Da Roolz are Up

By keltheos, in Relic

Hmm there appears to be a lack of rules for Players vs. Players…or did I miss a section? When we did a demo at Gencon we did PvP combat. I wonder if that was something taken out of the game or just made up on the spot.

I was really excited for this game until I read the rules.
Player elimination is a non-starter mechanic. That fact that this kind of thing still exists is obscene.

Gearjock said:

Hmm there appears to be a lack of rules for Players vs. Players…or did I miss a section? When we did a demo at Gencon we did PvP combat. I wonder if that was something taken out of the game or just made up on the spot.

It was done on purpose, since everyone's working for the common Interest of the Imperium of Man (to some extent, but see page 21). While Players can indirectly rough each other up, there is (at the moment) no reason for these heroic Imperials to knock each other's blocks off (except if a Mission calls for you to check up your Fellow Man for signs of Heresy but that's a diffrent story).

Then again, let's face it: The Inquision's three Orders would love to tell the other two to get out, the Imperial Guard gets treated like crap from the Sisters of Battle (as well as most Space Marine Chapters), and there's a few guys who are simply out for the biggest haul in the Galaxy. Taking the in-fluff Rivallies at face value, I'm quite surprized… but then again, when the eventual Expansions come along…

They comment on the lack of PvP somewhere in the rules, can't recall exactly where though. They'll be adding it in the expansions.

Yeah thanks for calling out that note on Page 21. I didn't notice on my quick read through. It kinda sucks we will have to wait for "official" PvP stuff, but I will be excited to see how they change it up to make it fit more fluff wise. In the meantime it wouldn't be too difficult to just port over some Talisman rules if my friends feel so inclined. Honestly though, we may not even bother because we loved how easy the game flowed when we played it at GenCon.

Gorehammer,

It's not as easy as it sounds to collect Corruption in the game, so don't worry, it won't happen often.

Also, I like the fact that players can 'turn to Chaos' and be lost to the game just like they should be in the fluff. Want to bet at some point some Chaos mechanics come into play where the player turns against the other players and can now PvP them? Sure, it's not in this ruleset, but it may be in the future.

In the meantime, houserule. If the player succumbs to corruption, treat it like a knockout reset, but force the player to sit out the number of turns equal to the coruption cards they had (and then discard them) or somesuch mechanic. Makes it better to get wounded in battle and patched up than to fight your way back from the precipice of eternal damnation.