Navy/Sith Turtle Control Deck

By JMCB, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

This is something I'm throwing together today and going to play though until Thursday or so with my play group.

1x Shadows on the Ice
1x Looking for Droids
2x Lord Vader's Command
2x The Killing Cold
2x Imperial Command
2x Counsel of the Sith

The idea of the deck is to ramp up with resources while building up defense with units like "Heavy Stormtrooper Squad" and "Wampa" (which can cost 1 or less if they you or the oppoent have a Hoth objective out), pinging some damage here and there with "Viper Probe Droids" and "Kuati Security Team", and then control the board with cards like "Icetromper", "Imperial Suppression", and "It's Worse". Then to finish the game, you drop Vader or "Orbital Bombardment", or worse case scenario you turtle to the win.

I was running 1x "Death and Despayre" over the "Looking for Droids" objective a few days ago, and this deck was tearing through my opponents. I did want to try "It's Worse" in here, and I feel like "Viper Probe Droids" might be needed to ensure I destroy enough objectives for tournament tie breaker points over the solo copy of Devestator. The resources are also wanky so "Dark Alliance" might be used here or there outside an edge battle for once. It's easy to just sit back and defend with 4 copies of "Twist of Fate" in the deck and even better if you have a Counsel of the Sith out, and while controlling the force could be a problem as most units in the deck have one icon, if you have "Adviser to the Emperor", Vader, or Motti out with the new card "Fear", it helps. You also get some cool tricks in the deck like "Succomb to the Cold!" which could lock out a unit for a turn, or the much less likely to be used "The Desolation of Hoth", which could kill off crucial units or even a light side player's Hoth objective.

I can see the lack of direct damage being a problem with this deck, especially against Ewoks, but the ability to shut down or even stop events could be crucial in Jedi matchups. I am looking for feedback so feel free to try it out.

What is your average Force Icons you will have in Edge battles? It seems pretty low. Other than that I am intrigued and will try it too to offer more feedback.

Average is a bit low to be honest, but you make up for it with 4 Twist of Fates, and a bunch of 3's and 2's.

Which affiliation are you using?

It's Navy affiliation. Most of your Sith cards are situational as is, like Fear and The Desolation of Hoth.

Just played 11 games with the deck today - against Rebel Vehicle (2-0), then against with Jedi Mains (3-1), and followed by a Pure Jedi with Redemption and Jedi Trainings (3-2).

Overall, it's performing better than I thought, but I did catch my opponent off the first few games while he was running Jedi Mains, so I don't think that matchup is as good as it could be.

Okay, I've got to ask. What does this deck do better than standard Sith control?

I honestly don't know at this point, because right now, if it were in a competitve tournament, I'd run standard Sith Control.

The Wampas are a beating since you don't have to win the edge to attack with them and 75% of the time they will survive the attack to kill what they wanted. The Icetrompers were doing better than I thought - when you win the edge they can do up to two damage, so I was impressed with them. But the most unexpected thing was having them prevent the opponent from attack non-Hoth objectives, then forcing them to essentially attack Hoth objectives to get value out of the card that moves damage. The Killing Cold, when attacked, can throw off your opponent's objective damage math, as you can just sack a probe droid to heal it. I was also surprised to see that sacking probe droids was decent at direct objective damage. Usually you only have to do about 4 damage to destroy objectives.

Mainly the games I lost where A) I didn't have a Hoth objective out, making some cards useless, or even more expensive in the case of Wampa, or B) Multiple Guardians on the board or C) Super Yoda/Luke with a Guardian out with drawing no Icetrompers.

Right now, I would say, just try the deck out, and play it in a local meta. You could probably do good with it right now just because people will not know what to do or make bad plays.

So far tonight lost every game.

Pretty much did as you said in previous post, but either bad draws (no Hoth or no Ice-Ts) or they set up faster than I could. Luke is a beast even more now with this expansion and this deck goes to pot against vehicles (atleast with what I have experienced so far).

Still going to try it out more and see. I will let you know.

I played some more games today, and had trouble against Old Ben on powerhouse characters or Guardians in multiple games. So now I'm trying a varient of the deck that runs -2 Lord Vader's Command and -1 Looking for Droids and +1 The Emperor's Web and +2 Fall of the Jedi. So far it's been doing a lot better than todays games, but isn't destroying many objectives at all (one or two tops in a game).

Played 3 games last night.

Doesn't stand a good chance against Luke/Ben/Yoda/Solo decks. I don't think it can win. I got better against it, but still oly got to about 8-9 on dial and no chance of blowing up anymore objs.

Did a lot better and won against some Rebel vehicles when I thought it wouldn't.

I beat a Engineer/ cannon deck that normally gives me fits. This deck has a lot of health so that style doesn't hurt.

I had dismantled this deck prior to playing today, but TGO decided to laugh at the list, so I rebuilt it and played it today in our local tournament of four people. I played a few games with the original version today - beat a rebel vehicle deck, and lost to a Han/Luke deck with Old Ben's Spirits in place of Secret of Yavin IV. The deck lacks good removal / tactics, and could benefit from "Tear This Ship Apart!" and "Detained" to help against the Spirits.

The more I play with Viper Probe Droids, the more I dislike them. They were really a test as I never really played with the card except when I first started playing, and I remember why I didn't like them.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend playing with this deck in a competitive tournament unless you wanted to play something a little wonky. It is fun to play though, and can do some pretty stupid things.

JMCB said:

I had dismantled this deck prior to playing today, but TGO decided to laugh at the list, so I rebuilt it and played it today in our local tournament of four people. I played a few games with the original version today - beat a rebel vehicle deck, and lost to a Han/Luke deck with Old Ben's Spirits in place of Secret of Yavin IV. The deck lacks good removal / tactics, and could benefit from "Tear This Ship Apart!" and "Detained" to help against the Spirits.

The more I play with Viper Probe Droids, the more I dislike them. They were really a test as I never really played with the card except when I first started playing, and I remember why I didn't like them.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend playing with this deck in a competitive tournament unless you wanted to play something a little wonky. It is fun to play though, and can do some pretty stupid things.

Im still laughing at the deck.

I forgot to mention in my follow up post that I did beat TGO.

JMCB said:

I forgot to mention in my follow up post that I did beat TGO.

one game is not I big enough sample size.

I will say that it does a good job playing defensive. It puts out a lot of units with some blasters. I like Wampa against rebel decks because all it does is kill units.