Expansions

By Hornaru, in Relic

To avoid deck dilution in future expansions, they should retain the drawing chance of a particular type of Threat card. For instance, introducing too many Encounter threat cards would overpower the Commissar.

I wouldn't mind if they dilute the Power deck. Iron Discipline cards should be made scarcer.

It's really crying out for more player interaction. The best parts of the game right now are when you get to move or chase down other player's. The promised PvP can't come soon enough for me.

A nice compromise re: getting chaos-like characters would to be to introduce the more dubious elements of the Imperium. For example, Radical Inquisitors, fringe Space Marine Chapters, criminal Overlords, etc. You could even have characters who aren't overall loyal to the Imperium but who appear to be, such as fourth generation Genestealer hybrids, secret cultists, etc.

What I'd really like to see is the PvP element working with a hidden traitor mechanic of some sort, in the style of Battlestar Galactica / Shadows over Camelot. The enemy within is a common theme of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and could work well to add another dimension to the game.

I'm hoping that we see something like the Talisman corner boards. I'd love to see a Necron tomb or space hulk board to explore.

This...I hope they do it good too.

Well, if we think about it, there are currently 4 ennemy types: Daemons, eldar, orks and tyrannids which could make for 4 themed corner expansions.

For each corner expansion, you would introduce new human characters, and a themed character that acted like "death" in the Talisman expansion "the reaper".

This way, you could have an ork character which would wonder the board in search of trouble. That could be fun. Eventually, you could have an ork, an eldar, a tyrannid and a daemon roaming the board.

It could be as simple as : when you land on a space that has one of those character, draw a threat according to the character (so red for ork, yellow for eldar, blue for tyrannid, and choose 1 for daemon)

Still, i think it might be while before we see an expansion. The game was released in March.

If they release board expansions I would really love to see something more like Arkham Horror boards, not corner ones...It would be easier and, my personal opinion here, more appealing visually than weird corner boards. Since Relic is kind of Talisman 2.0, why not take this opportunity to rethink the board expansion to better reprensent the immensity of the galaxy.

Maybe even some boards not physically connected to the main board, like in Talisman, but other boards representing foreign systems that you could explore via some specific spaces on the main board. You could layout them anyway you want and teleport to these far away systems to complete missions and tasks.

I can see a bright future for Relic and I hope to see many cool expansions.

Well, to be fair, it has now been 6 months since the release and we know that some games from FFG have gotten expansions within their first 6 months of release. I would have thought that GenCon 2013 would have been the time to get the rumor mill going for an expansion, but I guess they are quite busy with X-wing and Eldrich horror and the new games that FFG is releasing.

Still, something for christmas would be nice.

Edited by guillaumetexas

I think FFG is busy working on the 3 trillion games they announced in the past few months lol and forgot about their existing one :P

But i'm confident that we'll see some cool announcements before fall...finger crossed.

What I would like to see is a 5-6 (or 5-8) player expansion.

5-6 players? whoa, a 4 players game takes a while already. I can't imagine how long a 6 player game would take. The more I play the game, the more I am finding the inner tier very irritating.

You're just moving 1 space at a time, losing life over skill test which have no impact on your progression. Winning Relic doesn't feel good enough to me. I am not super excited and don't feel like I deserve the win. I struggled throughout the outer and middle tier until I get a relic, maybe 8 influences and/or 8 trophy points and enough life to make it (at least 6, 7 is better), and then I am off to the center.

The outer and middle tier is all about exploring and dealing with very different threats. The inner is just skill test that one can't pass most of the time, and then you move 1 square. Let us fail in the inner tier with consequences, not just -1 life.

I am really looking forward to an inner tier expansion like a space hulk/hive where you keep encountering threat (maybe have a different deck for those) so that it feels like you are continuing with your story and delving deeper into the scenario. It should also come with various end-bosses to fight rather than the sometime confusing winning condition that some of the current scenarios have. They are fine for players with experience, but with first time player, I never use any scenarios because they are too complicated.

Just give us big-A** monsters to fight in an epic finale.

FFG stated that PvP will come in Relic sometimes so it's one expansion semi-officialized :P

I'd like FFG to take a different road with expansion then they did with Talisman. They showed they can take a game and enhance it's gameplay majorly (imo) so why not try a new format for those expansions?

Detached boards for new sectors would be cool. Put the board aside the main one and you can access it from 1 space or with specific items like drop pods or starships.

Can't wait to see what's coming for Relic.

Detached boards for new sectors would be cool. Put the board aside the main one and you can access it from 1 space or with specific items like drop pods or starships.

They have done it with Battlestar Galactica where you discard 1 of the card in your hand, so I don't see why they can't do the same. Perhaps pay 2 influences to move to a new sector/small planet/humongous star cruiser, that would a pretty obvious way of dealing with it.

It has now been 8 months since the release of Relic, I would think an expansion would start to be announced right around....now (come on FFG work with me here)...now...now.

I am really looking forward to an expansion! I check the upcoming section at least twice a month. :)

I just purchased Relic and played it with my gaming group. My first impression is that it kicks Talisman in the face. I own 90% of all the expansions of Talisman (all but the Dragon expansion) and have been playing Talisman for the past 15 years, so as you can see I am a pretty big fan of the game. However, having the experience I have in playing Talisman I have come to realize that there are many elements of the game that need some serious house rules to make it more enjoyable. Well, when I began playing Relic i realized that they fixed 90% of the problems I saw with Talisman. I sincerely hope that FF makes some expansions, especially if they make expansions with full size characters! No more busts. Anyone else think they could have made way more money if they would have included full size 40K figs? Most of my 40K fans would have bought the game just for the figs to add to their armies!

However, as I was reading through the earlier posts, I noticed that players stated that games like Gears of War and Middle Earth Quest didnt get expansions. Might this have been an Intellectual Property problem? Gears of War gave FFG the copyright to do 1 game but FFG may not have secured further copyright.

That is possible. It wouldn't be the first time FFG had been screwed by a third party pulling their rights. That said, FFG is getting pretty good at negotiating these things (they do a lot of work with third party IPs), so I'd be inclined to say it's more likely due to lack of sales and FFG deciding not to bother with expansions.

Relic uses Orks, eldar and all sorts of insignia which are GW copyright. After all, the Warrior in Talisman 4th edition is not GW copyright nor is the card "magical wand". Relic is a brand new game and has no history of expansion. Yes, FFG mentions pvp but that could be a PDF release.

FFG and GW seem to have a good working relationship from other games they've done together. Death Angel seems to have a large-ish number of expansions, and it's working with the 40K IP as well. Not to mention the various 40K RPGs FFG is working on.

I don't know if FFG would have negotiated for any expansions up front or not (I honestly don't know how those sorts of details are worked out), but I don't imagine FFG would have too much trouble securing such an expansion from GW if they wanted it. GW seems content to continue issuing FFG license to make more and more new 40k games, so I don't see why they'd balk at expansions to an existing game.

As for the PDF thing, it seems to me that FFG rarely releases expansions in that format. Perhaps for RPGs, but I'm not aware of a PDF-only expansion to any of their board games. It's more likely, I think, that any new rules they want to add to Relic will come along with plastic and cards (and maybe a new board) in a new box.

Edited by Steve-O

The problem I can see with Chaos as playable characters would be that it makes no sense when you consider the corner spaces of the tiers which are Imperial. Chaos shouldn't be able to use them. I think they will keep characters to just imperial but that PVP will be allowed should a character reach X number of corruption cards.

But the corners will be replaced with new regions in the expansions... In the first expansion, if we had chaos characters, one of the corners would be replaced with his own chaos region...

Edited by arkiva

If they release board expansions I would really love to see something more like Arkham Horror boards, not corner ones...It would be easier and, my personal opinion here, more appealing visually than weird corner boards. Since Relic is kind of Talisman 2.0, why not take this opportunity to rethink the board expansion to better reprensent the immensity of the galaxy.

Maybe even some boards not physically connected to the main board, like in Talisman, but other boards representing foreign systems that you could explore via some specific spaces on the main board. You could layout them anyway you want and teleport to these far away systems to complete missions and tasks.

I can see a bright future for Relic and I hope to see many cool expansions.

This is a great idea, which i think can be used too to expand the own Talisman.

Hi,

Any news on when we will get an expansion?

Hi,

Any news on when we will get an expansion?

Well, no, but Talisman just got an expansion.

And actually, looking at the Firelands expansion for Talisman, there is a new mechanic for token space where players can change a space into a new space, which got me thinking about chaos players and whether they would be allowed to use the corners to move into the middle because they are Imperial spaces.

If this new expansion was chaos based, there could be 4 Chaos token corners where after a series of event (or a series of chaos missions), a corner becomes corrupted by chaos allowing chaos players to move up into the middle tier. This new chaos corner would not be usable by imperial players until the corner has been purged of its corruption somehow.

Still, good news for Talisman, still hoping for some better news for Relic.

Edited by guillaumetexas

Necromunda, please! I would sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo love a Necromunda board and its associated cards (Goliaths, etc.).

Just got the base game and Nemesis yesterday and am already looking forward to Halls of Terra!