Star Destroyer tabletop, done in MDF. Detailed in cardboard + other stuff. (WiP)

By DarkFather, in X-Wing

Very Nice! Love it

Outstanding craftsman ship!

It's the Avenger With Captain Needa at the helm

Great model, you will need a larger play-mat ;)

Bravo!

Since elevation is abstracted in this game, I wouldn't think it would be a problem to simply move the full distance or shoot down off a higher plane (or vice versa)

I have to smile when I see that a few people have put their ships on very tall rod'; "They understand how this game works."

Can you clarify that? I've thought of putting an A-Wing on 3 rods. Any issue when measuring base to base?

Bravo!

Since elevation is abstracted in this game, I wouldn't think it would be a problem to simply move the full distance or shoot down off a higher plane (or vice versa)

I have to smile when I see that a few people have put their ships on very tall rod'; "They understand how this game works."

Can you clarify that? I've thought of putting an A-Wing on 3 rods. Any issue when measuring base to base?

None at all... The reason you put them on tall stands is to avoid the Falcon... who hangs over it's base hugely.

Ah ha!

Hi all;

I know there are a few forum users that have been keeping up with my extremely slow progress with my Avenger 'play mat' ;) . Well, this is just a quick message to let people know that more work has in fact been done. The sides of the 'neck' are now detailed as are ALL the deck walls. My next plan of attack over the coming week will be the 'spine' of the 'neck' and then plating the sides, underneath, and top of the Bridge. Then detailing of the top and 'face' of the Bridge will be started. My realistic plan is to have the beast finished and painted, and at my LGS within the next 2-3 weeks. (It has to be done, the area it currently resides in has to be used to house my sons wedding cake (which my wife is making), so I have no choice... SD out Wedding Cake in - 2-3 week time limit. So keep checking, there will be pics, many pics, as the work gets done.

*Apologies for no pics in this post - the SD has been put to bed for the night - and pics in my office don't come out too well (bad lighting).*

Cheers

Pretty epic stuff being shown here, looking forward to the update.

This is one of the greatest works of man! You are insane.

Looks good, I do have one suggestion though, before you paint it, seal any exposed MDF with some PVA glue. this will help reduce any warping due to moisture being absorbed by the MDF. It will also help your with needing less paint, as MDF will suck in some of the paint, meaning you'd need more coats.

I might add that you'll probably want to add a wash to it when you're done.

Your project impressed me enough to register! This is my first post here. Just wanted to throw a MAJOR kudos at ya for that awesome SD!!

I was thinking just the other day, how big a SD would be if FFG ever decided to release a super miniature. You pretty much answered my question here.

Thats the only thing about XWing that bums me out, the fact well be restricted to small ship battles, due to scale. How fun would it be to play a game that reenacts some of Star Wars more bigger battles!

Awesome, awesome SD. Can't wait to see more pics.

Your project impressed me enough to register! This is my first post here. Just wanted to throw a MAJOR kudos at ya for that awesome SD!!

I was thinking just the other day, how big a SD would be if FFG ever decided to release a super miniature. You pretty much answered my question here.

Thats the only thing about XWing that bums me out, the fact well be restricted to small ship battles, due to scale. How fun would it be to play a game that reenacts some of Star Wars more bigger battles!

Awesome, awesome SD. Can't wait to see more pics.

I second that – awesome ISD play mat that even though not quite to scale is relatively big enough not to make a difference. Great work. Can you imagine, if they did release a line of models this big, you'd need a gymnasium size area to fight the battle in. That would be something to see. I know Wizkids demoed there Attack Wing game using 1/1000 scale ships so its not totally improbable.

I love building props, pep builds, 501st gear and models but what you have done here is really inspiring me. Can you share the origin of the cardboard plans?

I would love to try and build one as well. You have set the bar high!

Gracias!

Gracias!

Your more than welcome. I hope you have as much fun doing it as I have, and I also hope it takes you alot less time. ;)

Cheers

Amazing.build! This is so over the top.

Hey guys... Real quick post. The missus and I just got another 3hrs work in on the SD. I have pics incoming, but first I have to take wife to work. 18 photo's will be posted soon, in the coming hour, hopefully.

I'll take pics in 'fly-by' fashion. First up the right hand side (left as you look at it from the nose), then the other side. Possibly with a few random area pics amongst them.

The beast as it stands at this point in time. Obviously the face of the 'bridge' is yet to be done, as are the top of the bridge, and the top and spine of the neck. Everything else is as done as it's going to get - bar paint.

StarDestroyer24_zps0f8aae75.jpg

Cheers

Edited by DarkFather

Let's start the fly-by shall we....

Right hand side of the nose cone:

StarDestroyer25_zps13766557.jpg

Mid section of the nose cone:

StarDestroyer26_zps5e4baa39.jpg

Lower Decks:

StarDestroyer27_zps4e506355.jpg

Front half of the main decks:

StarDestroyer28_zpsf70869d8.jpg

Final section of the main decks and sneak peak of the 'neck' detailing. Note the underside of the 'bridge' is also fully plated/detailed:

StarDestroyer29_zps6c9a73a7.jpg

What I consider to be the standout part of all the detailing so far. The Right side of the 'neck':

StarDestroyer30_zps5639847d.jpg

Critiques/Criticisms/Comments... ALL Welcome.

Cheers

Quick flyby over the main deck, across the face of the bridge... shall we? ;)

Neck front detailing:

StarDestroyer31_zps4ef9aae5.jpg

Neck Front - closeup:

StarDestroyer32_zps587a1656.jpg

Once again - C/C/C - ALL Welcome.

Cheers

Back to the nose, for the Left Hand side flyby...

Nose Cone:

StarDestroyer33_zpsbbe61078.jpg

Mid section of nose cone:

StarDestroyer34_zps065ff7b5.jpg

Lower decks:

StarDestroyer35_zps0e337ca6.jpg

Main decks:

StarDestroyer36_zps3459dc60.jpg

Rear half of main decks with sneak peek of Neck side:

StarDestroyer37_zpse147d772.jpg

Left Hand side of the Neck. More (IMHumbleO) drool-worthy detailing:

StarDestroyer38_zpsa7dc5de3.jpg

And again... C/C/C - ALL Welcome.

Cheers

And finally - the unfinished areas...

Rear and top of the Neck and the Bridge:

StarDestroyer39_zpsf48b041f.jpg

Rear of Deck walls, showing they are actually done... (They looked blank in the other pics):

StarDestroyer40_zps4e79ef3d.jpg

Rear and top of the Bridge. Already have plans and bits to get started on these locations, and obv. the Shield gens (?) (Ball things/ears) and the center 'piece' need to be detailed/painted/then actually attached:

StarDestroyer41_zpsf522160e.jpg

And for the last time... Critiques/Criticisms/Comments - ALL welcome, as always.

I hope this serves for either inspiration (or fits of uncontrollable laughter) for others. I'd love to see other people have a go at doing such a thing. Especially those with better skillz (wouldn't be hard), and access to proper bits.

Cheers (until next time)

Love it... I will wait for the pics once is finished and off course pics of the first battle report on that "thing"

Congrats, really cool.