What's your move? (A what-if scenario)

By Budgernaut, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

This is just a fun little exercise in strategy. I don't think there's one right answer to this situation, but I'm really looking forward to hearing how people would deal with this situation and why they would make the choice they make.

You're playing Sith and have Vader out. Your opponent has Luke with Old Ben's Spirit attached. After he draws, you play Interrogation. In his hand you find Yoda, another Old Ben's Spirit, Lightsaber Deflection, Twi'Lek Loyalist, Dagobah Training Grounds, and Twist of Fate. You will kill Luke with Vader's Reaction after you finish resolving Interrogation.

Which of those cards would you remove with Interrogation?

There's not enough information, to be honest. It also depends on what I have in my hand, objectives out, etc. As it stands, Luke is staying alive one way or the other (because of Old Ben and Lightsaber Deflection), so without knowing more of the board state, I would discard Yoda because I wouldn't want super Yoda to get started.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the solution most likely to benefit you is to discard Old Ben's Spirit and choose to use Darth Vader's Reaction even knowing it's likely to be countered with Lightsaber Deflection.

Right now, the pair of Yoda and Old Ben's Spirit are the most threatening cards in your opponent's hand, you cannot allow them to keep both. By discarding Ben, you also greatly limit Yoda's effectiveness as an attacker, but if you discard Yoda, your opponent can just put the spirit on Luke to make him even harder to deal with.

See, I disagree with that just because you're also giving the opponent a Twist of Fate and a Yoda to win an edge battle against you, if they were to go that route. But then again, I don't feel like there's enough information to actually make a decision.

If I have one or more force choke or a force lightning in my hand then I take Old Ben's Spirit.

I don't see a scenario where I take twist, the twi lek, or dagobah TG. In order to take deflection I would need vader at 2 or 3 damage and if I lost vader it would be crippling. I'm looking at old Ben or Yoda and even then it comes down to objectives. If they have a message from beyond I feel like Yoda is the pick, if there is no MFB in play then I think the pick is old Ben's spirit and hope they dont draw anymore.

Is Vader our only unit and is he damaged or not? What kind of cards are in our hand, do we have a twist of our own?

Well, if I do another one of these, I'll lay out the whole board. I was originally just going to say they have Yoda and Old Ben's Spirit in their hand and everything else is irrelevant, but I got carried away with details and clouded everything with Lightsaber Deflection. Now I see that more details are really necessary. But I like what many of you have done in saying, "If X is the case, then I choose Y," etc.

As for me, I think I'd take Yoda. Luke may be hard to take down, but he's only one character. As long as Vader doesn't die, I'd initiate his reaction.

So do you think this kind of thread is fun, or pointless? I thought it would be fun to read what everyone had to say just because people have different play styles.

Kill the little green martian.

That's what I would do.

JMCB said:

See, I disagree with that just because you're also giving the opponent a Twist of Fate and a Yoda to win an edge battle against you, if they were to go that route. But then again, I don't feel like there's enough information to actually make a decision.

But that's just the thing, I know the outcome of that edge battle already, so I can adapt my tactics to knowing I lose the next edge battle…unless my opponent plays their Yoda, in which case (most likely) I can force a win in the edge.

@Budgernaut: I like threads like this, though I agree that all information in the scenario should be accounted for next time.

If there is In You Must Go AND opponent only has 3 resources, definately Dagobah or Spirit.

If there is not, Yoda or Spirit basically.

If there is AMfB, then Yoda. And I would pray I'll get an Emperor soon.

If I have Force Choke ready (and again, depending on the resources available to the opp), I will NOT discard Yoda and would prefer to dicard Deflection.

Luke as he stands is still a threat - do I have a way to deal with him? Do I have units with focuses out? Or is there only Vader? Will I be able to play Emperor to counter both of them?

Yoda with spirit is still only little more than a nuissance if you have a way to deal with him (since the rest of the cards are rather useless in Edge, expect for Deflection, which brings us back to Force Chokes).

All in all, according to the presented information, I would probably still pick Yoda - but given more context, it could be more tactical to let Yoda hit the table only to be taken care of the next turn. Then I'll prolly discard Deflection or Spirit, depending on the cards in my hand and the situation on the table.

I think I would go with Yoda in almost any situation, unless Vader is going to be damaged out by the deflection.

I dont really see how this is even debatable. Yoda 100%. He's the only thing there that can become a serious threat that you cant easily handle via the actions you should already have playing Sith. IMO if he plays Yoda/Spirit next turn the game is basically over regardless of the other stuff in his hand.

Budgernaut said:

Well, if I do another one of these, I'll lay out the whole board. I was originally just going to say they have Yoda and Old Ben's Spirit in their hand and everything else is irrelevant, but I got carried away with details and clouded everything with Lightsaber Deflection. Now I see that more details are really necessary. But I like what many of you have done in saying, "If X is the case, then I choose Y," etc.

As for me, I think I'd take Yoda. Luke may be hard to take down, but he's only one character. As long as Vader doesn't die, I'd initiate his reaction.

So do you think this kind of thread is fun, or pointless? I thought it would be fun to read what everyone had to say just because people have different play styles.

I think these are great. Remember when Magic used to do this back in… oh what was it, one of the magazines.. Scrye I think. It will help players who are just okay, or not that good, learn how to be better players. Nothing beats experience, but if you can't play often then this helps! Thanks!

There are some very important questions to ask first:

1. Do I have an Advisor or other Tactics guy out and available to defend?

2. Do I have a Twist or 2-3 good cards myself to deal with winning Edge?

3. What objectives are in play? What's the rest of the board like? What's in DS' hand?

4. What's the dial at? How many LS and DS objectives have been destroyed?

5. What's the exact DS pod list? What's the expected LS pod list?

There are good reasons to take everything from the Deflection, Yoda, Spirit and Twist. Without knowing the full board state, there just isn't a clear answer. I can think of a few very distinct scenarios where I would alter my choices drastically. Even could change distinctly dependent on how many LS mains have gone through.

Holiday, the magazine you were referring to was Duelist. I remember that because I won a box of Mirage by solving one of their scenarios. Anyways, these scenarios still exist today (those who have played the latest Magic video games know what I'm talking about). I'm glad that we're seeing these scenarios this early in the Star Wars LCG. Despite the fact that we'll be facing very similar decks this regional season (Han/Jedi and Sith Control), we're going to come across unique situations in which we'll need to solve. Otherwise it could prove to be costly throughout the game. I'm also in agreement that we'll need to see everything that is going on in the situation (i.e. where's the dial, what does our hand look like, what are our objectives, what are our oppenent's objectives, what's focused, how many damage is on what units and objectives…etc.). However, this was an interesting scenario that sparked an intelligent debate. What has the higher priority (Yoda, Lightsaber Deflection, Old Ben's Spirit or Twist of Fate)? I look forward to seeing the next scenario, which is causing me to think of some right now. I encourage others to come up with some as well. It characterizes our play styles, and offers benefits to our skills.