Darkness/Blindness

By valvorik, in WFRP House Rules

This has likely been hashed out before. Courtesy of this tool:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/167876/wfrp%20pix/WFRP3%20Full%20html%20Dice%20Roller%20All%20Probability%20Included/WFRP3%20Online%20Dice%20Roller%20All%20Probability%20Included/diceprob/diceprob.html

I've been playing around with that the Gathering Storm 4 black total darkness means vs the 1 Challenge die "blinded condition".

In my game I have always realized that 4 black is tougher in terms of success and been clear that "blinded" means more "sight impaired as by a sudden flash".

However, one thing I dislike about leaving it at that is that the 4 black total darkness does not increase chaos star odds and bumbling about in total darkness should absolutely increase chaos star odds!

So I think the solution is that total darkness is 2 black and 1 Challenge die added.

Taking sample character (I've used more than one and think it works out but here only one given)

An Attack with 5 stat, say Reckless, Trained vs 1 Challenge & 1 Def armour

This usually produces 16% miss, 43% triple success, 13% star

With 2 Black poor light: 27% miss, 31% triple success, 13 % star

With 3 Black very poor light: 35% miss, 25% triple success, 13 % star

With 4 Black "total darkness": 42% miss, 21% triple success, 13 % star

With 1 Challenge blinded: 30% miss, 30% triple success, 23 % star (meaning about the same as poor light 2 black in success just more stars)

Now if 2 Black, 1 Challenge: 43% miss, 20% triple success, 23 % star. That makes the success rates about the same as 4 black but increases the chaos star frequency. It keeps a worsening progression from 3 black for very poor light.

So I propose to keep the 1/2/3 black for worsening light but at no light make it 2 black and a challenge die.

Note, total darkness makes targeting a ranged attack questionable period.

I would keep 4 black for attacking someone/something invisible where you have "general idea of where they are".

Thoughts?

Rob

It is similar to what we do. Simpler, which it may mean better :P

I had exactly your same thought: How can total darkness not add the chance for more Chaos Stars?

I use two challenge dice for total darkness /totally blind.

If you are interested to contrast it, you can find a more detailed description of how we handlle lack of light in our games in my house rules.

Cheers,

Yepes

What would that mean for races with dark vision. They lose 2 blacks dont they, so for total darkness they have just the challenge die (dice?)?

Yepesnopes said:

It is similar to what we do. Simpler, which it may mean better :P

I had exactly your same thought: How can total darkness not add the chance for more Chaos Stars?

I use two challenge dice for total darkness /totally blind.

If you are interested to contrast it, you can find a more detailed description of how we handlle lack of light in our games in my house rules.

Cheers,

Yepes

Actually adding 2 challenge works out similar, 45% miss, 20% triple, but 33% at least one star (using the same stats).

Though keeping the black dice does, per the other question, allow removing two of them for the night vision types. You're an elf but it's still pitch black. I'm not sure whether the rules/fluff clarify if the elf and dwarf races have "really good low light vision" (which is actually no better than human in true pitch black) or "some sort of other benefit" (that old D&D infravision).

I like it. I'll try it out on my players next session.

One purple + 2 black instead of just 4 black.

jh

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0tQfYq6AduIGqqUBji6j