general question

By alexw64, in Rune Age

hi there

i just bought the game and it looks really cool, but i have some questions;

1) is your starding deck consisted by 8 cards? 5 one gold and 3 lv 1 units? this is a bit strange becuase in your first round there are not much you can do with a deck like this. Also after your round ends and your deck your deck has only two cards left what do you do?

2) in solo or multi player game, the event deck is replaced once all player(s) end their turn? for example if an enemy is present is he still there until he is defeted or another card is drawn after all players end their turn?

3) Each clan has 4 neutral cities that must be gain in order to use them or they are in play from the start? for example each neutral card needs a power of 4 in order to get so if in your first turn you have nothing but gold you can do much do you, and if you want to keep some cards you do not have enough cities to rest in order to keep them in your hand

many thanks

Welcome to the game!

1) Yes, you only have those 8 cards in your starting decks. Page 12 states that "When a player needs to draw or reveal cards and is unable to do so because his deck is depleted, he reshuffleshis discard pile to create a new deck. He may then draw or reveal the cards he needs." So on your second turn, you will typically draw three cards, then shuffle your discard pile to create a new deck, then draw your remaining two cards. But remember that you can ONLY shuffle your discard pile when your deck is depleted AND you need to draw more cards. If you have 5 cards in your deck and you draw all five, you don't shuffle your discard pile to create your new deck unless you need to draw another card.

2) After each player has taken a turn, the first player reveals the top card of the event deck. If an enemy is in the central play area when you reveal another enemy, both enemies remain in play. They are only removed if they are defeated.

3) I'm not sure what you mean. Each faction has 3 strongholds that start in the barracks. They can be purchased with 4 gold using a spend gold action or 2 strength by starting a battle against one of them. Basically, any combination of opening hands should be able to net you at least one stronghold (though I usually never pay for them with gold). It's true that you can't keep cards in your hand very easily in the first couple turns, but your deck is small enough that I never really want to hold units in my first turn.

I hope that helps you out. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

thank you very much for taking time to explain to me these queries about the game, your answers are very clear and help me to understand better the game, If i have any more questions i will let you know :)

This is a very common thing in deck building games. You start with a miniscule deck that only lasts two turns, and you build it up from there. Glad you got things figured out!

hello folks

its been a while since i played this and finally i get back to it ( as i found new players that actually enjoy it) and played a few rounds yesterday so i have some more questions if someone can correct me where i am wrong or answer my question i would appreciate it.

so here we go (again) :)

1)When are the palyers draw up to their hand limit? At the end of their turn,at the end of the round, or at the end of each player round? ( i believe its the 3rd suggestion as the senario runewars will be pointless to play, but i have to make sure i have it right)

2) What do you do if a player have less than 5 cards in their deck? are they eliminated from the game?

3)abilities activation; Now here i got a bit confused. If my understanding is correct you can activate them during combat ( that is siege, against home realms of other players and against event deck enemies) or during the action face. so what happens if you are facing an instant event card (for example dragonlord Tzeitz)? are the abilities able to activate in this instant? also as a side sub-question here what about action cards, do they activate as well during the instant event card?

i want to have the best possible enjoyment from this game so these questions are inventively come up. Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

1) At the end of each player's turn and after the event phase is finished, each player replenishes their hand. So if you are player 1 in a 2-player game, you will finish your turn and draw back up to 5 cards. Then the other player will take a turn and you will draw up to 5 again (if you used any during the other player's turn). Then the event phase resolves and you will draw back up to 5 again. Look at step 4 on page 7 and the third paragraph on page 9.

2) Players are not eliminated by deck size. Theoretically, as long as a player has secured at least one stronghold, they can build their deck back up even from 0. The only way a player can be eliminated is if his or her home realm sustains 20 damage (see page 14).

3) Instant events that have attack home realms and have a strength cost are handled as battles (like enemies). You are free to use "when played," "resolution," and "end of combat" abilities as normal. However, "action" abilities can only be played on your own turn. If you look on page 10 of the rules, you'll see a section that says "Defend Against an Instant Card" under the step 4 of "Conduct a Battle" which is the Resolution step.

EDIT: I went back and added page references. The idea is not to rub it in your face and say, "It says right here in the rules!" Rather, I don't want you to just take my word for it, and I feel like if I point out where these things are in the rules, you'll start to get a handle on how the rule book is laid out so you can start to find stuff on your own more easily. But you can always come back to the forums to double check! :)

Edited by Budgernaut

hello again Budgernaut

thank you again for your replay and solving my questions about the game!! :)

i understand what you are saying and that is the best way to answer questions by referring to the page in the rule book. But coming to the forums ( at least this is what i think) the players are more experienced playing the game so some "silly" rookie question can be answered straight away :)

its been a while since i played this game and now with my collection getting bigger its only natural to forget the rules and sometimes the rule book might not be so clear ( i am not saying rune age is not clear but after a long time of sitting in the self is a bit confusing) so the forum is the second best place to get your answers

Thank you again, i hope that the company do something to expand this game because it is awesome!

I totally agree about the rule book not being easy-to-use. Is it clear? Yes. But sometimes it's hard to find where a rule is unless you reread the whole book.