New to Dust!

By Friztang80, in Dust Warfare

I am a long time 40k player, and warhammer fantasy. Those games are digging in my pockets just a bit. I am at my friends house and he says you gotta play dust its awesome and so much cheaper, so he says here take the allies I have out of my box set. My question to you guys is how can I build a competitve allie force. I will be getting the rule book next week, but I figured I could ask some experienced players for advice on where,how, and what to start with and what the allies strengths are..I will thank you guys, and gals ahead of time, so thanks.

Welcome to the crazy world of Dust! Your friend was right on both counts. :)

I'll leave the decent Allied army suggestions to other people (I play Axis), although the units in the core set are a good starting point. In any case snipers (Crack Shots) are a good idea for some long-range suppression and damage dealing, and an extra command squad (either Corps Officers or The Boss) is handy to make a platoon you don't have a command squad for (although Rhino can lead an Elite platoon instead of the Corps Officers). Of course, there are also walkers, but everyone has their own preference for those.

The Allies are well-known for jump troops (The Hammers, Tank Busters, Grim Reapers), being able to drop heavy walkers from the skies right where it's most inconvenient for the opponent, and phasers. They also have some great heroes and will get aircraft in the next few weeks.

Dust is pretty well balanced, so really you can just build an army you like the look of and it'll be fun to play. I'm partial to zombies, lasers and jets. :)

Thanks for your response. I will have to get rule book to check out the stats. How many expansions are there? and if you dont have expansions does it put you at a competitive dis advantage?

Friztang80 said:

Thanks for your response. I will have to get rule book to check out the stats. How many expansions are there? and if you dont have expansions does it put you at a competitive dis advantage?

For one, welcome to the best faction. :D

There are fan-made Unit Cards that will help you if you don't want to buy the expansion books - since two of them have very few Allied units in them.

Also, if you want help with competitive lists and stuff, head over to Dust-War.com and seek me out (OldHat there). Check out the FORSCOM section and look through my posts and our member Wolvan's posts - we both post some pretty competitive stuff. :D

Playstyle-wise, I go for Jump troops and Sniper support and leave the armor out, excluding the Fireball Drop list, which runs two of the mighty tanks that give it is name. There are loads of articles on Dust-War.com you can read through about Allied stuff and the forums are loaded too.

Thats what I was thinking , jump troops and snipers. Is there a list you play with that I can look over to give me some ideas. Where I live there is maybe one or two allie players and loads of axis and the other group ssu or whatever they are called.

Thats what I was thinking , jump troops and snipers. Is there a list you play with that I can look over to give me some ideas. Where I live there is maybe one or two allie players and loads of axis and the other group ssu or whatever they are called.

Friztang80 said:

Head here and take a look . Lots and lots of lists. "Covering the BBQ" is pretty up-to-date - has a few good lists in it.

Thanks for the props Oldhat!

Their are multiple good lists to play on the dust-war forums and discussions about the various units. I'm currently playing my Covered with BBQ list and have made some tweaks since its inception but have been doing pretty well. Its a very aggressive play style list, but it fits me. Once I get it down and proven I'll start messing witih some other lists, such as OldHats "Hammer Time" and some stuff with the new units in Icarus.

Wolvan said:

Thanks for the props Oldhat!

Credit where credit is due. You make some solid lists!