base game + which expansions?

By ISDSharpe, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

I have all of the expansions and have yet to play 'the full Monty' with all the rules....has anyone done this, and do you have any tips for a great game?

Cheers!

Ian

Whoa -- Well, you definitely want to get the base game played a few times first! Then add the expansions in the order released. IIRC, The original game had all (or some) of the expansions as part of the original design. Have fun!

Cheers - shall do.

We played LOTR yesterday using F&F and Battlefields and came to the conclusion that the game is completely unwinnable now. Really, we just couldn't see how it was possible to triumph without an extreme amount of luck. We DID see how you might win with the alternate method, but I really don't like that and it's one reason I just don't care much for the F&F expansion.

I've never had a chance to play the 'Battlefields' expansion, but I really enjoy 'Friends and Foes'. The 'Sauron' expansion I don't really care for since it changes the player dynamics and really makes an already challenging game much too difficult if the Sauron player is even half aquainted with how the game works.

I generally omit the 'kill all foes victory' from 'F&F', though. I found that that condition was being met in every game well before reaching Mordor.

AMBusam said:

I've never had a chance to play the 'Battlefields' expansion, but I really enjoy 'Friends and Foes'. The 'Sauron' expansion I don't really care for since it changes the player dynamics and really makes an already challenging game much too difficult if the Sauron player is even half aquainted with how the game works.

I generally omit the 'kill all foes victory' from 'F&F', though. I found that that condition was being met in every game well before reaching Mordor.

We dusted this off the other day and got a kill all foes victory on the Isengard board with only 2 hobbits playing. We're going to try next with the special rules for recycling foes.

Have only played once with Sauron, and only really half played because of all the new rules - no opinion as of yet.

Battlefields does make the game much harder, but you also get a lot more resources to deal with the challenges.

Can't wait to see how all four sets (main +3 exp'ns) will work together.

AMBusam said:

We dusted this off the other day and got a kill all foes victory on the Isengard board with only 2 hobbits playing. We're going to try next with the special rules for recycling foes.

Have only played once with Sauron, and only really half played because of all the new rules - no opinion as of yet.

Battlefields does make the game much harder, but you also get a lot more resources to deal with the challenges.

Can't wait to see how all four sets (main +3 exp'ns) will work together.

My group routinely won with just the base game, and won almost everytime with the Friends and Foes expansion, even getting a military victory after recycling foes, but with the Sauron and F&F expansions, Sauron won everytime, and so we got tired of playing it. I purchased Battlefields when it came out, but nobody is interested in playing anymore.