Heavy Walkers and Orientation

By Kaptain Blipto, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I was looking at the heavy walkers before I purchase one. I am a bit confused and please excuse my ignorance but here goes. Enemy has a "Fireball" in play and you move a medium walker into his line of sight but its in the Fireball's back side. Can the Fireball spin on its axis/orientation to engage the medium walker in an attempt for reactive fire? If the Fireball forgoes reactive fire, does the Fireball then need to change its orientation in its activation/movement to "face" the medium walker? I ask this because it looks as though the Fireball has a limited arc of fire as its weapons are mounted in a trunion to the major chasis of the walker. The FAQ 1.7 says a vehicle that takes up TWO spaces must spend a move action to change orientation. I understand that the heavy walkers take up FOUR spaces..but I am wondering if these heavy walkers are treated in the same manner. There also seems to be a difference in the "build" of the heavy walkers as the Allies use the chasis as a mount for the main weapons where as the Axis has a base with a possible turnable body on theirs. Please also pardon the wall of text as somehow the forums will not let me form paragraphs here today.

Heavy walkers (those taking 4 squares) have no orientation.

Unfortunately there is no limited arc of fire in Dust Tactics, every model can fire through 360' regardless of facing. Heavies can also fire from, and be shot at, any of its 2 or 4 squares it takes up. I suppose it keeps things simplified, but its not exactly brain surgery to see which way a model is facing.

There is no model orientation in Dust, and I wouldn't say that's unfortunate. It's not very realistic, but it sure helps keep the game rolling along swiftly.

Many thanks all for the responses. I was wondering as I didn't want to invest in walkers that were limited. Now that I know they are not..I can feel better about buying them and trying them out in battles.

Well, they are limited in that they occupy 4 squares, and that severely limits their maneuverability in most maps, to the point that they're competely useless in more cluttered setups.

Yes, they are almost useless on any tight or cluttered map….but it's still fun to watch you opponent's face when one of the monsters appears on the map and the waves of concentratin that appear as they resolve how they will be attacking it….expensive..but fun

The Axis Heavy Assault Walker is worth it for the model alone if you ask me, it looks great.

The Fireball/Punisher less so, but it looks like it might actually be worth using on rare occasions. These things almost never hit the board at my place because of the afformentioned 4-square rule and the resulting cramped quarters making them hard to justify the cost.