Threat Card Rule Check?

By shaggy2000, in Relic

The other night I was playing Relic and I landed on the tile that has three threat symbols of different colours (the one next to the portal something or other) I drew my red, yellow & blue cards, two of which were the cards that tell your to draw more cards (one was telling me to draw one blue card and the other was telling me to draw one red, blue & yellow cards) I lost the first fight and left that tile on my next go.

Later in the game I managed to get back to the tile and this is where the question comes from, should I have drawn four more cards or not?

To give a bit more information there were seven cards on the tile already, and normally I wouldnt have to draw any new cards because their was alreay one red, one blue and one yellow threat card on the tile. However my friend pointed out that the cards that tell your to draw cards are still their, and all they say is that "on the exploration phase, draw one red, one yellow and one blue card"

I drew the four extr cards and with the luck of those awesome exploding sixes (gotta love exploding dice) I managed to win all three battles but also level up five times!

So, should I have drawn the four new cards or not?

I would think that the rule of drawing cards until the threat count is matched would work here. That way you would not have more threat cards than threat icons at any time.

shaggy2000 said:

However my friend pointed out that the cards that tell your to draw cards are still their, and all they say is that "on the exploration phase, draw one red, one yellow and one blue card"

Speaking as your friend it is nice to see you passing the buck on that particular interpretation of the rule. It's not like you weren't the only person to not die during that game, oh wait you were and you were the victor that day as I recall.

Jyxaw said:

I would think that the rule of drawing cards until the threat count is matched would work here. That way you would not have more threat cards than threat icons at any time.

Two things from the rules that slightly disagree with your thoughts -

Page 9

Certain player or card abilities can cause a space to
contain more Threat cards than threat icons. These cards
remain in that space until resolved by a player or affected
by another ability.

and also Page 9

Some Threat cards contain threat icons. These cards add
their threat icons to the space they are on during each
Exploration phase. These icons have no effect during
other phases of the game.
My friend and I had a similar thing in a previous game where three yellow threat cards were on a space with two blue threat icons. Follow the rules and you have two draw two blue threats bringing the total to 5 threats on the one space. Shaggy2000 managed to just beat me on that game too.

The cards with threat symbols do not tell you to draw more cards, and I think this is where your confusion stems. Instead they tell you to add their threat symbol to the space (which in turn typically means you draw more cards).

So let's break it down into an example. If you land on a single red threat icon space and draw a card that has the red threat icon you then have 2 red threat icons on that space with 1 red threat card. Since 1 < 2 you draw 1 more red threat card. If you where to loose the fight and someone later landed on that space you now have a space with 2 red threat icons (one on the space and one on one of the threat cards) with 2 red threat cards, since 2=2 you do not draw any more threat cards.

Dark Bunny Lord said:

The cards with threat symbols do not tell you to draw more cards, and I think this is where your confusion stems. Instead they tell you to add their threat symbol to the space (which in turn typically means you draw more cards).

So let's break it down into an example. If you land on a single red threat icon space and draw a card that has the red threat icon you then have 2 red threat icons on that space with 1 red threat card. Since 1 < 2 you draw 1 more red threat card. If you where to loose the fight and someone later landed on that space you now have a space with 2 red threat icons (one on the space and one on one of the threat cards) with 2 red threat cards, since 2=2 you do not draw any more threat cards.

Dark Bunny Lord is correct!

TK