FFG's own VASSAL Server

By kmedlinnc, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

I'd love to see FFG own their own VASSAL server just for their games. That way they'd be able to control access to it, the games for it, and further facilitate online play of their great games without having to get over-involved with flakey console developers.

Protecting their IP is really important with such a great stable of fun games so I don't see how they can continue to support Rodney's VASSAL server without running into digital piracy problems... I just think there'd be a lot of room for FFG to both grow their user base and support more remote gamers who plunk down the cash for their games.

Imagine some of the fun possibilities:

1. A Tide of Iron Ladder System
  2. Arkham Horror Events featuring online only cards
  3. Tanhauser tourneys for prizes

Those are just a few of the ways a VASSAL server that was owned, run and protected by FFG could provide. Talk about building community!!!

I'd love to see this too, but I'd even settle for them just giving permission (even with conditions) for the publishing of modules for their games. My brother and I have been dying to play more Arkham Horror, Descent, and others, but thus far there have been mixed results when trying to get permission from FFG.

Personally I think Descent, Battlelore, and a few other games would make excellent additions to XBox Live Arcade, as well, but I don't know how much community support there would be out there for it.

My understanding of FFG's policy was:

1. Text essential to playing the game that's included on components may not be represented.
  2. Reproducing play aids, etc. in lieu of game aid text is also unsuitable.

So for AH, you could have the board, but the locations with special text would need the text blurred. Likewise, descriptions for Mythos cards, etc. would need to be blurred.

I don't think AH is a great candidate because of how text heavy the components are in that game. Removing that text, and the sheer volume of components required to play, would mean that folks would constantly be digging through huge decks of cards looking for the appropriate game text.

Something like Tide of Iron, however, would be more possible given the relatively low text requirement for game.