Of talisman's and the Valley of Fire / Crown of Command

By hprwhg, in Talisman Rules Questions

Since, you cannot enter the Valley of Fire without a talisman. What happens if you are in the Valley of Fire and someone steal/shatters/toad your talisman away do you have to leave the Valley immediately or on next movement? And which way do you have to go? into the Crown or back into werewolf / pitfiend squares?

Also, while in the Crown of Command and you're truned into toad by random spell and poor or no fate are you stuck inside the Crown because you cant move into the Valley and thus conversely lose three turns and how would you pick your talisman back up with out leaving and coming back into the Crown? Meaning you would be ending that characters game because he is stuck.

hprwhg said:

Q: Do you still need a Talisman once you are on the Valley of Fire?

A: No. You do not need a Talisman once you are on the Valley of Fire or the Crown of Command.

Q: If you are turned into a Toad while you are on the Crown of Command, can you describe what exactly happens to your character in this situation?

A: 1) Follow the instructions for being turned into a Toad, 2) For your next 3 turns you may not move (a character does not move but remains on the Crown of Command) and you may not cast the Command Spell (Toads cannot cast Spells) and 3) On the turn after you revert to your original character, you may pick up any items that you were forced to drop when you were turned into a Toad and then cast the Command Spell, unless there is another character on the Crown (you must encounter them instead) or one of your Followers has reverted to being an Enemy, in which case you must first defeat or evade the Enemy before picking up your items and casting the Command Spell. If unsuccessful, you may not pick up your items or cast the Command Spell.

Ell.

talismanamsilat said:

hprwhg said:

Q: Do you still need a Talisman once you are on the Valley of Fire?

A: No. You do not need a Talisman once you are on the Valley of Fire or the Crown of Command.

Q: If you are turned into a Toad while you are on the Crown of Command, can you describe what exactly happens to your character in this situation?

A: 1) Follow the instructions for being turned into a Toad, 2) For your next 3 turns you may not move (a character does not move but remains on the Crown of Command) and you may not cast the Command Spell (Toads cannot cast Spells) and 3) On the turn after you revert to your original character, you may pick up any items that you were forced to drop when you were turned into a Toad and then cast the Command Spell, unless there is another character on the Crown (you must encounter them instead) or one of your Followers has reverted to being an Enemy, in which case you must first defeat or evade the Enemy before picking up your items and casting the Command Spell. If unsuccessful, you may not pick up your items or cast the Command Spell.

Ell.

So you may pick up items at the crown, if you stand there already. But you don't land there...

Because you may pick up items there, does this also mean that the land on ability from characters is still active each turn while they are encountering other players on the crown?

Are these official answers that you give.

They are so many questions, and if you can answer them all, then nobody has to wait for a Faq. I am still waiting for the Faq right now..

I wonder when it will release..

Jon and myself compiled the faq for the original 4th edition of Talisman by Black Industries. We are compiling another faq right now which we will send to John Goodenough to appraise before FFG gets one posted up on the site. This is why we wanted your continued questions!

Ell.

Ps. Yes the Merchant and the Thief can use their abilities at the Crown!

It is interesting to see that even after playing talisman for 20 years on and off with different versions that a definitive answer can be given for toad and crown. You seem to not agree with talismanamsilt. velhart. It does say that you cannot move once in the crown of command and thus you're not moving how can you pick up what you didnt land on. Or move back into the Valley without a talisman in hand because you had to drop it once you were toad. But since you dont need the talisman to cast command spells. I guess you just keep casting the command spell and hope that no one comes up and steal your stuff and become ultimatly strong thus defeting you readily because you cant leave the crown to enter the valley and come back in to crown to get your stuff back. I wish the rules stated this specifically. For now I will relay this info from talismanamsit unto my gaming buddies and deteremine wether we will except that you can just pick up your stuff once reverted back to normal with out moving. Though it does seem weird to pick things up without moving onto them

hprwhg said:

It is interesting to see that even after playing talisman for 20 years on and off with different versions that a definitive answer can be given for toad and crown. You seem to not agree with talismanamsilt. velhart. It does say that you cannot move once in the crown of command and thus you're not moving how can you pick up what you didnt land on. Or move back into the Valley without a talisman in hand because you had to drop it once you were toad. But since you dont need the talisman to cast command spells. I guess you just keep casting the command spell and hope that no one comes up and steal your stuff and become ultimatly strong thus defeting you readily because you cant leave the crown to enter the valley and come back in to crown to get your stuff back. I wish the rules stated this specifically. For now I will relay this info from talismanamsit unto my gaming buddies and deteremine wether we will except that you can just pick up your stuff once reverted back to normal with out moving. Though it does seem weird to pick things up without moving onto them

Wait a minute,

I never said that i don't agree with Talismansilat, and i also never said something about moving back without a talisman..

Maybe that you have not heard it yet, but in a old faq states that you can pick up items on the crown.

That's why i am asking Talismansilat gui%C3%B1o.gif

By old faq, do you mean the BI one or even earlier one? BI version also clarified that you can leave the Crown, even though those rules said the same as the FFG ones that you don't move once getting to the Crown. Interestingly, the FFG rules also mention leaving the Crown. Though that might fall under the can vs cannot clause, don't know.

Dam said:

By old faq, do you mean the BI one or even earlier one? BI version also clarified that you can leave the Crown, even though those rules said the same as the FFG ones that you don't move once getting to the Crown. Interestingly, the FFG rules also mention leaving the Crown. Though that might fall under the can vs cannot clause, don't know.

Hi Dam

Well, someone told me about that, when we where discussing about the crown. That's why i know this information. But i know nothing more about it actually sonrojado.gif

But it seems that Talismansilat has the answers now.

The questions must be somewhere on this forum..

-----------

Hi Talismansilat,

Why can you pick up items and do the command spell in a single turn?

Are not that too much choices in a single turn.

I was thinking about, that you can choose to pick up items, or do the command spell, but if you said that you can do both in a single turn, then we must accept that...

Sorry Velhart, your line "So you may pick up items at the crown, if you stand there already. But you don't land there..." sounded like a disbelief statment to me. Good to know the answer than. thank you

So where in the rulebook of any version of talisman does it state this ruling or has it just been debated and hashed over that this has become the answer?

This point of issue in the rules was discussed by John Goodenough, Jon New and myself, with John Goodenough (the game designer) deciding the final outcome which will be included in the FAQ.

Ell.

hprwhg said:

Sorry Velhart, your line "So you may pick up items at the crown, if you stand there already. But you don't land there..." sounded like a disbelief statment to me. Good to know the answer than. thank you

Maybe i must explain about this.

Normally you can't pick up items on the crown because you can do that only after moving your character.

But they have made a old faq or something, so that it is possible that you can pick up items, even if you don't land there.

Because of this, many problems come along. as a example: you can only land on a space and encounter a character.

Because you stand all the time on the same space and fighting each other, then it seems that you land on he space even if you don't move.

That's why we have this debate.

--------------

But now has it come to a end, and Talismansilat, Jon and John goodenough have discussed this problem as talismansilat says.

The end gran_risa.gif

thank you for to all. it will definitly end the debate in our gaming group.

Velhart said:

Normally you can't pick up items on the crown because you can do that only after moving your character.

But they have made a old faq or something, so that it is possible that you can pick up items, even if you don't land there.

Because of this, many problems come along. as a example: you can only land on a space and encounter a character.

Because you stand all the time on the same space and fighting each other, then it seems that you land on he space even if you don't move.

That's why we have this debate.

--------------

But now has it come to a end, and Talismansilat, Jon and John goodenough have discussed this problem as talismansilat says.

The end gran_risa.gif

I hope the FAQ will consider the situation with three (or more) Characters on the Crown . With two players it is obvious that the slain Character loses all his stuff and the other will pick up everything he likes in his next turn, when he actually "re-lands" on the Crown. With 3+ players you can't solve it this way. If a Character is killed by another one, this ruling allows the OTHER remaining Character to pick up the goods. This is quite unfair.

I would say that Characters on the Crown can't pick up objects at all. It's the only good solution. You may say that a Character on the Crown must drop/ditch Objects on the Valley of Fire space. If you want your stuff back or you want to loot the corpse of another, you have to leave the Crown. With another player there, you're exposed to one Command Spell and must give up an attack to get to the Valley of Fire.

This happened in my last game. For now we decided that the killed Character and his equipment are somehow "disintegrated", in order to avoid Object-related arguments between the two remaining Characters on the Crown.

Here is the deal. The slain characters items are not placed on the Crown of Command. The character who defeated him may automatically take the items. Any items he doesn't want or cannot take are then placed on the Crown (see page 12 in the rulebook, " 5. Claim Reward " sub-heading). Any items placed on the Crown cannot then be taken by any of the characters there (see page 9 in the rulebook, "Encountering Another Character" sub-heading, second paragraph). A character who is alone on the Crown may take any items left there.

Ell.

talismanamsilat said:

Here is the deal. The slain characters items are not placed on the Crown of Command. The character who defeated him may automatically take the items. Any items he doesn't want or cannot take are then placed on the Crown (see page 12 in the rulebook, " 5. Claim Reward " sub-heading). Any items placed on the Crown cannot then be taken by any of the characters there (see page 9 in the rulebook, "Encountering Another Character" sub-heading, second paragraph). A character who is alone on the Crown may take any items left there.

Ell.

Good. I like the idea that Characters cannot take the Objects on the Crown space if there's someone else there. However I'd rather see a defeated Character drop all of his Objects on the Crown Space, while the other players are still fighting. If you can't take the Objects on the space you shouldn't be able to loot a corpse, should you? The last Character standing may take the dropped cards as normal. I think this way the rule is easier to apply and also more realistic.

There will be no purpose for a third, usually weaker, Character to reach the Crown, only for being the target of others that want to gain some extra stuff.

The_Warlock said:

talismanamsilat said:

Ell.

Good. I like the idea that Characters cannot take the Objects on the Crown space if there's someone else there. However I'd rather see a defeated Character drop all of his Objects on the Crown Space, while the other players are still fighting. If you can't take the Objects on the space you shouldn't be able to loot a corpse, should you? The last Character standing may take the dropped cards as normal. I think this way the rule is easier to apply and also more realistic.

There will be no purpose for a third, usually weaker, Character to reach the Crown, only for being the target of others that want to gain some extra stuff.

Warlock:

But then you changed the rule in the rulebook about what you can do if you kill a character. ( You can always changed it yourself, if you don't like it.

let's keep it this way as Talismansilat says, and if the winning character can't hold all those objects, then he must ditch it, and then the other player will have his turn to fight him gui%C3%B1o.gif

Let the battle begin gran_risa.gif

Rulebook, page 20, The Crown of Command: Characters on the Crown of Command cannot turn back.

Rimmer said:

Rulebook, page 20, The Crown of Command: Characters on the Crown of Command cannot turn back.

Of course, same p. 20 also says this:

"Note that this rule stays in effect for the rest of the game, even if a character
leaves the Crown of Command."

True that "can vs cannot" may be applied here, but the BI edition also (IIRC) had similar wording and that got FAQ'd to say that you can leave the Crown.

Is that sure?

And when will FAQ come out and in what form?

Rimmer said:

Is that sure?

And when will FAQ come out and in what form?

The quote is sure gui%C3%B1o.gif , interpretation(s) to it are not. FAQ I mention was for the BI 4th edition, no such thing yet for the FFG one. The leave part I quoted could be bad wording, throwback to earlier editions, or what. We shall see.

What do creators here on the forum say about turning back from the Crown of Command? Except of: "Shh. Don't ask that." :)

The rules are correct. You cannot voluntarily turn back from the Crown. However, in future expansions a different ending(s) may force you to leave the Crown, so therefore the other rule would come into effect.

Ell.

Thank you for the answer.

The Transference Spell can remove you from the Crown of Command & be replaced by another Character in the lnner Region. This is from John Goodenough himself.