Deck building Idea with Hoth force pack

By XWing32, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

2X A hero's journey

2X In you Must Go

2X Hoth Operations

2X The Rebel Fleet

1 X A Message from Beyond

1X The Secret of Yavin

Let me know what you think of this. 60% jedi 40 hoth with rebel hoth and hoth jedi enhancements. Looks like this can do a lot of damage.. don't want to include 2 message from beyond with the risk of drawing potentiallly less units.

Switch Rebel Fleet with The Defense of Yavin 4.

Really no reason to include Home One pod - you will lose Home One, but you will gain Wedge's X-Wing, Astromech Upgrade and Rebel Assault. Especially the Astromech Upgrade is the important one here.

I am (or rather have been) actually trying similar deck before - Hoth Operations certainly compliments such strategy. What I have been thiánking goes along the lines of:

2x Journey to Dagobah
2x Hoth Operations
2x The Defense of Yavin 4
2x Hero's Journey
1x In You Must Go
1x A Message from Beyond

The problem with deck like these is you are combining two separate strategies: one character heavy (Jedi) and one vehicle heavy (Rebel). Hoth Operations and Journey to Dagobah benefit both strategies: they contain vehicles and the enchancements from Hoth Operations can be used on either vehicles or characters. The Problem is with the rest of the deck - even in your case, Secret of Yavin 4 x1 is not enough to protect all the meager 1 health Twi'leks, which are your only source of control on the board.

Although I must admit this deck is pure awesomness in regards to having fun playing it (talking about the pre-Hoth version with Home One). I've since switched to pure Jedi though - same attacking power, more control and ability to forget the Force struggle via Jedi training allows you to fully commit to the offensive.

This is the deck right here that I've been toying with, and it's got some sick power draws.

Affiliation: Jedi
2x A Hero's Journey
2x Journey to Dagobah
2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Hoth Operations

You lose out on the control that you get with playing just solid characters, but instead you get a plethora of strong units. You also get 2x Rebel Assault and 6x Target of Opportunity making the deck possibly explosive. I was playing around with Hit and Run in there, but the Operatives just die so easily. It would add a 7th Target of Opportunity, and you could possibly explode with the deck, but it would be really draw dependant.

Jedi_Knight said:

Really no reason to include Home One pod - you will lose Home One, but you will gain Wedge's X-Wing, Astromech Upgrade and Rebel Assault. Especially the Astromech Upgrade is the important one here.

I am (or rather have been) actually trying similar deck before - Hoth Operations certainly compliments such strategy. What I have been thiánking goes along the lines of:

2x Journey to Dagobah
2x Hoth Operations
2x Hero's Journey
1x In You Must Go
1x A Message from Beyond

The problem with deck like these is you are combining two separate strategies: one character heavy (Jedi) and one vehicle heavy (Rebel). Hoth Operations and Journey to Dagobah benefit both strategies: they contain vehicles and the enchancements from Hoth Operations can be used on either vehicles or characters. The Problem is with the rest of the deck - even in your case, Secret of Yavin 4 x1 is not enough to protect all the meager 1 health Twi'leks, which are your only source of control on the board.

Although I must admit this deck is pure awesomness in regards to having fun playing it (talking about the pre-Hoth version with Home One). I've since switched to pure Jedi though - same attacking power, more control and ability to forget the Force struggle via Jedi training allows you to fully commit to the offensive.

Thanks for the suggestion. In look at this further it makes sense to switch out rebel fleet with defense of yavin more I look at it. As far as your pure jedi deck, what objectives are you using?

Feel good about this now:

2 x a heros journey

2 x in you must go

2x journey to dagoban

2x secret of yavin

1 x old bens spirit

1 x hoth operations

I feel like this as good as I can get this to work. Only way to find out is some game action :) .

JMCB said:

This is the deck right here that I've been toying with, and it's got some sick power draws.

2x A Hero's Journey
2x Journey to Dagobah
2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Hoth Operations

You lose out on the control that you get with playing just solid characters, but instead you get a plethora of strong units. You also get 2x Rebel Assault and 6x Target of Opportunity making the deck possibly explosive. I was playing around with Hit and Run in there, but the Operatives just die so easily. It would add a 7th Target of Opportunity, and you could possibly explode with the deck, but it would be really draw dependant.

Thats the same exact deck I built last night after I left Lightspeed.

XWing32 said:

Jedi_Knight said:

2x Journey to Dagobah
2x Hoth Operations
2x Hero's Journey
1x In You Must Go
1x A Message from Beyond

Thanks for the suggestion. In look at this further it makes sense to switch out rebel fleet with defense of yavin more I look at it. As far as your pure jedi deck, what objectives are you using?

:)

JMCB said:

2x A Hero's Journey
2x Journey to Dagobah
2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Hoth Operations

:)

Jedi_Knight said:

JMCB said:

2x A Hero's Journey
2x Journey to Dagobah
2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Hoth Operations

This is pure offensive Jedi/Rebel mix. Comments there (mind you, I really do like the deck :) : Jedi Lightsaber can be put only on Luke. Hoth Survival Gear/Trust your Feelings on Twi'leks, Luke and possibly Wedge. That may become a waste of a card in your hand - same goes for Double Strike. I found that difficult to play: too much reliance on no more than 6 cards in a deck.

I will definitely try that, but I am more in favor of putting in more characters (preferably through Jedi Training, but The Secret of Yavin 4 can do to, since all these characters can use the lightsaber) since bulk of your enhancements works only on characters. The downside: 2 less Target of Opportunity.

I was winning games on turn 3 with Ackbars pod in the deck. It also cuts the DS off of force choke, which was huge, I noticed my opponent using one or two in edge battles.

I think by removing Ackbar you lose a nice combat trick but gain 2 more targets of opportunity and a much more aggressive combination of cards. I hope the rebels get a counter stroke of their own some day to protect against force lightning.

There are quite a bit of weird draws in the deck, but you're exchanging a few bad draws (which can easily be recouped in this game thanks to using them towards Edge battles) for explosive power. You just have to ditch what you don't need, and never hold on to anything unless you can use it then and there. This may seem like a drawback, but the game engine is more forgiving then what people think it is as long as you're not getting overwhelmed on the board. And the benefit to a deck like this (once you've played with it more and more) is you will see that this little draw back actually allows for some degenerate plays.

TGO, What set were you using in place for Ackbar's set? I wouldn't mind dropping him in, because a Trust Your Feelings or Double Strike on Ackbar can be like a mini bad Emperor. He does give you another good character to attack with, but then you're getting anti-vehicle stuff that clogs draws even more.

What about instead of Ackbar's sets one Hit and Run and one Echo Base Defense? Five more character units, one less Target of Opportunity (but chances to double it). I'd also be inclined to add in The Secret of Yavin 4 just because there's so many more character units. Then I might as well make a new deck. =P

JMCB said:

There are quite a bit of weird draws in the deck, but you're exchanging a few bad draws (which can easily be recouped in this game thanks to using them towards Edge battles) for explosive power. You just have to ditch what you don't need, and never hold on to anything unless you can use it then and there. This may seem like a drawback, but the game engine is more forgiving then what people think it is as long as you're not getting overwhelmed on the board. And the benefit to a deck like this (once you've played with it more and more) is you will see that this little draw back actually allows for some degenerate plays.

TGO, What set were you using in place for Ackbar's set? I wouldn't mind dropping him in, because a Trust Your Feelings or Double Strike on Ackbar can be like a mini bad Emperor. He does give you another good character to attack with, but then you're getting anti-vehicle stuff that clogs draws even more.

What about instead of Ackbar's sets one Hit and Run and one Echo Base Defense? Five more character units, one less Target of Opportunity (but chances to double it). I'd also be inclined to add in The Secret of Yavin 4 just because there's so many more character units. Then I might as well make a new deck. =P

The deck I was playing last night at Lightspeed had Ackbars set in it instead of Hoth Operations. I plan on taking out Ackbars set and replacing it with Hoth Operations. The Yavin 4 rebel location is awesome with all the ships. I was pitching the double strikes, and character specific stuff to make Red 5 and Red 2 cheaper. I had some explosive hands.

I don't know whether to be sad or happy that the Navy deck posted in the news article about the set being available is pretty much identical to the one I was planning to build…

dbmeboy said:

I don't know whether to be sad or happy that the Navy deck posted in the news article about the set being available is pretty much identical to the one I was planning to build…

I would rather have 1 Tarkin set and 2 Death and Despayre.

TGO said:

I would rather have 1 Tarkin set and 2 Death and Despayre.

That one's a tough call for me. I think I'd have to try it both ways a few times and see which works out better. Tarkin is just so sweet when you want to be aggressive, and the Stormtrooper Elite are good even without the new Vader.

It is the exact same as mine too just no Death and Despayre. I have Reconnaissance Mission in mine instead.

I was going to make a comment about the news deck, but realized that it's really off topic, so I'm going to make a new thread for that instead.

As for the deck here, I can't really comment on it, it seems like one of those ones that I need to see in action before I offer advice.

Looking at these decklists I am trying to figure out what role A Hero's Journey plays in the deck. I am still fairly new to the game. Is it mainly to have pitch cards, the resource excel, and if it lines up well, Luke with some enhances? I feel with my newness, I am just not seeing it yet. Care to shed some light on this?

Resources are key and Luke is easily one of the best cards in the game so it feels like an obvious choice. Trust Your Feelings is amazing.

Jedi_Knight said:

The problem with deck like these is you are combining two separate strategies: one character heavy (Jedi) and one vehicle heavy (Rebel). Hoth Operations and Journey to Dagobah benefit both strategies: they contain vehicles and the enchancements from Hoth Operations can be used on either vehicles or characters.

I only count one enhancement in Hoth Operations (Hoth Survival Gear), and it is only used on Characters.

MarthWMaster said:

I only count one enhancement in Hoth Operations (Hoth Survival Gear), and it is only used on Characters.

I imagine he's referring to Wedge.

Exactly.