Should the Hortens have Hover?

By Demitra, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

After seeing the models for a while on the shelves at my FLGS, I was excited to finally find out what the new Axis fliers could do. Their rules were the first thing I turned to in Icarus. It was all more or less as expected with one notable exception: no Hover. I read through the flier rules and the Horten page where I found a couple implications in the fluff ("VTOL", "capable of near stationary flight") but nothing in the rules that says or even implies that they can Hover. There's also the model itself which has thruster nozzles on its underside. Of course fluff and models do not equal rules, but I don't think I'm stretching or leaping to unreasonable conclusions. I checked my copy of Zverograd to see if that would shed some light and found that the transport choppers had Hover while the attack choppers did not. I assume this was addressed in a FAQ so that all choppers can Hover, so now I'm hoping for the same for the Hortens. With a whole batch of regional qualifiers in my area starting next weekend I'm hoping to get this figured out by then.

No, the shortens should not have hover. They are v/STOL not VTOL.

I'd buy that for the Pelicans but the Hortens are explicitly called VTOLs.

Demitra said:

They do not have Hover, because that is kinda the SSU's thing.

Demitra said:

Which refers to Take Off & Landing, not hovering?

A VTOL aircraft is one that can hover, take off, and land vertically. The classification included fixed-wing aircraft as well as helicopters. The Harrier Family of jets uses directed jet thrust for VTOL. A harrier can hover, I have seen it. So if the Hortens are referred to in their right up as being VTOL then technically they should be able to hover. I know the rules given to them to not list Hover but I can clearly see why people would think the Hortens should have Hover.

KmdrDave said:

A VTOL aircraft is one that can hover, take off, and land vertically. The classification included fixed-wing aircraft as well as helicopters. The Harrier Family of jets uses directed jet thrust for VTOL. A harrier can hover, I have seen it. So if the Hortens are referred to in their right up as being VTOL then technically they should be able to hover. I know the rules given to them to not list Hover but I can clearly see why people would think the Hortens should have Hover.

there are questions about how long a harrier can hover for cooling and weight reasons. Pretty sure they don't hover as a combat manuever

I have done some research and the best I can find is that a harrier can hover for roughly 10 miniutes before its coolant fluid runs out and the engines overheat. While they can perform like a helicopter they lack the maneuverability, staying time and nimbleness. The VTOL capability is primarily for use in taking off and landing the aircraft.