Clothes and armors wear

By khaali, in WFRP House Rules

Here are some thoughts on creating rules for armors and clothes wear.

First, I must say do like the card system of WFRP3 but when I openened the box for the first time I was very disappointed not to find armor and weapon cards.

Clothes and armor cards are very convenient to track the looks and combat readyness of the character. A PC might own a normal set of clothes, an expensive set for social events and a leather armor. He's relaxing in a big town tavern, what is he currently wearing? What are the special rules applicable (the expensive set might give him 1 fortune dice when with nobles but will get ruined if someone spills his beer or if a fight starts).

Cards are especially convenient because a PC will have a card for each set of clothes / armor and will have to put in front of him wich one he is currently wearing, where the GM and the other player will see it and react accordingly.

The next step is to track the effect of wear. I propose each set to have 3 states: New, worn, wasted. The cards have a wear tracker, with state levels depending of the material. Each time you are hit in combat, you advance the tracker one step; a relevant situation might also move the tracker one or more step (sewers, fire, chaos star). When you reach a wear level, the bonuses changes. For exemple:

• Expensive clothes: New (0-2), worn (3-6), wasted.

New: protection 0/1, +1 fortune dice for Fellowship when relevant

Worn : protection 0/1

Wasted : protection 0/0, +1 misfortune dice for Fellowship when relevant

• travel clothes: New (0-4), worn (5-10), wasted.

New: protection 0/1, +1 fortune dice when facing climatic conditions during travels

Wasted : protection 0/0, +1 misfortune dice when facing climatic conditions during travels and for Fellowship when relevant

• Leather Armor: New (0-4), worn (5-8), wasted

New: protection 0/2

Wasted : protection 0/0, +1 misfortune dice for Fellowship when relevant (intimidate…)

• Chain mail : New (0-5), worn (6-10), wasted

New: protection 0/3

Worn : protection 0/2

Wasted : protection 0/1, +1 misfortune dice for Fellowship when relevant (intimidate…)

Clothes and armor can be repaired. The cost, time and skill depend of the type:

Travel clothes are easy to patch, but a set of expensive clothes, when worn, can never be made 'new' again(patches don't look good at the emperor court). A metal armor can only be mended in a forge, and it takes time and an advanced skill (forge).

What do you think?

Interesting idea. You could simplify it with simply adding "damaged" to your chaos star effects. A good example might be: Wear nice clothes into a swamp and crawling around in a sewer, well that's automatic, but the occasional torn shirt during combat is pretty likely too.

Combat can get a bit tricky b/c it can be a lot of accounting to have to deal with it. I think it might be easy to just do CRITICAL permanently removes one SOAK or DEFENSE point. If they want it repaired, then the cost is according. I've used this rule i the past in my Conan games. It worked out about righ tas most people were shirtless barbarians anyways!

jh

Actually someone did create a bunch of gear cards including for armour and clothes, robes etc. I snagged and downloaded file but not sure who or where they are located online.

Get strange eons freeware and you can do that same of course.

I think the nice set of superior clothes (x10 cost, bonus social), does have a "won't last in combat" or something on them (my affluent noble PC's player got that as part of the starting package and has not risked wearing them yet).

Perhaps inspired by the Arkharm Horror item card that is nice clothes but gets toasted in combat.

valvorik said:

Actually someone did create a bunch of gear cards including for armour and clothes, robes etc. I snagged and downloaded file but not sure who or where they are located online.

Sturm vas his name. Now he hangs in the Star Wars EotE forums.

Emirikol said:

Interesting idea. You could simplify it with simply adding "damaged" to your chaos star effects.

I've thought about it but I discarded the idea since the chaos star is on your dice roll; damaging the armor not when the ennemy hit you but when you hit the ennemy would be very illogical.

Emirikol said:

Combat can get a bit tricky b/c it can be a lot of accounting to have to deal with it.

I also think the mecanism should be light, but you can't do much lighter than pushing up a tracking token 1 step each time you get it.

valvorik said:

Get strange eons freeware and you can do that same of course.

Yes, I did download them. I intend to do strange eons cards after discussing the mecanics here.

I got interested of possible social impact of cloths and armor - haven't used it for fortune/misfortune earlier but definitely will.

khaali said:

Emirikol said:

Interesting idea. You could simplify it with simply adding "damaged" to your chaos star effects.

I've thought about it but I discarded the idea since the chaos star is on your dice roll; damaging the armor not when the ennemy hit you but when you hit the ennemy would be very illogical.

Well, you could add it to your Sigmar's Comet or universal Double Boon effects. PCs probably wouldn't choose to invoke them very often, but the GM certainly could.

Or, you could make it a consequence of getting a critical injury. If you take a crit, the clothing or armour of any associated body part is damaged.

Personally, if I were to use something like this, I'd want it to be simple, universal, and require a minimum of tracking or table space. So, I'd have a single "damaged clothing" status, which I'd probably print on some sort of Condition card kind of thing, and could just hand to the player whenever it happened. I'd make it a binary state, so I don't care how much damaged the clothing is, just whether or not it's been damaged at all. Your clothes are in tatters, have yourself a "-1 soak, and a black die on Fellowship checks" card.

I'd figure out some basic repair costs based on social tier and cloth vs metal, and probably let PCs make Simple (1d) Tradecraft rolls to fix it themselves.