The Third Element

By GrimFinger, in Age of Conan

I needed a few prizes, for a little contest of sorts, and I figured that some board games would make good prizes. I decided to purchase the Age of Conan board game as the grand prize, so to speak. It's a game that I want for myself, but since I have no one to play it with, but still felt that it would make a good prize.

For a second prize, I also ordered Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. The reviews that I have read for this game on BoardGameGeek.com make me want it for myself. But, alas, it shall go to someone else, instead.

I just wanted to take a moment out to thank Fantasy Flight Games for producing games that grab my eye, and make me want to play them, even though I've never played any of Fantasy Flight Games' game products, before.

I didn't order the two games in question online, simply because Fantasy Flight Games made them. Rather, the individual products, themselves, are what attracted me to the games. Maybe one day, I will get to play some of the games myself (I have a son who is 3 1/2 years old, and hopefully, we will play some board games as he grows up). In the meantime, I console myself by visiting your company's website, from time to time, and drool over reviews on BoardGameGeek.com.

I still need to purchase a third prize, however, and am undecided on what to purchase. I am open to suggestions from anyone. I've considered purchasing a second copy of either Age of Conan or Battlestar Galactica, but would prefer to go with something different.

As a long time player of Hyborian War (a Play-By-Mail) game, Age of Conan caught my eye long ago. I hope that it lives up to all of the hoopla surrounding it, and I feel that the world is long overdue for a decent boardgame set in the Age of Hyboria.

Anyway, I hope that no one minds me posting this note, and if it is posted in the wrong place, feel free to move it, as needed. And, again, any suggestions on what game to order for a third prize would be appreciated. My thanks in advance!

- Charles -

How about Cosmic Encounter? Haven't tried it yet, but heard some good things.

If you like horror-themed game, I can vouch for Fury of Dracula.

Kingsburg?

War Of The Ring is excellent.

Descent and Doom have many, many miniatures to play with ;)

then, there are Arkham Horror and already mentioned Fury Of Dracula.

tough choice, really.

Given that the third prize should be a little smaller and/or less expensive, I would suggest one of the Silver Line games. Most of these games are great. One of the best features of them is that they are about the size of a macaroni box. You can travel with them and bring several games rather than just one larger game. They still have great cards and components like larger games, but many of them have easier rules. The cost is also much lower, between $15-25.

I recommend Citadels, Colossal Arena, and Condottiere. These are great games that you can fit in a backpack and are good for people new to gaming.