Alchemy Puzzle in Return of the Reanimator

By Roxysteve, in Mansions of Madness

The alchemy puzzle in this scenario is revealed as part of the objective. A player opined that since it wasn't a puzzle from a puzzle card or a lock card, the solver could "carry it" - getting out of a burning room and still having a chance to solve it in a different location to the place where it was "found".

All the other puzzles are locked to a location. Was my player right that the alchemy puzzle could be solved anywhere the discovering player chose to attempt it, or should he have stayed in the place it was found?

Does this other player actually think that if this were real life, he'd be able to pick up the lab table with all the chemicals and lab equipment and carry it out of a burning room? Well, the answer is no. And since this isn't real life, the answer is still no. The puzzles are bound to the room they are found in, no matter how they are found.

I'm with you on the visualization and rationale, but the player, not unreasonably, would like to see a rule or FAQ saying he cannot do this since the rules that do address the issue of puzzles specifically only do so explicitly in terms of obstacle cards.

Believe me I'm house ruling it your way, but it would be nice if there was an official FFG position on the issue.

Thanks for responding.

If you want an official ruling, you have to send them a question.

In the top bar here, click More - > Customer Service -> Rules Question and send them the question. They usually reply quite quickly.