Scenario 3 is up!

By Twilight, in Arkham Horror League

Hmmm.... not sure I want to put any clues at the bank with those rules. Otherwise it doesn't look that bad. It does look a little more challenging than the last scenario...

A few questions:

Does the investigators + 4 win condition still exist? (I know, it doesn't say it does, but I want to make sure).

Other than the the corruption cards, are the rules for banking clues the same as the last scenario?

Is anyone going to try and win this one with the musical duo of Jim Culver and Marie Lambeau?

JIM CULVER?

Are you kidding me?

I think my group has unanimously agreed that he is the WORST investigator ever.

johnwatersfan said:

JIM CULVER?

Are you kidding me?

Now you make me want to use the guy, just to be a contrarian.....

johnwatersfan said:

JIM CULVER?

Are you kidding me?

Feh. Wrong. Decent stats. Green other worlds is useful, even though it's not great compared to Gloria's ability. Dead Man's Stomp can be a lifesaver under certain circumstances (wraith or mummy), and most importantly, Golden trumpet can be a major asset if you have a low sanity investigator. Heh... Second most importantly, he starts with three clue tokens. He's not bad, he's just not particularly good. I'm not crazy about him, but I don't wince when he's drawn. Three clues and a Silver Trumpet are useful starting equipment.

I wince! I wince!

We have never had a good game with him involved.

Green other world encounters ability sucks. I mean first, you have to enter an other world without the green marker. And yes, you could be saying "Oh just make sure you only enter those worlds," but honestly, who has the choice to mess around until the other world they want gets picked out of the pile. Our philosophy is if you have enough clues, get into the closest gate and seal. Or seal the woods or independence square. And then if you do get lucky enough to be in one where there isn't an green encounter, you rarely even GET the green encounter because hey, you still have a good chance of getting red or yellow while you're visiting R'yleh. Don't forget that if you do send him into R'yleh you only get one die to try closing the gate under normal circumstances. If his ability was, "While traveling through the other worlds you ONLY get green encounters" then it might be worthwhile.

Nuking an undead monster for a clue. Great. How many undead monsters are in the monster cup and are likely to show up? How many times have I been trapped by an undead monster because I just spent all my clues closing and sealing a gate? Okay maybe just once, but it was enough to get me really pissed off.

And Golden Trumpet. Great to GIVE TO ANOTHER PLAYER. Give him something more useful for himself. Sometimes I feel like Jim Culver's job in the game is to give away all his equipment, get knocked unconscious by tough monsters and RETIRE.

And I'm only talking about this from personal experience. There was a time that every other game I played I randomly drew Jim Culver. I played him so much I learned how horrible of a character he is.

I suppose the good side of it could be that at least he doesn't have a speed of three...

And sorry about the rant.

I don't like him because of the Pigeon in the Artwork.

johnwatersfan said:

I wince! I wince!

Green other world encounters ability sucks. I mean first, you have to enter an other world without the green marker. And yes, you could be saying "Oh just make sure you only enter those worlds," but honestly, who has the choice to mess around until the other world they want gets picked out of the pile. Our philosophy is if you have enough clues, get into the closest gate and seal. Or seal the woods or independence square. And then if you do get lucky enough to be in one where there isn't an green encounter, you rarely even GET the green encounter because hey, you still have a good chance of getting red or yellow while you're visiting R'yleh. Don't forget that if you do send him into R'yleh you only get one die to try closing the gate under normal circumstances. If his ability was, "While traveling through the other worlds you ONLY get green encounters" then it might be worthwhile.

Nuking an undead monster for a clue. Great. How many undead monsters are in the monster cup and are likely to show up? How many times have I been trapped by an undead monster because I just spent all my clues closing and sealing a gate? Okay maybe just once, but it was enough to get me really pissed off.

And Golden Trumpet. Great to GIVE TO ANOTHER PLAYER. Give him something more useful for himself. Sometimes I feel like Jim Culver's job in the game is to give away all his equipment, get knocked unconscious by tough monsters and RETIRE.

And I'm only talking about this from personal experience. There was a time that every other game I played I randomly drew Jim Culver. I played him so much I learned how horrible of a character he is.

I suppose the good side of it could be that at least he doesn't have a speed of three...

Heh... I've deliberately had him retired before ;') As for the clues and sealing. Stick an elder sign on him and have him take down a nasty gate with it. Have him seal two gates. An easy one with clues, a harder one with the elder sign. I was amused by your undead story. And you're right, he *doesn't* have a speed of three :')

Personally, I try to delay sealing a bit, while I'll usually rush for the first gate sealing, or sometimes even the second, I like to have a little extra stuff on gate sealers in case they run into problems in the Other Worlds.

This seems alot harder then the last scenario. ALL of the BGotW is added which i think also means the Herald (yuck!). Maybe I'm missing something but I feel great amounts of pain coming this time.

FAQ up above states that the Herald is NOT put into play --- YET!

hard part will be seeing all those clue tokens disappear into the ether after all the hard work in Scenario 2...

I don't like it, we're back to trying to defeat the AOO in final combat

You can keep the clues... Just take a bunch of corruption cards ;)

So how many times do you think we will have to defeat Shubby in this league? There seems to be a very heavy Black Goat of the Woods Theme.

Twilight said:

You can keep the clues... Just take a bunch of corruption cards ;)

So how many times do you think we will have to defeat Shubby in this league? There seems to be a very heavy Black Goat of the Woods Theme.

Yes. This League set is called Temptation to Buy Black Goat of the Woods :')

Avi_dreader said:

Yes. This League set is called Temptation to Buy Black Goat of the Woods :')

And I'm giving in because i can't play it otherwise.

And I brought CoDP the other week, think that this will go about similary to the last League. Should have bought DGoW.

sad.gif

tamsyn said:

I don't like it, we're back to trying to defeat the AOO in final combat

That's what happened to us when we played last night. We only put two clue tokens on the Bank so we wouldn't suffere any Corruptions at the start of the game (8 corrupted investigators isn't necessarily a good thing). The only gate we sealed was with Sister Mary, and that was only because I got one of those Outer World encounter where I rolled dice equal to my sanity and for each success got a clue token...and rolled 5 successes! Well, Shub woke up and we got it down to 11 hits left defore we ran out of monster trophies. The sad part was I also had Duke on Sister Mary with Dread Curse of Azazoth, and I was rolling lots of dice. But once we got the -1, -2 and -3 rolls vs. Sneak I couldn't succeed. Had Mary survived another turn (or two) we might have had a chance. It was a close fight, though.

However, at least we can seal 6 gates this time around (normal win conditions apply). Next time we play, though, i think we're going to suffer the corruption cards just to start with some clues.

JerusalemJones said:

tamsyn said:

We only put two clue tokens on the Bank so we wouldn't suffere any Corruptions at the start of the game

According to the FAQ you have to bank the clues in groups of three, so that's not allowed.

Relating to this, we wondered if you do start with the corruption card decks as described in the Black Goat rules, THEN draw your corruption cards for clues? So if you start with 4 investigators and 6 clues, do you draw all 8 green corruption cards, leaving only the 8 red ones for the rest of the game? That's how we played it, and it makes it, um, difficult.

puck71 said:

Relating to this, we wondered if you do start with the corruption card decks as described in the Black Goat rules, THEN draw your corruption cards for clues? So if you start with 4 investigators and 6 clues, do you draw all 8 green corruption cards, leaving only the 8 red ones for the rest of the game? That's how we played it, and it makes it, um, difficult.

I thought you're supposed to do 16+16.

johnwatersfan said:

I wince! I wince!

I have to concur with this! I just played with Jim Culver and OMG this guy sucks!! If he wasn't knocked unconscious, then he was lost in time and space. I seriously considered putting him in the paper shredder, but the card stock is to thick and I wouldn't want to have to buy a new shredder. I hope Insmouth comes out with a "Wizard Whatley" version of Jim Culver so I can blast him to hell with a tommy gun!

Dam said:

puck71 said:

I thought you're supposed to do 16+16.

puck71 said:

If you are then the Black Goat rules are wrong. In the section about corruption cards it says to shuffle the 8 green corruption cards and 8 red corruption cards, and stack the greens on top of the reds. Is this a misprint? Were there originally going to be only 8 of each instead of 16, and they didn't change the whole rulebook?

IIRC, it was felt (by us, the players) that the 8+8 harked back to the Epic Battle from KH and FFG just forgot to update the in-box rulesheet. The downloadable version has 16+16.

Dam said:

puck71 said:

If you are then the Black Goat rules are wrong. In the section about corruption cards it says to shuffle the 8 green corruption cards and 8 red corruption cards, and stack the greens on top of the reds. Is this a misprint? Were there originally going to be only 8 of each instead of 16, and they didn't change the whole rulebook?

IIRC, it was felt (by us, the players) that the 8+8 harked back to the Epic Battle from KH and FFG just forgot to update the in-box rulesheet. The downloadable version has 16+16.

Heh... They really ought to post their card text to the forums prior to publication ;') we make good free factcheckers.

Wow this scenario is challenging! Tried to replay this scenario to get higher than our highest score yet (20). Last night we were at 28 points with McGlen one turn out from closing our final gate when Arkham happened! We ended up with 7 points and 4 dead investigators!!! This is a good scenario!

Ozzy

So, are we sure normal win conditions apply or are we just guessing because it says nothing on the card?

Don John said:

So, are we sure normal win conditions apply or are we just guessing because it says nothing on the card?

Played this again last night and it was a torrid affair of insanity and broken bones, and don't get me started on the dark young. Now that the easyish winning conditions are gone it is all down to the final fight and that is one tough mother. This time we tried tooling up for the final fight and it didn't go any better. Used Marie and Wilson and it sucked. Spellcasting sucks. Going to have to play again with different chars and get corrupted up the wazu.