I'm writing a lifestyle article on tabletop wargaming…

By DerWunderWaffle2, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Hello all!

I'm currently writing a lifestyle article for my magazine journalism class. I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand by answering some questions.

1. How long have you been playing tabletop-war games?

2. Why did you start playing tabletop-war games?

3. What do you love about tabletop-war games?

4. What advice would you have for someone who wants to get into playing them?

Also, if you have any pictures of favorite models you've painted and would be willing to let me use them, I'd love to include a few in my article.

Cheers!

DerWunderWaffle said:

Since 2010.

Because I had friends willing to start together with me - and because we loved the miniatures!

The miniatures.

Play games with someone else's minis, use proxies to play your own games, read the manual before buying anything, read lots of forum posts, research prices, understand your favorite faction, see if you like the miniatures - and then start spending money.

DerWunderWaffle said:

Hello all!

I'm currently writing a lifestyle article for my magazine journalism class. I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand by answering some questions.

mid 90's

friends got me into it

the gameplay. It is like roleplaying a general in a war.

do your research, Miniature games are big investments of time and money but well worth it, and remember it is only a game, have fun!

Also, if you have any pictures of favorite models you've painted and would be willing to let me use them, I'd love to include a few in my article.

Cheers!

I'm 33 and have been playing them since I was a teenager.

Fun, challenging, skillbased. Chess is a good example of such a game, often omitted for some reason, although the war theme is evident enough.

Same as in #2 + that you can develop your skills and do an analysis of your game. In many cases it's also customization and replayability that contributes to the fun-factor.

Start with cheap and simple stuff and a theme you really like. Theme is very important as a newcomer to the genre, and so is simplicty. Don't be fooled to think that the more complex the game the better it is. Avoid getting games that take more than 1-2h to play, at least from the start. Also avoid games that require 3 players or more to play, as you are likely to play them very seldom after a month or so.

Most of the tabletop gamers don't paint their models, while hobby miniature gamers do. Here are two pictures I took of my pre-painted (dust models) models that I am fond of that you're free to use:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1191229/dust-tactics

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1191832/dust-tactics

DerWunderWaffle said:

Hello all!

30+ years. (Yeah im old)

I grew up right before video games were popular so it was a natural progression from other board games of the time.

It was always fun to play and different every time.

4. What advice would you have for someone who wants to get into playing them? DIve in !!! 8rad1_zpsb3048b66.jpg photo-9_zps2d6e743a.jpg photo-5.jpg photo-7_zps6d83dc34.jpg

Cheers!