My first Relic Match yesterday

By B3stie, in Relic

Hello,

Me and my friend, who played yesterday are very experienced in Talisman(since 15 years or something like this).

So the rules where very fast explained. We played the first scenario(Mystery beyoned) with 3 players.

Setup was: Sister Sororitas, Inquisitor Malleus and the Techpriest.

After the frist few turns the Techpries was so demoralisied (Dices and Cards), that we allowed him to draw another character and so he played withe the rouge trader.

The gameflow was like this: The Inquistor managed to get some really easy missions and was in turn 5-6 the owner of a relic(a stormhammer), soon managed to smash some foes and leveled up really fast. He was level 8 while the others where level 2-4. But then the sister soritas took the chance(meanwhile level 8) to enter the inner circle, both other characters behind him. She died, then died the Inquistor and in the end the level 4 rouge trader(with a amazing relic, giving him a powercard every turn) won the game. This was a supprise!

So my thoughts/tips:

- First of all: Shuffle the card decks REALLY good , they seemed to be orderd in some way(we saw no single eldar eg.)

- The standard assets(Power Sword, Stormbolter, etc) where very fast very uninterresing - that was pity. We managed to get 2 Relic weapons really fast and so the standard assets where reduced to gadgets, only usefull in very few moments.

-There was very few interaction, also the mission cards gave us very few oppurtunities to deal with the others. There where allys who could drain life from the other agends(under special circumstances), and corruption that worked in a similiar way but i missed the interaction a lot

- There was much infuluence in the game(many chances to get 1D6 Infulence and many enemys dropped Influence) and you got only few moments to spend it

- The missons were very funny as we where hunting for the relics

-there seemed[i did not check it really] no card to be doubled(except power cards), so we are talking about a LOT unique cards - very good!

-The game lasted a bit over three hours - why ist there printed in the box 1-2 hours??? That seems to be a FFG thing. ;)

-There where challeging enemys also in the endgame! Very good!

- There were so many threat cards that we only used 2/3 of them that is also nice!

- The exploding 6 is a very nice mechanic, so was every battle a bit exciting

Fazit: I am not disappointed! The game is very funny, easy to learn[and easy to master har har]. I look forward to expansions and many matches in future.

Please excuse typings and my english!

Best wishes

B3stie said:

- The standard assets(Power Sword, Stormbolter, etc) where very fast very uninterresing - that was pity. We managed to get 2 Relic weapons really fast and so the standard assets where reduced to gadgets, only usefull in very few moments.

You can use the Relics and normal weapons together since no Relics are weapons. You just can't use two weapons together.

It's probably essential you can. In our games last night the number of exploding dice rolled for enemies was obscene!

Wow, i think you are right! Thanks for the correction!

B3stie said:

-The game lasted a bit over three hours - why ist there printed in the box 1-2 hours??? That seems to be a FFG thing. ;)

First game yesterday and second game today, both with 3, both finished in under two hours. People playing slow isn't the game's fault.

Bad luck with the Tech Priest? Wow, surprising. I just played my first game earlier today with 3 players, myself as the assassin, one player as a tech preist, and the last as the space marine (who did the absolute worst in combat, though this was in no way the character cards fault just lots of ones on his part and lot's of exploding 6's on the enimies, serioulsy had strength one gobo's scoring a 28 at one point). The tech preist won (game lasted about 4 hours) being vanquished twice but overall doing absolutely amazing because he just amased gear (two corner points selling trophies then buying more equip") enough to breeze through the inner tear at level 12.

So far, having seen character once (Ogryn and Ratling twice), Tech-Priest is very much looking like Priest from Talisman, solidly like the bottom of the barrel character. First game, he never levelled up and managed to kill less than five enemies, while also getting vanquished twice.

Me and my friend played two games last week-end and we had a blast.Both games were very challenging and at the same time two different experiences.Simply with different characters and endings.We're both Talisman fan and we're planning on using some Relic mechanics on our next game.I would'nt mind if one day FFG is releasing a adventure boardgame on the Warhammer Fantasy setting based on the Relic game system.It probably won't happen but we never know.

I've played quite a few games now and have drawn the tech priest a few times. I rather like the tech priest. You rely alot on wargear to counter weaknesses in your abilities, as you would expect. Over a course of a game I've managed to collect quite an arsenal of weapons and wargear and then able to take on most if not all challenges. As with all games, a lot depends on your early battles before you hit your stride and also the cards you draw. If you manage to fight a few good battles and collect some good wargear cards then I think he can be quite a character. I've yet to play all the character types to be able to list who is best and who isn't although to compare I found the Commissar quite hard to play as I didn't draw any asset or stranger cards to 'execute' for him to get his bonus. At least with the tech priest you don't have to sacrifice a good wargear card in order grant yourself a bonus.