamemaster.

For those of you who want to play, but have odd schedules or find it hard to get groups together, try out the virtual online tabletop games. there is a very active online community playing using Maptool or Fantasy grounds.

Check first at google+ groups

we still love the game

it is almost a pick up and play game as the core rules are explained in like 30 minutes and everything is tought as you go.

we have been playing for 3 years now with some short breaks and still have not touched every topic there is yet. we are still missing out on skave and undead and also lots and lost of other creatures we haven't ecnountered yet.

but as a GM there comes the time when you are sucked out and have no new ideas…im at that point now. as we play in german i dont want to buy stuff like TEW which i would have to completely translate before we can play…
btw, does anyone know a site with good 3e scenarios/adventures in german?

greetings
neph