Opening the limbo gate / Blind submission / Dr carson's treatment

By sensei yaourt, in CoC Rules Discussion

Ok, main question is about opening the limbo gate (Core set, F 116) i want to be sure i play it right :

Text read " Action : choose and put into play one character from each player's discard pile"
1) i can't play this card if there is no character in my opponent discard pile
2) i put the character from my discard pile under my control and the other one under the control of my opponent

Am i right ?

Blind submission now (Core set, F 99)

Since it allows me to take the control of a character until the end of the phase, if i play it during the opperation phase, i have to do something with it (exhaust, sacrifice, anything ...) before the story phase begins (actually before the opperation phase ends) or i just wasted a card and a domain, right ?
And when i play it during the story phase, it just allows me to remove a character from the story since "Any time a character gains control of a commited character during a story, that character is removed from the story", since there is no way for me to chose and commit it again, am i still right ?

Finaly, Dr Carson's Treatment (Core set, F 39)

What use could it possibly be to overpay for it (and so gain 2 combat icons until the end of the phase) since when a character become insane, it is removed from the story and there is still no way to commit it again after restauring, readying and boosting it ?
Cause if you use it during the opperation phase, you'll loose the combat icons before commiting to a story, and if you use it during the story phase, you won't be commited to a story anyway ...

thanks for any answer you might provide : )

Well, my rule-foo isn't strong enough to properly answer these questions with authority, but I'd like to point out one thing, at least:

You can take actions at the start of the story phase before any characters are commited. You can also take actions after only the active player has commited his characters.

Please try to look at the different post from the forum, these questions are already answered

sensei yaourt said:

Ok, main question is about opening the limbo gate (Core set, F 116) i want to be sure i play it right :

Text read " Action : choose and put into play one character from each player's discard pile"
1) i can't play this card if there is no character in my opponent discard pile
2) i put the character from my discard pile under my control and the other one under the control of my opponent

Am i right ?

You are right

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

sensei yaourt said:

Blind submission now (Core set, F 99)

Since it allows me to take the control of a character until the end of the phase, if i play it during the opperation phase, i have to do something with it (exhaust, sacrifice, anything ...) before the story phase begins (actually before the opperation phase ends) or i just wasted a card and a domain, right ?
And when i play it during the story phase, it just allows me to remove a character from the story since "Any time a character gains control of a commited character during a story, that character is removed from the story", since there is no way for me to chose and commit it again, am i still right ?

For the story phase, you can make actions before you commit characters or before your opponent commits characters and one more time before resolving the story. So you can take control of one of your opponent's readied character at the beggining of the story phase and commit it in a story for exemple. Or take control of readied character before your opponent commits it for example, or take control of a commited character and remove it from the story.

sensei yaourt said:

Finaly, Dr Carson's Treatment (Core set, F 39)

What use could it possibly be to overpay for it (and so gain 2 combat icons until the end of the phase) since when a character become insane, it is removed from the story and there is still no way to commit it again after restauring, readying and boosting it ?
Cause if you use it during the opperation phase, you'll loose the combat icons before commiting to a story, and if you use it during the story phase, you won't be commited to a story anyway ...

thanks for any answer you might provide : )

It's interressant because you can restore only one character during your refresh phase. So, for example, during the strory phase you can make the surprise to restore one or two more characters and commit them in a story. Dr Carson's Treatment is an event so you can play it during the opponent's turn and restore your characters, commit them with bonus if you have overpaid (and look at the face of your opponent who believed you couln't block his characters).

I used the serch engine but found nothing in the 2 first pages : p

Thanks for answering anyway, i had so far missed the possibility of acting before comminting chars

so if i'm now correct (thanks to rereading the rulebook and both of you)
If i'm the acting player i can :
1) I commit my chars to stories
2) as my first action play blind sumbission to remove a possible defender but i won't be able to commit it
3) defender commit his char (minus the one i took control of)

Now if i am the defending player
1) the acting player commit his char
2) as an action i play blind sumbission to take control of one of the characters he kept to activate his effect (bouncer / torch singer ...) or to remove an attacker
3) i commit char

And not i can see very clearly how usefull Dr Carson's treatment can be for defence purposes :)

sensei yaourt said:

I used the serch engine but found nothing in the 2 first pages : p

Thanks for answering anyway, i had so far missed the possibility of acting before comminting chars

so if i'm now correct (thanks to rereading the rulebook and both of you)
If i'm the acting player i can :
1) I commit my chars to stories
2) as my first action play blind sumbission to remove a possible defender but i won't be able to commit it
3) defender commit his char (minus the one i took control of)

Now if i am the defending player
1) the acting player commit his char
2) as an action i play blind sumbission to take control of one of the characters he kept to activate his effect (bouncer / torch singer ...) or to remove an attacker
3) i commit char

And not i can see very clearly how usefull Dr Carson's treatment can be for defence purposes :)

You forget something. You have a white boxe 'Actions may be taken' before the active player commit his character and another one after your opponnent commit his characters (cf p.13)

So if you are active player, you can also :

0) Play a blind soumission to take controle of an opponent character

1)Then when you commit your characters you can also commit the character you control with Blind soumission (if he was ready).

2) - 3) as you said

4) After a defender commit his character, you can play a blind soumission to remove one of his character from a story (and for example make an unchallenged strory)

The same if you are the non active player.

0) Play a blind soumission to take controle of an opponent character

1) the active player commit his characters (minus the character you control !)

2) Actions can be made. You could play again a blind soumission to remove an opponent's character for example.

3) You commit your characters to defend (you can commit the character you control if he is always ready)

4) Actions can be made. You could play again a blind soumission to remove an opponent's character for example.

It's thesame thing with Dr Carson's treatment and all event cards or Triggered effects or abilities. The moment (the timing) where you will play them during the story phase can change a lot of things for you or your opponent